IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robot, ABC-Warrior for a dronerigger, how ?
Fryland
post Sep 15 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,666

Hi

Im in a dilemma, i play a dronerigger in Shadowrun and im crayezd about robots/walkers but i cant seem to find stats or descriptions of such anywhere.

Can you help me?

My plan was to build/buy a big nasty robot, similar to the one found in the movie "Judge Dredd", the ABC-Warrior, with its two "arm-mounted" autocannons and the incredible mean look it should cause fear in even the most hardened securityguard.

I tried to "build" it myself, but after many hours of reading/calculating in the rigger book, i give up, its just too complex for me !

I need some realistic Stats and maybe a cool description of a ABC-Warrior or similar !

Best Regards

Martin Hansen
Denmark
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Sep 15 2004, 01:48 PM
Post #2

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

The ABC warrior is in reality beyond the scope of ability of SR's anthroform drones. You could probably do it if you didn't include all the weapons.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 15 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Use a walker chassis and mount some arms on it. That should be close enough.

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 15 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,621

Don't know about the ABC warrior, but you could easily a miniature Rifleman Battlemech from Battletech...

+Quote Post
Fryland
post Sep 15 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #5

Target

Yeah but think about it, you can get things lige jacksticks, dermal plating, cyberskates and an oral gun. Ofcurse you can build a ABC-Warrior replica, but the creators of the shadowrunworld just didnt made a big deal of writing the stats and desc. for such robot.

And then it comes to that i need all of your expert help, cause i WANT MY DAMN ROBOT nomatter how many :nuyen: ill spend, my char. have robotics B/R lvl 6, so in time i think he can manage it !

Best Regards
Fryland/Incomming

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Sep 15 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #6

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (lokugh)
Don't know about the ABC warrior, but you could easily a miniature Rifleman Battlemech from Battletech...

No, you can't because you lack the firmpoints or hardpoints for the weapon mounts.

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 15 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Ok, here are some ideas:

Chassis: Large Anthroform
Body: 3 (900)
Strength: 9 x 2 arms
Handling: 4
CF: 1
Pilot Rating: 1
Sensor Rating: 1
Powerplant: Electric Fuel Cell (375)
Speed: 10
Sig: 5
Load: 100kg

Mods:

Pilot Level 5 (5,000/ :nuyen: 2.5 million)
Increased Load: +400 (40)
Armor: 6 (300/ :nuyen: 7500) +1 handle, 270 load
Hardpoint on one arm
Firmpoint on other arm (3 points of weapon mounts max)
Improved handling: -2 handle (50)

I'll let you figure out stats and mods from there. This thing is going to cost mega bucks, though, as on top of its base design cost, it will be a military drone (probably at least a 4 cost multiplier).

+Quote Post
Fryland
post Sep 16 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #8

Target

cool, but i dont really care about the cost, im gonna "build" it myself, ofcurse some things ill have to buy, but most of the robot my char. Incomming is gonna build in his hangar !

Thx.

Fryland

Keep the ideas comming :wobble:

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Sep 16 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #9

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

You DO have a facility, right? And all the proper skills (electronics, computers, robotics, others, as well as their matching B/R skills)? And the time? There is a reason it says that these rules arnt for letting players create their own stuff, its for GMs wanting to add more to the game.

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 16 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fryland)
cool, but i dont really care about the cost, im gonna "build" it myself, ofcurse some things ill have to buy, but most of the robot my char. Incomming is gonna build in his hangar !

Thx.

Fryland

Keep the ideas comming :wobble:

Er, I believe the rules state you can't build this without a factory. So, you'd probably need to design it and get it built by someone else, unless your GM allows it.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Sep 16 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

Fryland may you roast in hell for mentioning that evil abomination.

As a dedicated reader of 2000AD I waited by anticipation since 1984 for the film to be produced and what did we get Sly sodding Stalone taking his helmet off 5 minutes in. Not to mention that ABC warriors were not in the same reality/timeline. Any judge sent to the penal collonies had massive facial implants. The Angel gang were dead on an alien planet in the timeline shown. Rico was an IDENTICAL clone, ah the pain, the pain........

Somebody stop me ranting, help, help, I'm meeeeeltinnng

+Quote Post
Espiritu
post Sep 16 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,604

Botch, what book?

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 16 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Espiritu)
Botch, what book?

2000AD is the British comic from whence Judge Dredd comes. The movie was rather loosely based on the comic.

+Quote Post
Dogsoup
post Sep 17 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 806

QUOTE (Botch)
Not to mention that ABC warriors were not in the same reality/timeline.

Who cares when they were set in the same universe as the other great 2000D comic :spin::
Nemesis the Warlock!
Credo!

Actually, when coming to think of it, Nemesis were their Johnson...

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Sep 17 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

QUOTE (Botch)
Fryland may you roast in hell for mentioning that evil abomination.

As a dedicated reader of 2000AD I waited by anticipation since 1984 for the film to be produced and what did we get Sly sodding Stalone taking his helmet off 5 minutes in. Not to mention that ABC warriors were not in the same reality/timeline. Any judge sent to the penal collonies had massive facial implants. The Angel gang were dead on an alien planet in the timeline shown. Rico was an IDENTICAL clone, ah the pain, the pain........

Somebody stop me ranting, help, help, I'm meeeeeltinnng

*salutes*

although, it was my understanding that the ABC warriors - specifically the Hammerstein model, were from an earlier war where the robots had turned on the humans. It was part of the war which irradiated the surface, wasn't it?

Anyway, it IS possible to build a robot-type thing, but you have to be willing to flange and houserule till the cows come home. In other words, I think it is in fact impossible to build anything half decent within the rules. The thing is, the anthroform field is still quite new in SR3. Even Deus builds crappy ones.

However, I have seen a picture - I forget which book its in, but I thought it was Rigger 3, a picture of a bunch of what I presume is a swarm of mitsuhama bots by the logo, round the corner from a couple of runners. Its a top down view so its a bit confusing, but it says a lot that they have to send in that many to deal with intruders. Even mitsuhama would send in about half that number of human guards in a standard squad. Of course, there's nothing to say that the runners would be encountering a standard squad either, so that's a bit academic.

I would simply speak to your GM about the possibility of his examining the walker and anthroform chassis and powerplant tables and seeing if he can extrapolate what a 'large' anthroform would come out like, and then go from there. If I was your GM, I'd be requiring a lengthy research project (by lengthy I'd mean years working on your own, even with a multitude of good skills), followed by at least ownership of a microtronics, robotics and vehicle facility, as well as perhaps a cyber facility depending on the mods you wanted to put in (the arms can take cyber mods, remember)... in other words, you could do it, but you really would have to dedicate your entire character to getting enough money to finance it and also enough to retire for a couple of years or more while you accomplish it, while ensuring that in obtaining the money you didn't aggravate anyone enough for them to gatecrash your facility while you were working!

Sorry, but it really would be that hard.

If you could assemble a team of roboticists together, and get the money to pay them as well as everything else, you might be able to do it quicker, but that's more money, and more risk.

Then you'd have to keep it from the corps. Unless your GM is kind enough to have some corps start producing models based on his chassis design which you could then customise.

As a GM, I've done a few designs of various sizes just to see what sort of thing turned out. Some really amazing designs came out of it, but I was messing around with secondary power sources for powered jumps and battletac systems for squad based stuff that i'm never ever going to use for anything ever unless the players really, really upset MCT somewhere like Tokyo. If you discount really far out stuff like that or oversized models realistically you can still only put a point of hardened armour (to get the bonus damage reductions) and a few points of ballistic armour, they dont have much body rating, maybe more if you can somehow dikote it... Its funky, but its not very good. And no way would a player would have the resources ever to produce any of the really heavy gear stuff because that's just involved breaking the rules so horribly... I should know.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Sep 17 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #16

Man In The Machine

Well think about it. With a hardpoint and a firmpoint, you can have a light launch control system (rockets galore) and an HV LMG. That will just about take anything that needs to go away, well, away. Add a bunch of armor, and a truck load of electronics (Adaption Pool stuff mostly) and you have a 2 legged-2 armed light mech.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 17 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (spotlite)
However, I have seen a picture - I forget which book its in, but I thought it was Rigger 3, a picture of a bunch of what I presume is a swarm of mitsuhama bots by the logo, round the corner from a couple of runners. Its a top down view so its a bit confusing, but it says a lot that they have to send in that many to deal with intruders. Even mitsuhama would send in about half that number of human guards in a standard squad. Of course, there's nothing to say that the runners would be encountering a standard squad either, so that's a bit academic.

It is Rigger 3, but we took completely different things from that picture. What I saw was that the runners were completely and utterly fragged, not that the entire botsquad was needed for them.

~J

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Sep 17 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #18

Man In The Machine

Its the power of drones... 3 riggers with good RCDs can control 20+ drones... evil evil evil...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 17 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Since there's no upper cap on RCD rating, a single rigger can control any number of drones. However, multiple riggers are scarier because they can be jumped into more than one drone (total, not each).

~J

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 17 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,641

Eh, if I were a drone rigger, and part of a drone rigger defense team fighting intruders (shadowrunners) I wouldn't jump into drone too often. At least not until I'd gotten a measure of their firepower. A rigger who's compromised or incapciatated by the dump shock of having the drone he'd jumped into go boom reduces the number of drones which are being controled. Sometimes, the enhanced abilites of the rigger's personal involvement are worth it, but it's a descision that requires calculation.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Sep 17 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (spotlite @ Sep 17 2004, 12:44 PM)

It is Rigger 3, but we took completely different things from that picture. What I saw was that the runners were completely and utterly fragged, not that the entire botsquad was needed for them.

~J

That's what I meant by 'there's nothing to say that the runners would be encountering a standard squad either'. You can indeed interpret that picture in many ways, its a very sparse picture. Looking at the rules it does seem to indicate that the bots would be fairly easy to kill. But if you put twenty of them in the field and equip them with an smg in each hand, they're still going to murder the vast majority of shadowrunner teams! I was just trying to illustrate that 'a' robot anthroform is, by the rules, going to be a bit pants.

+Quote Post
Fryland
post Sep 17 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #22

Target

Well you gave me some great ideas, fortunally my GM is building his campaign on that it should be fun for the players, so we tend to bend some of the rules a bit, and leave some rules out completely, we build many rules on realism, f.eks. if you crash your 18wheeler into a sedan at 60mph, according to the rules there is a proberbillity that nothing will happen, or allmost nothing, but think about it in real life what would happen when 44tons of steel meets 1,5tons at 60mph.

But bending the rules a bit give me the oppertunity to build my own ABC-Warrior (if you havent read the comic, its a great movie, and its the best role for Sly yet, I think), my robot will be modified to have one Vindicator mounted on the right arm and a normal left arm, it will the get some armor and some design details my GM decides.

Thx for the help.

Fryland

Ps. Autocannons are great at popping heads :-)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 17 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Given that the runners are actively involved in a firefight that's in a completely different direction, and have no idea that the bots are there, I'd say a ten-year-old kid with a SMG ought to be able to take them down if he has the general "point and press trigger" idea down.

Regarding jumping in, it depends on your VCR rating. For a VCR-1, jumping in is probably rare. VCR-2 it's more or less even, but a VCR-3-wielder should be jumped in whenever possible. There's just no reason not to be.

~J

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 17 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,641

There is a good reason not to jump a VCR 3 rigger in all the time. He could have his drone killed, and then suffer dumpshock. It begs the question, "Is it worth commiting myself?"

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 17 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

With over 10 control pool dice, it's not a credible threat unless he or she is at risk of losing all drones anyway, in which case they're still better off jumped in. I don't think you fully appreciate how many orders of magnitude harder it is to waste a drone being rigged than a drone by itself.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.