Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When you think adept what pops into your head, what would an adept be like
Grifter
post Sep 26 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,530

I was just wondering what everyone thought of when they think Adept. I always though of adept as kind of like neo from the matrix, minus the flying part.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Sep 26 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

Same here, but I also thought of adepts as Jet Li and Jackie Chan-type characters, with outlandish stunts and stuff.

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Sep 26 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,295

I think of something between all of the free people, and the agents, from the matrix (minus Neo once he becomes "the one").

Or for those of you who are anime fans Vash from Trigun.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Sep 26 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #4

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

I agree, Vash = way of the gun adept.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 26 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Probably because I always play off-the-wall adepts, but I don't have an instant mental image of an adept.

Except, perhaps, highly specialized.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Grifter
post Sep 26 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 5,530

yeah that's always the image i get, someone jumping around doing crazy stunts and fighting like 8 people at once and not getting anything worse than a bloody nose like neo, jackie chan or jet li

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Sep 26 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

Ninjas.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 26 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Two ninjas.

Yu Ominae or Jean Jaquemonde from Spriggan for general combat, Oboro from Spriggan for Unarmed/Killing Hands combo with Delay Damage occasionally tossed in, or Koichi Moroha for Killing Hands/Distance Strike combo.

~J

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 26 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Physads look like Tadashi Yamashita. Each and every one.

+Quote Post
Axe
post Sep 26 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,590

Yeah, the characters from Spriggan are a good example. I don't really have a clear image that comes to mind though, because adepts can be quite different..

I don't think of Neo, but that's just because the character has no personality.

+Quote Post
Young Freud
post Sep 26 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,423

QUOTE (Axe)
Yeah, the characters from Spriggan are a good example. I don't really have a clear image that comes to mind though, because adepts can be quite different..

Well, maybe Yu, but Jean's abilities can be explained by the fact that he's a werewolf (at least going by manga)

Personally, I think Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger of the Dark Tower series when I think of a Way of the Gun adept. A guy who can fire bursts from twin single-action revolvers with unerring accuracy is what I'd think of as a gun adept. That or Duke Togo, a guy who can hit targets protected by bulletproof glass by shooting through an abandoned floor of an adjacent office building or hitting the heatseeker off a Sidewinder zooming toward him from the open hatch of a hovering Harrier.

For martial artist adepts, only one: Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. The perfect example of Killing Hands combined with Delay Damage.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 27 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Used to be that the general stereotype of adept was the martial artist/Bruce Lee one- things like the archetype from the main book being armed with pointy sticks and a couple billiard balls with not a gun in sight didn't help.

Adepts are generally my favourite type of characters. I don't really have an exact mental image, more like a general one- that of their being super charged humans as it were. I tend to go for adept street sam types so that generally comes to the fore, although those bloody martial artists are hard to shake. :) Variety is what really come to mind most, examples like past PC's that had a blues singer with Improved Ability: Guitar as a side-skill/interest or the ex-merc with Improved Ability: Mortars. :D

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 27 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Young Freud)
Well, maybe Yu, but Jean's abilities can be explained by the fact that he's a werewolf (at least going by manga)

That's true, but if you drop the werewolfness his abilities are very adept-like.

~J

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Sep 27 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #14

Guests

Generalists. A little reaction, a little IA:Skill, a little Imp. Attr., a little sensory enhancement. And, of course, Pain Resistance.

Initiates get enhanced centering (plus centering and masking metamagic) and improvements to the above.

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Sep 27 2004, 01:59 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,682

Adepts can be anything... that's one reason I'm not happy with the canon powers list, because they're all understandably combat oriented. I think sota 2064 may change this...

but for me, one of my favorite "stock adepts" is the cyborg ninja from MGS. I call the cyborged adepts razor angels and they've become almost an archetype in some of my campaigns. The brutalized veteran who has pushed onward in pursuit of his art even though his talent is locked behind geas, or the unbeaten monk who, frustrated with the frailties of flesh, has pushed himself beyond the meat he was born with.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 27 2004, 04:26 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

First thought. What type of adept.

I have seen 2 played. One was mine and he came of as a troll from the barons without an assessing test you wouldn’t be able to tell he was magical.

The other was based on buffy

Generally I assume that without assessing there is no way to tell the difference between an adept and somebody that is just that good (and has wires & bio). Pick another archetype from game or movie as the basis for personality, looks and style (or make something up).

Adept dose not come with a pre-packaged style the way heretics and shamans often do.

Edward

+Quote Post
xythlord
post Sep 27 2004, 04:59 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,492

Gramaton Cleric from Equilibrium. Definately a Way of the Gun adept!

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Sep 27 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

A lot of comics/movie examples come to my mind when I think of Adepts...a little bit of Wolverine (enhanced senses, high recuperation rate, resistance to toxins), Daredevil or Elektra (Frank Miller's, not that stupid Jenny Gardner character) (once again senses, absolute body control and enhanced martial skills), Bullseye or the psychokiller in Desperado (Danny Trejo) (for Missile Mastery), of course all those kick artists we love to see in movies from Bruce Lee to Jet Lee or steven seagal (nah...just kiddin' chummers), Matrix characters, Blade or that katana-totting asian guy in Blade 2, Bale's Equilibrium Cleric Preston,..
But I agree with people who said that all Adepts are not Bruce Lee lookalikes...think about an Athabaskan or Inuit survivalist with Traceless Walk, Temperature Tolerance, Improved Throwing Weapons (Harpoons), enhanced senses (smell, glare resistance), Pain Resistance...who uses his powers as a guide for smuggler rings, or as a tribal vigilante...definitely not the standard bushido freak...I think that many characters can be woven around the Adept generic concept...
Then again it's true that many powers lean towards the ninja-infiltrator type (Cat Fall, Traceless Walk, Improved reflexes, Improved Skills...) but don't forget that one of the best bolchoļ dancer is an Adept while some are highly talented sculptors or athletes...you could imagine a Nascar Adept for non-rigger leagues...of course those are not the ones we see around the table, but it helps break the stereotype...

+Quote Post
Arz
post Sep 27 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,751

I think of modern day athletes who are freakishly above the norm and multiply by a factor of _magic_ :eek:

+Quote Post
iPad
post Sep 27 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,671

All the ninjas in the Dark Angel adventure are pritty much adepts, and trolls.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Sep 27 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I tend to imagine modern day olympic target shooters and/or archers when I think if IA adepts. I suppose they must have geased their powers with the "must use silly looking optics/bows" geas. Still, the look of focus on their faces makes me think magic.

+Quote Post
FSBO
post Sep 27 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 6,593

I tend to think of adepts as Street Sams of a different path. Some noncombatant things that are nice about an Adept are astral projection and aura read as a B&E team this allow them to avoid some of the nasties waiting in astral land. As body guards this help to avoid the same astral baddies laying in wait for your boss, when your mage gets distracted.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 27 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Astral perception, you mean? No canon way for a physad to astrally project.

~J

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Sep 27 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,740

A lot of anime characters. Really. Most of them. Any main character of an action anime.

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Sep 27 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,740

QUOTE (Young Freud)
QUOTE (Axe)

Jean's a werewolf? I love him even more.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.