IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bug Campaign with new players, I didn't want to hijack.
Sijal
post Sep 15 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,640

I'm running my (NEW) Sr group through the bug scenario's

I haven't figured out which to run them trough yet though. Any thoughts?

Queen Euphoria, Missing Blood, or Double Exposure?

Each one of these kinda kills it for running any of the others, but I need a precursor to me running them as companions of Kyle Teller in Burning Bright for Chicago. (I know he was alone in the book, but it's a GREAT scenario and I want to stash them in chicago for a year to get them toughened up.)

How did your players react to each of the scenarios?

Which do YOU think is the scariest?

I'm playing with two women who HATE bugs.. if that helps any.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 15 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Slightly off topic, but I just want to say, if you're running a campaign featuring insect spirits, don't neglect mundane bugs. After a tough run-in with some flesh forms, a simple cockroach problem at home becomes horrific. A fly on someone's arm is terrifying. And that cicada noise is a siren of doom. Especially if they're bug-hating women to begin with.
Keep the bug theme, even when they're not going up against insect spirits. I'm reminded of the Temple of Doom.
My .02 :nuyen: of evil.

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 15 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,621

If you have Missing Blood (aka The Universal Brotherhood "sourcebook") I'd recommend it. But that may be because it is the only one of the three I have run before.

BTW, http://www.universalbrotherhood.org/ . Just one more thing Shadowrun has ruined for me :)

+Quote Post
Pepside
post Sep 16 2004, 01:05 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,659

I recommend Queen E. for the beginning of an campaign you sketched out. (Its tough on beginners imo, so you have to tone down the OpFor stats a bit)
It introduces bugs but leaves out the UB.

I always thought idea of bugs is scary, but infiltrating, secret society, sect bugs is even scarier and the real kicker to the whole bug plot.

If you want to run them along Teller its makes even more sense as you can build up the expectations of your players from "oh, its another looney shaman and a bug hive" to "their everywhere, they could be everyone".

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Sep 16 2004, 03:17 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Missing Blood?

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Sep 16 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #6

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

Missing Blood is the adventure packaged in the Universal Brotherhood book.

I would run them in the order Queen Euphoria, Missing Blood, Double Exposure. Each adventure in this order presents something new.

You should also run other adventures of some sort between them, so they don't know its another Bug Hunt.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Sep 16 2004, 03:21 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Ah, that's one I have never gotten my mitts on. Thanks

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Sep 16 2004, 03:36 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

yeah, I plan on running a series of games before running into Bug City.

Personally, I'd run one or two normal games, then Queen Euphoria. A normal run or two, then Universal Brotherhood. A few normal runs, to let them settle, then Double Exposure.

Finally, they get involved with the events of Bug City. Keep in mind that, during "Burning Bright," there was a group of runners involved with the Cermak part of the story. Just make your players part of that.

Then, you've got a nice, long stretch of survival stories punctuated by the occasional hired run from outside.

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Sep 16 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

Insect Spirits, one of the coolest threats in the SR universe....

I agree with the other posters: Euphoria, then later Missing Blood (that you can make more interesting by reading the novel 2XS which has a rather parallel plot) then later Double Exposure.

I recommend keeping a very tight lid ont he existence of the Bugs. When my players first encoutered the bugs in Euphoria, they thought they knew all there was to know about spirits...big shock.
Things went on for several months before they went on "Missing Blood". second shock. Especiallt because I had intorduced the Universal Brotherhood has a discreet background element in the campaign. At the end of Missing Blood, the team decker got his mitts on the UB file compiled by the journalists (basically I gave them the sourcebook)..they tried to pass the info and several contacts died...then they became very paranoid about the whole thing, feeling utterly powerless...years went on until the "Double Exposure" affair. because they had try to warn the gouvernment about the threat, it gave perfect reason fior the introduction. At the end the Ub falls and the players felt they had finally managed to get rid of the threat...
a few years later, the Chicago crisis came as a nasty shock...

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Sep 16 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

in a way you are lucky: you have all the adventures and plenty of time to set the stage and introduce the elements...
I bought "Bug City " when it came out and waited for 3 years before using it...
I introduced the Chicago crisis as a background element on TriD and my players bought the epidemic story fed in the media...a few runs went on and finally they were paid to go into the CZ to reach the Ares compound in order to establish a satellite uplink connecting the Ares host to the Ares PLTG. As a side bonus, I used it as the perfect way to introduce the latest Ares weapons: Ares Alpha, HV weapons and the Ares Firelance...the run was grueling, and they were completely taken aback when they discovered that what they thought was going to be a run in a contagious environment was in fact a run into the depth of the worst insect hive in the world...
too cool

+Quote Post
Sijal
post Sep 16 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Target

Great Ideas guys, thanks alot.

As a side note (for any adventures that you might want in bug city)

I plan on having them there for a bit. But I also want them out for a later date so that they can be hired to go BACK in.

This is what I had for an old group... AFTER they got out, they were hired over the vid by a Johnson which they could not make out. They were hired to go in, and plant a chip into a renraku mainframe, then activate it from inside the host. (Decker area) They got this job because of their expertise in Bug City.

The building it's self was guarded by a small loyal contingent of renraku guards, and of course, bugs. But the big thing that got them was when the decker slotted the chip, then went in to activate it.

Imidiately he got a picture of the Johnson, then the Host system turned black with a piercing red light (Ala HAL 2000). Feedback from something was slowly burning the decker so he dumped out, and just before he did, he got something etched into his mind..the word Duce.

Later on they find out that the AI program had been setting things in motion for a very long time, and that it was going to need resources and other things from outside it's current environment. Some of the data that it needed was in this mainframe. The cred that comes through is good, and the AI kept it's word. (At this point it wasn't totally melevolent)

(If I got time I'll write up the adventure into word, it's nothing but hand written notes and stuff right now) The players loved it, especially the decker. This was an adventure that hinged on him.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Sep 16 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #12

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Bugs...... I hate bugs.... unless Im GMing, then they are the shiznit. Its the idea of rampently combining cyber, magic, sprits, and flesh in one nice neat nasty as hell package.
To whom mentioned they hadent gotten ther MitS (pun, Im sorry) on the UB book, dont feel bad, its on SRs most wanted list. Expect copys to run for a lot of money. And expect to trade souls for them, firstborn at least.

+Quote Post
GenoSicK
post Sep 16 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,669

Hi. Newb Kid on the Block. :D

I've been reading dumpshock for a while, and a question came to my mind.
The Bug Metaplot is probably the greatest, immediate and horryfying threat to humanity in the SR world. (and my favorite also :love: )

And, since the Strain 3 thing, it seems to have vanished. Where did it goes ?
I know there are still isolate hives, and that Ares is testing the Dog/Insect fun stuff with Hard Cops...
But... HEY ! There more to do with a material that fantastic !
Is there something I missed or can I go back to my corner and wheep ?

PS : My apologies if my english isn't great... :twirl:

+Quote Post
Sijal
post Sep 16 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #14

Target

Remember that the sourcebooks are there for YOU to devlope YOUR campaign. If you dont want bug city to go away, It's not.. maybey the Strain III never was developed. Maybe the bug problem in chicago..(or wherever you decide to put bug city) was too big to be dealt with, so that entire area will forever be like that.

The biggest thing to remember is that it's YOUR campaign. you dont have to go with what the books say, thats Fanpro's story line. Create your own.

That will also keep your players in line.. they cant read the books and say.. "HEY, What do you mean Big D lost the election? It says right here....."

+Quote Post
GenoSicK
post Sep 16 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,669

Yeah, I'm aware of that, and doing it actively in my storyline (for example, Bug City take place in N.Y. in the year 54, etc..), but I think it's a pity to just abandon a plot like that and continue like it never happened... :please:
It seems that the insects just disappear (or close) from the surface of Earth.
The biggest hive in North Americe has been destroy, yes. And the world know now about them, yes.
But What happened in the rest of the world ? In South America, where they come from ?
They could have developped some good materials with that.

But it's only IMO.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Sep 16 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

The scary thing IMO, about the bugs is that your never find them until they are already ingrained into the area. Ever find just one roach in your house? No, there are always more in the walls where you can't get to them.

Bug spirits should be the same. Say your runners find out about a shaman out there summoning spirits and kidnapping sick kids from a local clinic. Only one or two kids have been snatched, but as they dive into the sewers to geek the guy and burn out the small hive, they find the hive is bigger then expected, or that most of the kidnappings have been keep secret.

Now they have to decide if they run away, leaving the hive to move and continue on in another secret place, or commit themselves to the job fully, and possibly die for the greater good.

Think of Ripley running around the ducts of her ship in the dark. Except instead of the one alien they know about, there are dozens running around.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Sep 16 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

Someone asked about what the bugs are up to at the GenCon seminar this year. The gist of the response was -- "We've done the bugs. We won't be doing anything more with them any time soon." Basically, I think the higher ups are a bit burnt out on bugs, and wanted to do otehr stuff.

Given the amount of resources now available on 'em, that seems pretty reasonable to me. Of course, the fact that many of those resources are OOP, does make it a touch more challenging.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Sep 16 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

As long as they didn't leave bugs to add in more ED stuff, that's cool.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of mini-campaign on sports, either some upcoming Olympic games, or just related to sports in general. That area needs some new love.

+Quote Post
Black Isis
post Sep 16 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,151

What's the plot of Double Exposure, anyone? I've never read through that one. Does it have something to do with that compound in Colorado or whatever that Ravenheart mentions to Teller in Burning Bright?

The bugs are great -- and keep in mind that it's repeated over and over again that Ares may not have exactly done the job so great in Chicago, and that the CZ is still a real big mess. I'm pretty sure in the more recent sourcebooks, including SoNA, it's stated that the CZ is a giant Z-zone in the heart of Chicago, and not a lot has changed since before Operation Extermination (other than there's less bugs, and the ones that are still there are keepinga much lower profile). Nothing keeping you from using that....

+Quote Post
Sijal
post Sep 16 2004, 06:14 PM
Post #20

Target

WARNING, SPOILER!!!

Double Exposure blackmails the characters into infiltrating a UB renewal project, on the surface everything is okay, but as the characters dig deeper, more things come crawling out of the wood work...litterally, It ends with a run into the middle of a hive of ants, and the subsequent of the runners getting the heck outa there before they die. The adventure actually takes place in Seattle, but could be reworked. It's a very good adventure.

+Quote Post
Black Isis
post Sep 16 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,151

Ah, okay. So does that "Project Hope" thing (I think that's what it was called) that Ravenheart or the FBI guy was telling Teller about show up in anything?

+Quote Post
Sijal
post Sep 16 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #22

Target

It is Project Hope.

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 16 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lindt)
Bugs...... I hate bugs.... unless Im GMing, then they are the shiznit. Its the idea of rampently combining cyber, magic, sprits, and flesh in one nice neat nasty as hell package.
To whom mentioned they hadent gotten ther MitS (pun, Im sorry) on the UB book, dont feel bad, its on SRs most wanted list. Expect copys to run for a lot of money. And expect to trade souls for them, firstborn at least.

+Quote Post
Sijal
post Sep 16 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #24

Target

ARGH.. I was going to bid on that LOL I need a new copy as mine is THRASHED...

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 16 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sijal)
ARGH.. I was going to bid on that LOL I need a new copy as mine is THRASHED...

Sorry :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.