Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charachter Creation Cash
Stumpy Fjord
post Sep 19 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,678

A couple of questions about spending your resources at charachter creation.

1) Can you upgrade cyberware later in the game?
2) Is it worth it for a decker to buy a good deck at the start or just wait and see if one can be procured later?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Sep 19 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Yeah, you can upgrade later, that's Canon.

No, it's not worth it to buy a deck at the start. Spend the money elsewhere.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 19 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Depends on the way the GM runs the world. In a Matrix-heavy world, not having a deck to start out with could guarantee it'll be years before you get one worth owning at all.

~J

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 19 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

And without a good deck, you might not live long enough to upgrade.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 19 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Which would encourage pure deckers who were willing to hand out a large chunk of their starting resources to decking alone, and in turn would make the combat decker a less feasible choice. I wouldn't do it all the time, but for some games I'd have no problem doing that.

~J

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Sep 19 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

You mean you guys actually build deckers without a deck at *all* in the beginning? How does that work? What can a decker do without a deck?

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Sep 19 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,560

Fix my broken gameboy???

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 19 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Sit. Twiddle thumbs. Pray the GM takes pity and puts an NPC decker with some nice hardware that can get killed near where the players are.

Or be a combat decker, in which case you're a weaker gunbunny, but that's entirely different from a blanket building of a decker without a deck.

~J

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 19 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Stumpy Fjord)
1) Can you upgrade cyberware later in the game?

Yeah.

2) Is it worth it for a decker to buy a good deck at the start or just wait and see if one can be procured later?

That really depends on if your GM strictly enforces the starting availability rule for decks. If they do, then the best you can get is the Avatar IIRC which is a bit low powered from what I vaguely recall. On the other hand, how long is it going to take you to either save up for a deck or just happen to come across one during a run? And pretty much any serious run will would involve matrix work I'd think. I'd say yes, but talk to the GM and see if you can get a special dispensation to go for something a little better like a Kraftwerk.

+Quote Post
iPad
post Sep 19 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,671

You can put pleanty of killyness in a decker at the start. You probably loose out on a piece or two of good 'ware and thats about it.

If they do go for a lower end deck they just have to watch what colour system they try and hack....

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Sep 19 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

Alternatively, if the GM mentions Maria Mercurial, remember to look carefully... (my first run was M.Merc, we went straight in and out without looking around; I have been kicking myself ever since...)

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 19 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

I take it that there's some nice swag just lying about then? :)

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 19 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I was seting up a part decker for a game and a fellow player and GM told me not to get anything less than craftwork 8. this is what the sample characters have so I can only assume MPCP=/rating. In the end I wound up with the cheapest deck in the game because the character is not a decker. He uses it to do high speed matrix searches and subvert household systems.

Edward

+Quote Post
UpSyndrome
post Sep 20 2004, 04:03 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,506

I wanted to play a combat decker with a deck in his leg, but the 4X device cost combined with the DNI cost would make even a 120k stock deck cost 720k. So I focused more on fighting and tried to build my own cyberdeck during play (since most of cyberdeck cost is due to programs, which, given time, can be free). If we had played the group longer, it might have worked, but mostly all I did was punch people slightly less effectively than a straight up sam (though admittedly, most people I punched once or twice were out cold).

-Joe

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Sep 20 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #15

Decker on the Threshold

QUOTE (Edward)
I was seting up a part decker for a game and a fellow player and GM told me not to get anything less than craftwork 8. this is what the sample characters have so I can only assume MPCP=/rating. In the end I wound up with the cheapest deck in the game because the character is not a decker. He uses it to do high speed matrix searches and subvert household systems.

Edward

The problem with getting a Kraftwerk is that the Availability is 10 and it costs 400k before programs or any other upgrades. The Avatar or Hyperdeck (MPCP 6-7) are the best you can actually get under the rules for a beginning character, and should be fine IMO so long as you do a bit of after-market upgrading to the memory.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 20 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Availability 10 you say.

I don’t have my SR3 hear. Can you check the sample character record sheets and post what decks they use.

Edward

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Sep 20 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Sep 20 2004, 06:24 AM)
QUOTE (Edward @ Sep 19 2004, 06:16 PM)

Edward

The problem with getting a Kraftwerk is that the Availability is 10 and it costs 400k before programs or any other upgrades. The Avatar or Hyperdeck (MPCP 6-7) are the best you can actually get under the rules for a beginning character, and should be fine IMO so long as you do a bit of after-market upgrading to the memory.

Yeah, more reason NOT to start the game with a Deck. Go ahead and deck out your Avatar (the best you could start with) and then try a test run against a simple Green area. Even with masterful deception programs and stealth, I find it unlikely you'll be able to grab the smallest file before you're under attack. You just can't do squat with a beginning deck as a decker, and that's a GREEN, not an Orange or Red (or god-forbid a Black). Spend that money on cyber and be bad ass (a little at least).

What does a decker do until he gets a deck? B&E is always my suggestion, high computer and electronics of a default decker makes him keen for B&E, and since any decker is gonna love microscopic vision (for his own deck building), he gets major bonuses on being a B&E expert.

I truly recommend NEVER starting with a Cyberdeck.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Sep 20 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

Both deckers archetypes in the rulebook have rule-legal decks : a CMT Avatar and a Novatech Hyperdeck 6 (availability 6 and 4 respectively)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 20 2004, 12:18 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Go ahead and deck out your Avatar (the best you could start with) and then try a test run against a simple Green area. Even with masterful deception programs and stealth, I find it unlikely you'll be able to grab the smallest file before you're under attack. You just can't do squat with a beginning deck as a decker, and that's a GREEN, not an Orange or Red (or god-forbid a Black). Spend that money on cyber and be bad ass (a little at least).

Sample host: Orange-Average. 7-13/12/12/13/12. That means that a Rating 6 program will be getting the TNs down to 6s and 7s, and if you either run in masking mode or with some of your hacking pool allocated to DF increases, you'll be making more successes than the host. You won't be doing very much, as after a few operations you'll be needing to log off to let the tally reset, but you can get basic operations done. Now let's try your Green-Easy.

Green 6-8/10/10/9/8. Well within the realm of someone with a few Rating 5 or 6 programs, if they know what they're doing.

If your GM allows creation of accounts, well, you can eat the hosts for lunch.

~J

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Sep 20 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I always allow deckers to build custom decks, or at least modify the stock ones.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Sep 20 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #21

Decker on the Threshold

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Sample host: Orange-Average. 7-13/12/12/13/12. That means that a Rating 6 program will be getting the TNs down to 6s and 7s, and if you either run in masking mode or with some of your hacking pool allocated to DF increases, you'll be making more successes than the host. You won't be doing very much, as after a few operations you'll be needing to log off to let the tally reset, but you can get basic operations done.

Ah, I think I see the problem now. Those without Matrix are going to find even the easiest systems impossible, then. Without the rules for Masking Mode, your maximum DF at chargen is 7; with it it's 9. Only with both Masking Mode and the *variant* rule (meaning not allowed in "official" games) allowing Hacking Pool to be used for DF can you get your DF up to a usable 11-12. Anything less and you're going to be heading up against a flood of IC after only a bare few operations.

So I guess without all those variant rules you really *shouldn't* buy a deck at chargen.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 20 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Even without the rules in Matrix, you're looking at the same or lower TN and more dice. You won't be able to do a lot in a single intrusion, but non-tiered systems won't be that tough.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 20 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

As a GM I would not encourage players wishing to run a decker start without a deck - in fact I might just forbid it unless they can convince me they have good reason. However, I would also not charge the x4 for a built in deck when cranial decks are clearly not 4 times the cost. Instead I would simply charge the C2 prices.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.