Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Nukes Fall, Shadowrun in a post-apocalypse setting
Cable
post Sep 16 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,670

Has anyone played shadowrun in a post-apocalypse setting. Better yet, has anyone run shadowrun in this setting. I'm going to GM in this setting soon and would like some comments on what the world would be like. Corparation, dragon, runner attitudes in the new world. Also, I'm going to be running it in a Rifts-like setting ( BUT NOT IN RIFTS! Mostly because the system is horrible.) So any suggestions on cool locations and NPC types would be appreciated...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Botch
post Sep 16 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

Harlequin's Back or there is the classic adjustment of Planet of the Apes

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 16 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Don't forget that there will not be pocket secretaries. There will be Pip-boys instead.

Also, the only megacorp worth talking about is Vault-tech.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Sep 16 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

Don't forget Fallout and Fallout 2. A the final run of the sage could be to find a G.E.C.K.

+Quote Post
Cable
post Sep 16 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Target

Harleys not bad. I wanted to mention that I figure dragons wouldn't view (meta)humans as play things anymore because the're a real life threatening creature. So the ones left would be trying to erase or subjugate humanity.There couldn't be many left. I don't want this to turn into a dragon hunting game. (And what PC could live through a dragon hunting game anyways?)

+Quote Post
Cable
post Sep 16 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #6

Target

Fallout! Thats good material.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 16 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Cable)
Harleys not bad. I wanted to mention that I figure dragons wouldn't view (meta)humans as play things anymore because the're a real life threatening creature.

I seriously doubt it.

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 16 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

As for dragon populations: most dragons laired in locations at least as safe as a Vault-tech Luxury City Vault with fortifications. So don't expect many to die from the nukes.

You could have a few dragons who chose to let some population of humans hide in their (secondary) lairs in exchange for their servitude and that of 2/3 (rounded up) of their descendants. The other 1/3 (rounded down) is encouraged to either willingly enter servitude or search for other sparks of civilization.

Toss in ghouls, mutants, and the occasional godzilla footprint and you have yourself a setting.

+Quote Post
Tribunal
post Sep 16 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,356

I've thrown around a post-apocalyptic Shadowrun game in the past, but never made much headway in putting a game together. An environment with limited resources has a certain appeal. Players would start to think things over before they unload that last clip of ammo that they had to trade everything they owned for. You would also have to have a Bartertown that is run by dwarf named Masterblaster, that's a given.

As far as settings, it would probably depend on how long after the bombs drop and what cities did not get a direct hit. Early on, I could see Seattle or most cities ruled over by warlords who are continually at war. Runners could work for one of these warlords or just show up in town and get first hand knowledge of how visitors are treated or welcomed if they have the right skills. I could see powerful mages or shamans with their own domains (Think the war wizards from Thundarr the Barbarian for this one).

I think the key factor in a game like this is the players will always be in need of something that loads of nuyen will no longer buy them. Whether it's weapons, ammo, or that much need replacement part for that 10 year old cyber limb that tends to freeze up a lot in combat, bartering will become a primary skill and your players will always be thinking of what they can trade that latest acquired item for.

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 16 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,641

That's a setting with some great story potential. There's a few obvious changes because of it of course. Cybered characters are at a *dis*advantage, because in shadowrun, cyberware needs regular miantiinance. which would be increasingly more difficult to find. For a real laugh, let someone start with as much beta and detla grade ware as they like. Only beta or detla ware grade clinics and hospitals can service their ware, how many do you expect to see operating?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Sep 16 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

Reading through the comments about dragons in a post-apocalyptic world, I'm reminded of the movie Reign of Fire. Ignoring anyone's opinion of the film, that might make a very interesting alternate Shadowrun setting.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Sep 16 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

QUOTE (Cable)
Harleys not bad. I wanted to mention that I figure dragons wouldn't view (meta)humans as play things anymore because the're a real life threatening creature.

Unless a big bunch nutters decided to end the "Never deal with a dragon" with nukes. The end of that war would be devastation. Unlikely, I know

+Quote Post
Omer Joel
post Sep 16 2004, 06:23 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 265

I remember that a long ago (that is, atleast one or two forum versions ago :)) someone posted his "Rude Awakening" alternate setting, that had the Lone Eagle incident as its point of divergance from the Cannon timeline. In this version, it did hit, and caused an all-out nuclear war between the USA and Russia. If you could track down this post, it might provide you with interesting information on this subject.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 16 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

This has been bantered back and forth with people doing a number of the quickie conversions.

Super-mutants = trolls
Stimpacks = suped up nano-healers, one shot use

And so on.

I don't know of anyone who's actually run it, but unless the characters are based in a town, expect combat to be kept to a minimum. Biotech doesn't help when you're in the middle of nowhere and let's face it, random mutant scorpion encounters just suck.

Geckos are worse.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 16 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #15

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

You can get some good inspiration without looking far. Bug City. The CZ has a lot of those elements. Restricted resources, warlords, radioactive areas, etc. The Chicago CZ is a mini apocalypse. With bugs.

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Sep 16 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #16

Jesus Freak

Member No.: 6,274

Don't forget about all the Manawarps that would be cauesd from the nukes.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 16 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #17

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Sargasso)
That's a setting with some great story potential. There's a few obvious changes because of it of course. Cybered characters are at a *dis*advantage, because in shadowrun, cyberware needs regular miantiinance. which would be increasingly more difficult to find. For a real laugh, let someone start with as much beta and detla grade ware as they like. Only beta or detla ware grade clinics and hospitals can service their ware, how many do you expect to see operating?

Unfortunately, that's true. You'll either need to restrict magic characters, ignore maintenace rules, or ease up on the costs of cyber (if it costs half as much essence and a quarter as much money, it might just be worth it, even though in four months it'll start going crazy and in a year it'll be worthless).

+Quote Post
Casper
post Sep 16 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,002

But you guys fail to see that nukes do not work in the shadowrun universe. they just simply don't. Everytime a nuke has come up in the fiction of background it has always failed to detonate. So there for Shadowrun will never be a post apocolyps world like Rifts or mad max

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 16 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

As the background count clearly demonstrates, the Cermak Blast went off.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Sep 16 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #20

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Casper)
But you guys fail to see that nukes do not work in the shadowrun universe. they just simply don't. Everytime a nuke has come up in the fiction of background it has always failed to detonate. So there for Shadowrun will never be a post apocolyps world like Rifts or mad max

:proof:

Seriously.

It can happen, but with the wealth of free information, people will be sent to disarm it in no time.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 16 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #21

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

If you really want an idea of what Shadowrun could be like post-apocalypse, allow me to make a suggestion.

Look at the game Tribe 8, by Dream Pod 9, who did Jovian Chronicles, Heavy Gear, Gear Kreig, and the upcoming Core Command.

Tribe 8 at DP9.com

The long and the short of it is that in the future, mankind's world gets shattered by a bunch of extradimensional beings called Z'bri, which are basically the Horrors. They come through, and the dimensional gates which let them through seal them off from their home, driving them totally nuts. So they set about enslaving humanity and doing horrible things to them and feeding off of pain and misery, ala Earthdawn. Humans set off a buncha nukes (which they don't explicity SAY, but becomes apparent in expansion books when you find radioactive, glass-bottomed lakes surrounded by remnants of cities) and the world is plunged into the dark ages. Cue forward a couple hundred years, some humans break free of the Z'bri, and decide taking the world back would be a good idea.

It's just about the best RPG nobody's ever played.

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Sep 16 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #22

Jesus Freak

Cermak worked, but it was weird IIRC. Didn't it only blast a small area, when it should have been a full force nuke?

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Sep 16 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #23

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
Cermak worked, but it was weird IIRC. Didn't it only blast a small area, when it should have been a full force nuke?

Oh, it was full force. Just kind of... Oddly-shaped and oddly irradiated.

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Sep 16 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #24

Jesus Freak

I knew there was something funky about it, just couldn't remember what it was. How 'odd' was it?

+Quote Post
cykotek
post Sep 16 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,621

When Cermak went off inside a hive at the peak of a giant investiture ceremony while enclosed in wards and barriers of incredible power, its 5-kiloton warhead was restricted to a blast zone in the hundreds of meters (an unrestricted blast would have widespread damage out to over 1 kilometer). The resulting radiation fallout ends somewhere near the 1 kilometer radius range, while the actual mana warp (background count 6+) doesn't start until closer to 500 meters from ground zero.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.