IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question On Web Policy, Pretty Stupid and Elementary...
Empyrean Seraph
post Sep 23 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,562

I think I know the answer to this, just wanted to check.

If I'm making PDFs (which I'll stick on my website), am I right in understanding that use of the corporate logos from shadowrunrpg.com IS NOT allowed? If it is, I'll put 'em in and make it spiffy. But I don't think it is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 23 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

As long as the logos are unchanged, and as long as the rest of the materials are noninfringing, I'm pretty sure that's under what WizKids grants you.

~J

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 23 2004, 03:40 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

If they sue you for giving them free advertising then they are a piss pore bunch of money-grubbing imbeciles.

That of cause is a distinct possibility.

Check there website find a contact us link and send them a request.

Edward

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 23 2004, 03:44 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Is that the Adam-signal I see in the sky?

~J

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Sep 23 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Is that the Adam-signal I see in the sky?

~J

ROFPMSL!

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Sep 23 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

3. Copyright - It is not permissible to post published copyrighted Shadowrun material, writing or artwork, in whole or in part, on your web pages, without the prior written consent of WizKids, LLC.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 23 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Edward)
If they sue you for giving them free advertising then they are a piss pore bunch of money-grubbing imbeciles.

As I understand, copyright law obligates a company to contest unauthorized use of its copyrighted material, or its loses the copyright, and then anyone can use the material for fun or profit.

If so, it'd be pretty stupid to not contest unauthorized use of copyrighted material.

And it'd be pretty rude to not ask permission when contact with FanPro is an e-mail away.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 23 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Except they deny any and all requests for such use.

Why bother saying:
WizKids, LLC has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. WizKids, LLC has granted permission to < fill in the name of your site > to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with < fill in the name of your site > in any official capacity whatsoever.

if you can't actually do it?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Sep 24 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I'm pretty sure that Dumpshock has a permission thingy from Whizkids...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 24 2004, 04:19 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

But that's the standard text they give to go on any fansite.

~J

+Quote Post
Adam
post Sep 24 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Basically, WizKids allows you to use stuff within fair use rights - reproducing covers for advertising/review purposes, the game logo, etc. They don't allow you to modify such things, and, obviously, reproducing large quantities of their artwork is frowned upon.

Please note that FanPro does not own or manage any Shadowrun-related trademarks or copyright.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Sep 24 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cray74)
As I understand, copyright law obligates a company to contest unauthorized use of its copyrighted material, or its loses the copyright, and then anyone can use the material for fun or profit.

You're confusing Copyrights with Trademarks. Check this link out for a clarification of the 10 most common Copyright myths:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Sep 24 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Except they deny any and all requests for such use.

Why bother saying:
WizKids, LLC has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. WizKids, LLC has granted permission to < fill in the name of your site > to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with < fill in the name of your site > in any official capacity whatsoever.

if you can't actually do it?

You've omitted the text that immediately preceeds that statement:

1) Legal Text - Please use the following text at the bottom of your home page and on any other web page that includes Shadowrun material, also if the creator of any artwork is positively known, please insert credit(s) to the artist(s):

WizKids isn't granting permission here; they're just clarifying what you are obligated to do for them if you've received permission to use their properties. This includes both the logo they permit non-commercial fansites to use, as well as any material that you've received written approval to use.

At least, that's my interpretation (IANAL).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.