IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concealing a foci, Just how shiny are your toys?
Zenmaxer
post Sep 27 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,682

Okay, the question finally came up. How thick is a focus's aura, and where can you stick it to hide it? Will clothing do? How about military armor? Can you block someone's view of your foci using a riot shield?

For that matter, how thick is a person's aura? what sort of cover is needed to keep it from being a bullseye? If I press my hand to a sheet of opaque glass, will the mage boy who's been idly watching the window be able to test his wiz new combat spell on me? If not, why can he shoot me through my awesome suit of milspec armor?

:: sighs :: this is why I don't play a mage often... the rules get tangled up with the fluff.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Sep 27 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Firstly, "foci" is plural, the singular is "focus."

Second, the aura thing has been debated up and down on these forums (and probably side to side and diagonally) so many times.... and well, my take on it is this: Its not worth it to try to figure out the precise radiance distance of your aura or of auras in general. Make it easy on yourself. Anything that is construed as "clothing" fails to block the aura (this includes all armor types, of which milspec armor is one). Anything that is not clothing that is normally opaque does block the aura.

Note that normal riot shields are transparent, and would not hinder view of any foci, while opaque versions could potentially do so, depending on relative positions and the like. Also note that only active foci have an astral presence, and this is not the default condition. It takes a simple action to activate a focus, and a free action to deactivate it. So most of the time your foci are astrally indistinguishable from mundane items without a specific assensing test.

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Sep 28 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

:: laughs :: sorry about the plurality issues, it's been a long day and my brain is shot. The reason I ask is because I was wondering what if you cast a physical style barrier spell and made it opaque. Would this block your aura from view?

Second, one of my players DOES generally implant his foci... how would you handle their astral visibility?

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Sep 28 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

A common idea is that cyberware in individuals produces "dark spots" on their astral bodies which give hints to the location and type of 'ware installed. Likewise, implanted activated foci might produce "bright spots" on the astral body. Implanting foci is a great way to keep them from getting stolen/lost (unless they're in a limb, and, well, nevermind...), but as I GM, I would not give them any benefit to being spotted on the astral.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Sep 28 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #5

UMS O.G.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,335

Implanted ACTIVE Foci are a valid target for attack. Since assensing is the first step to seeing an active spell, they can target a focus in a pouch on your back no matter where they are. You dispell the spell being sustained, then go after the focus and crush it.

Making a physical barrier opaque would block your aura because it would be just like any other form of cover. Poke your head over the top to shoot and still take +6 cover in the middle of the street.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Sep 28 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #6

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Zenmaxer, I don't see anything in the rules for making a regular barrier spell produce an Opaque barrier. The Barrier descriptions on page 198 of SR3 indicate it only gives a +1 penalty to seeing through the barrier.

Necro Tech, The height of a barrier set as a wall is equal to its Force. It'd have to be a pretty low Force barrier for my characters to poke their head over the top.

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Sep 28 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

actually, it notes a number of times in the fluff that the visual effects of magic are up to the caster, if I remember, something that I always felt was an invitation to bahroken effects. I see no reason why I barrier spell might not produce an opaque barrier.

:: nods :: I think I agree that I wouldn't make them invisible, but what might be interesting is to force the assensing mage to be actively looking for foci inside the target's aura... otherwise you probably just wouldn't notice them as a mage, would you? I'd think it'd be a bit unexpected at the very least and more than likely slightly more difficult to actually get an astral bead on an...umm...interior focus.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 28 2004, 02:07 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I'd personally make it as easy as an external focus if the mage isn't astrally active. If he or she is, though…

~J

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Sep 28 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (OurTeam)
Zenmaxer, I don't see anything in the rules for making a regular barrier spell produce an Opaque barrier. The Barrier descriptions on page 198 of SR3 indicate it only gives a +1 penalty to seeing through the barrier.

Necro Tech, The height of a barrier set as a wall is equal to its Force. It'd have to be a pretty low Force barrier for my characters to poke their head over the top.

Various barrier/ward types are in MitS. Types include but aren't limited to Polarized Wards (works like those special mirrors you can see out but no one else can see in), and Alarm Wards, which are invisible on the astral and don't block anything but will instantly alert the ward creator if anything goes past it on the astral.

Don't have my book with me but IIRC it was in the 80's page number range of MitS.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 28 2004, 03:00 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Ward is an astral wall, barrier is a physical spell. The two are significantly different.

+Quote Post
Friggas Ring
post Sep 29 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 5,013

"Implanted" foci? Man, that does not some like a good idea to me. If I faced a mage who had an astrally active focus implanted into their body, animate, levitate or anything else to just to cause a lot of displeasure. To me, that's an astrally active bullet that was just placed inside of someone's armor. Hrm, what's the spell I'm thinking of? Flame Aura? Won't hurt the foci, but if you can see in in the astral, you can cast on it. That's a burning piece of whatever lodged inside of someone's body.

EDIT: Using astral perception to "see" the foci, and since your body's still in the physical, you can cast physical spells on it. I have a tendancy to not specify stuff because I forget people aren't... y'know... telepathic.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Sep 29 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

How would that jibe with the "physical spells cannot be cast from the astral" principle?

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Sep 29 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

[edit] Joe beat me to it.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 29 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

My runners always seem to foget that Astrally cast spells will ground to the meatbody, then detonate.

Nothing like doing watch duty over a Mage then ***KA-BOOM***, Incomming Fireball! :D

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Sep 29 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #15

Running Target

There is absolutely nothing preventing astrally percieving mages from casting physical spells. Sounds like a wonderful argument against focus implanting, to me.

Edit: this is in regards to Friggas Ring's post and the comments associated therewith.

This post has been edited by Jason Farlander: Sep 29 2004, 06:33 PM

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Sep 29 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
My runners always seem to foget that Astrally cast spells will ground to the meatbody, then detonate.

Nothing like doing watch duty over a Mage then ***KA-BOOM***, Incomming Fireball! :D

The concept of grounding spells was lost in the transition from SR2 to SR3. Physical spells can not be cast at all while astrally projecting.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 29 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Say what? No grounding? So replacing "Fireball" with "Manaball" would have no effect at the meatbody?

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Sep 29 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #18

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Say what? 

... what ... *sorry couldn't resist*

No grounding? 

No more grounding in SR3 ...

So replacing "Fireball" with "Manaball" would have no effect at the meatbody?

Exactly ... In order to cast a spell against any target that target has to be "valid". Valid targets have to be on the same plane and must be seen (either physical sight or astral sight. So casting a manaball while projecting against an active focus will affect the focus (essentially it's astral body), but it won't affect purely physical beings (although you're most likely able to "see" them at that time) since you're not on the same plane as those beings ...

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Sep 29 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

One way to get round the problem of not being able to affect physical things from the astral, e.g. mundanes, is to do this:

Find an astrally projecting mage, dual natured character, or similar. Normally you'd only be able to blast this guy with manabolts, but leave his friends untouched. Instead just cast an Influence or Control type spell on him (not easy since he's a mage = high wilpower) and then order him to go and manabolt his friends, or give away their position so you can send some grenades over there, or shoot them all in the back, etc etc.

He'll get second chances and there are some hard rolls, but at least it's an option.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 29 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

It's the damned subtle changes from SR2 to SR3 that are messing me up. FanPro needs some sort of list of the changes made from SR2 -> SR3, atleast the big enough changes anyways.

It's funny, my group just realized that the tried-and-true "Panther Cannon" was not included in SR3 until the Cannon Companion, sheesh. It was however replaced in SR3 with the "Ares Vigorous Assault Cannon", bleh.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Sep 29 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Now, a dual-natured being (e.g., a magician using astral perception) can cast physical spells against targets only in the physical word (e.g., a mundane) as well as mana spells against purely astral targets (e.g., a non-materialized spirit). Likewise, the dual-natured being can be targetted by astral/mana as well as physical effects. So here's my question: Blind Bob, the blind shaman is on a run, using astral perception instead of physical sight (he's just cool like that). He spots a corporate security mage, who is also astrally perceiving, surrounded by a bunch of security goons (think the cover of FoF or something). Can he manaball the lot of them? Fireball the lot of them? Are there any constraints on who is a valid target for what kind of spells under these conditions?

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Sep 29 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #22

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

He can target them all ... He's on the same plane (currently actually on both). He "sees" his targets => Say hello to "Manaball" or "Fireball" ...

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Sep 29 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Cheers. Or both, if he's feeling thorough.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 29 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
It's funny, my group just realized that the tried-and-true "Panther Cannon" was not included in SR3 until the Cannon Companion, sheesh. It was however replaced in SR3 with the "Ares Vigorous Assault Cannon", bleh.

Has the PAC ever been in a base book?

I'm considering making a Grounding metamagic. I'll post it later if I can get it looking vaguely balanced.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Sep 29 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #25

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

PAC is not in 2nd Core (just checked :D), but it is in Street Sammie Catalog.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.