IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> uses for 2 datajacks?, who needs 'em and why?
GlassJaw
post Sep 18 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,664

The only reason I can think of is one for data and one for a smartgun perhaps but I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. Anyone want to list some examples of why you want more than 1 datajack?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 18 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Jacking into other devices while jacked into the Matrix, jacked into a vehicle and an RCD at the same time, using a skillsoft in one and jacked into a vehicle or Matirx, multiple external devices (tacking device and computer/phone).

+Quote Post
GlassJaw
post Sep 18 2004, 05:10 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,664

Thanks for the link!

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 18 2004, 07:53 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,587

Man and machine. P 46 I/O speed (optional rule). Lists the transfer speed at 1000MP/combat turn.

SR3 page 301, sim rig lists the wet record of a full x sim sense recording at 3MP/second. I believe this is what rigging and decking would use. An artificially generated uncompressed full X sim sense stream.

1000mp/3 seconds per combat turn 3/ mp per sim sense stream and allowing a pessimistic amount of loss for keeping track of them. a single data jack can simultaneously run 100 wet record full X sim sense channels.

It should be trivial to create an external router that would allow you to connect a large number of devices to a single data jack.

The only reason I would install a second data jack is that I want one hidden. I would probably use ether induction or fingertip compartment (although the loss of sensation would not be desirable.) placing a full induction data jack in the palm of your hand would be useful as it would serve to connect you to your smart link weapon as well as being a hidden data jack witch somebody with a cyber scanner may well mistake for a induction pad useless without a gun.

Edward

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Sep 18 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

I once used it so that I could jack into my bike with one jack and access the map held on a modified pocket-secretary with the other.

The only other time I used both at once was trying to use a sniper rifle while jacked into the matrix. Surrogate smart-link and access to the security cameras. Luckily, I never found out if the walls were thin enough to pull that stunt.

(the pocket secretary comes from the sudden realisation that I might not want to lug around my entire deck when all I need is a floor-plan and my Radiohead MP3s)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 18 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i recall the only time there have been talk of 2 jacks in canon is when there is a rigger present. reason was that a rigger would have his jack placed further back to access the motor function areas of the brain. a decker or most other people would want to have it more towards the front to access higher brain functions. personaly i think this is a bit silly as with a bit of fiberoptics you could place the jack itself anywhere on the body and have the chip itself interface anywhere in the brain. didnt cp2020 allow for this?

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Sep 18 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

Anybody who wants to be jacked in at the same time they're using a smartlink will need a second one.

Also, for those who rule that you can have two guns, each with smartlink (let's not get into that debate here), you'd need two jacks.

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 18 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,641

If your datajacks are all connected to one another, and you jack into multiple devices, you've just created a local area network inside your skull. My routing multiple data jacks together you can connect a car's sensor suite, to a radio and broadcast your car's sensor input without having to connect the two devices to eachother. Basicaly, with multiple data jacks, you become a walking network, capable of supporting the interface of any peices of electronics.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 18 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Thistledown)
Also, for those who rule that you can have two guns, each with smartlink (let's not get into that debate here), you'd need two jacks.

There is no one who follows canon who rules otherwise. It's just whether you can use them both at the same time and get the bonus that is often houseruled.

And regarding the external router, you'd think so but it's not true. Also, not having the external router means that there's a layer of shielding (your brain) between your different stuff.

~J

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Sep 18 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

uh, you have 2 datajacks because your room mate is too cheap to buy a firewall...
:P

+Quote Post
Plastic Rat
post Sep 18 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 2,665

ROTFL @ Bitrunner.

Reasons in order of importance.

1) Damnit, because it's cool! There's no way of saying "DECKER" better than an array of platinum datajacks down your skull. It's better than body piercing!

2) Different locations. My character has 2 in his temples and one in his wrist to plug his smartlink into. I don't like the induction pads in my palms, it's...icky.. and I don't want a cable running all the way up to my skull.

Also, apparently the different locations are for different tasks. Temples "frankenstein" for deckers cause it's closer to frontal lobe functions. Back of the neck "puppethead" to be closer to reaction centers for Riggers. Wrist for practicallity and ease of concealment. I don't believe this is even logical, practical or even offers any benefits number wise, but ..."Damnit, it's cool."

3) If one gets a jackstopper, they might miss the other(s).

4) They're cheap, both in price and in essence.

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 18 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,621

Yep...a normal datajack and a hidden induction datajack somewhere else. If they stopper one up, they should usually miss the induction jack. Then you hide a converter (in the best place to hide things from a search) and you just snuck a datajack in :)

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Sep 18 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (lokugh)
Yep...a normal datajack and a hidden induction datajack somewhere else. If they stopper one up, they should usually miss the induction jack. Then you hide a converter (in the best place to hide things from a search) and you just snuck a datajack in :)

easily hidden with the handgun, 3 spare amagazines, hand grenade and cyanide pills in there ;)

anyone that gets that recieves 2 brownie points

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 18 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #14

panda!

one word, outch!

+Quote Post
Czar Eggbert
post Sep 18 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 975

QUOTE (lokugh)
Yep...a normal datajack and a hidden induction datajack somewhere else. If they stopper one up, they should usually miss the induction jack. Then you hide a converter (in the best place to hide things from a search) and you just snuck a datajack in 

easily hidden with the handgun, 3 spare amagazines, hand grenade and cyanide pills in there

anyone that gets that recieves 2 brownie points

You forgot the gold watch...

_the Eggman

+Quote Post
Nylan
post Sep 18 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 6,583

He'd be damned if some slant was going to put his greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright...
-Chris Walken

Ah the ass, the greatest place to hide things...I know that I would never search for things up there...I figure if something is that gross, the deserve to surprise me.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 18 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

To confirm hobgoblin’s statements about jack placement I just watched a documentary on what amounts to early precursors of cyber eyes. These are being installed in people today.

The brain interface was in the visual centres near the front of the brain but the jacks where on the back of the scull.

Edward

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 19 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Edward @ Sep 18 2004, 05:50 PM)
The brain interface was in the visual centres near the front of the brain but the jacks where on the back of the scull.

Edward

I don't follow. The visual cortexies are in the back of the brain. The optic nevres go back from your eyes, cross under the brain in the middle of your skull at the optic chiasmus and then go right on to the back of your brain. The wiring for modern early cybereyes (the technology rocks, a blind patient who had lost his vision as an adult gained low res black and white. He drove a car around a parkling lot to prove it) connects to the back of your brain.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 19 2004, 06:17 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Sorry. I must have misinterpreted the pictures of the surgery. It did look like there was a significant length of leads between the interface implant and the jack but it was difficult to tell details.

The lady that was used as an example in this documentary was having trouble interpreting the dots. I got the impression that driving a car even in a parking lot would be an unusually good result.

Edward

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 19 2004, 08:03 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

It was, the patient who drove the car was an ideal subject, because he'd had vision until fairly recently. A person who was born blind wouldn't have a visual cortex which would interpret the data as clearly. There's a lot of brain development which requires post natal input to occur. A classic experiment involved putting glasses on kittens that inverted their vision. When the glasses were removed after maturity, the cats were hideously disoriaented. A lot of neurology research was just awful

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 19 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #21

panda!

hmm, i wonder why they go straight for the visual cortex and not hook up to the allready existing nerve paths going back from the eyes. that is unless its exactly those paths that have been damaged...

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Sep 19 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

decking and using a knowsoft

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 19 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

I would assume you go toe the visual cortex because it is a larger surface aria. It would be harder to icolate small bundles of nerves on eth optic nerve.

Also if the nerv runs under the brain it would be very difficult to access.

Of cause I am just guessing.

Edward

+Quote Post
iPad
post Sep 19 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,671

Contolling a toaster and coffee machine at once?

Im surprised there isnt an adapter that lets you plug several devices into on I/O. I know there are multiports in MM. I think its one of those things which look cool in art but has little use in game.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Sep 19 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

if'n i be playin a scurvy dog with a datajack, i throw an exta in with it.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.