Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going Postal, Regular Mail
FlakJacket
post Sep 21 2004, 02:10 AM
Post #1

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

With the matrix being so widespread and advanced in Shadowrun, do we know what's happened to the regular old fashioned mail service? Would people still use it, is it still in effect or would it have died off to leave only parcel companies and the like? IIRC, a couple of the books mentioned that newspapers had basically gone electronic with your having to print it out if you wanted hard copy. What do people think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 21 2004, 02:14 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It certainly exists. The providers are probably more focused on parcels and the like, but physical mail will without a doubt continue.

Though with the US/UCAS changeover it may no longer be mandated in the constitution.

~J

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Sep 21 2004, 02:14 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

If current trends are any indicator, I'd imagine that there'd be a number of delivery companies that would compete for physical deliveries. IE, UPS, FedEx, etc. In a game setting with such a weak government, I'd think that the postal service would've been sold off to a corp. Hell, NASA was sold. The USPS would probably have gone before that.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 21 2004, 02:15 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Depends on how much the UCAS constitution resembles the US constitution. As I said above, a governmental postal service is mandated in the US constitution.

~J

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 21 2004, 02:19 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,641

Not only that, but US aw lists interfereing with the mail as a felony, which can be tantamount to treason, since at the time, the Postal Sercive was how the government kept running. I imagine fierce laws on the subject might keep the good old UCAS postal service alive. Interfering with Hermes (a subsidiary of Ares) might land you a stiff fine, but interfering with the UCAs postal service might land you in prison.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Sep 21 2004, 02:31 AM
Post #6

Guests

According to the timeline (which in the instance I shall mention, was from SR1 or SR2 BBB), the USPS was sold off in the 90s to alleviate the massive deficit/national debt.

However, contracting out the USPS would still be considered "establishing post offices," since they are just hiring some corp to staff them. I mean, privatization isn't a novel idea.

As for using the USPS, um... Why? Use a AAA-owned shipping company and get the benefits of (say) Ares' extraterritorial status.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 21 2004, 02:43 AM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Only while on their property. Furthermore, no corp would want to ship via another corp's services if they could avoid it, same as why most corps of any significance don't contract their Matrix hosts and facilities out to other corps.

~J

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 21 2004, 03:15 AM
Post #8

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

This was more a question of if people would use the mail for regular letters. The matrix/e-mail and things like mobiles or pocket secretary's that can access it would make it seem pretty archaic. So excepting special things like packages or recorded delivery, would the average person use it any more. Question came up when I was considering investigations into people and the old trick of forwarded mail, and if it'd still be useable/relevant.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 21 2004, 03:18 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Given how trivial it is to ship letters if you're already shipping packages, I'd say the ability is still there. Some things (especially any physically stamped or authenticated document) would still travel by mail, and it makes a great poor man's security. Use will continue to decline, but it will still see use IMO.

~J

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Sep 21 2004, 04:09 AM
Post #10

Guests

There is something romantic about snail-mail postcards from abroad, and handwritten letters.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 21 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Sep 20 2004, 11:09 PM)
There is something romantic about snail-mail postcards from abroad, and handwritten letters.

I agree, you can even picture "enchanted" inks and pens sold in the same novelty shops as the postcards. Photovoltaic scenery with the person's image transplanted into them. A machine that "hand writes" the words dictated to it on the card, even signing your name better than you ever could. Souvenir simsense chips sold at that beautiful waterfall by the funny little man, remember that suit he was wearing? It was just adorable. Oh and the ride there was lovely on that air cushioned elephant.

+Quote Post
lokugh
post Sep 21 2004, 04:37 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,621

Although, it seems people in SR are becoming more and more functionally illiterate, so I suspect there would be a drastic decline. And, I doubt there are postal runs being made to places like Class Z zones.

Although, it does bring up the movie Demolition Man. Simon Phoenix's quote about the "damned busdrivers". Soemthing about "even the postmen listened" when he told them to stay out, but the buses kept running.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.