Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problems with magic, Problems with magic
SoulKage
post Oct 3 2004, 08:36 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,720

Hi all! I've always loved the Shadowrun universe but I've hit several problems with magic. I'm new to GMing (heck, playing the game) and this is what happened. After getting the melee and ranged rules down I studied magic and explained the rules to my friends. One friend found that if he took certain combinations of sustaining foci and spells, he could become improved invis, +6/6 armor, +4d6 initiative, +X to any stat he wanted, and flying forever...

Needless to say this just broke the game instantly and I fought for 3 hours tying to un-break it and I gave up. I'm hoping I'm missing some rules or something because magic just seems WAY too powerful, like as in you would need about 10 kilos of High explosive compound XI to ensure his death.. Anything short of that just tickles him.

I also have many more questions about Shadowrun and am hoping I can get some links to sites for further clarification on the rules. Thanks all!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 3 2004, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

To start with, use Focus Addiction (Magic in the Shadows page 45). This rule is exactly designed for the problem you are observing. With this rule, a magician risks magic loss if he uses too many foci at once. A power focus does NOT increase the Magic Attribute, so it doesn't help you get around the Focus Addiction rule.

Double-check the force and number of successes for his spells that raise attributes.

Lone Star does have magicians on occasional patrol, or on their way to a crime scene, who WILL notice if a magician has powerful magic. It takes but a moment to stop and ask to see the permit for that powerful magic. (All spells with Force higher than 2 require a permit.)

Initiation (in Magic in the Shadows) allows a character to learn 'Masking', which can help a character hide his Foci and active spells. But only as many Force points of these as the magician has in Grades of initiation.

Powerful corporations and powerful people pay for protection against invisible flying magicians. Wards, watcher and spirit patrols, astral magicians, FAB I and II, biofiber, etc.

Active foci can be attacked from astral space by magicians, mana spells, and spirits.

There are places in the barrens where using 100,000 nuyen worth of foci will get you killed for the value of those foci. Have you ever seen an Adept with Astral Perception firing a rifle at an Invisible Magician?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (SoulKage)
I also have many more questions about Shadowrun and am hoping I can get some links to sites for further clarification on the rules.

This is the site for all your Shadowrun answers. Welcome. :)

As to your magic problem, I would suggest first and foremost go back through the appropriate books and magic sections at your disposal. Make a magical character yourself, and try to exploit all the different loopholes you find, or that your player has already pointed out. Then look through the book for something that would counter them, or something that makes using those loopholes less desirable.

The solutions don't always have to be magical. For example...

Public opinion: His social TNs should rise using so many obvious magical crap. Real people don't like what they don't understand.

Legal: All Spells/Foci/Spirits/Spell Formulae/etc. (basically anything magical with a rating) of Rating/Force 3 and above are illegal unless a permit is possessed. Most cops are trained to immediately call for backup upon seeing blatant displays of magic, which in the case of any magic is the Lone Star HRT (or equivalent).

Astral: Not only is every active Spell and Focus a glowing entity on the Astral, giving away one's location and or attracting unwanted attention, but Active Spells and Foci cannot pass through Wards, which are becoming more and more common in the paranoid Sixth World. Don't forget that all those trinkets have an Astral signature than can be tracked through certain magical rituals.

Criminal: There are always those who will risk even the greatest perceived threat to gain in either power or material wealth. Such blatant advertisement of high-priced and/or powered magical goodies would certainly attract the wrong attention...usually at the worst possible moment.

I'm sure you can think of others. The best thing to do though, as I said, is to just grind your way through the rules (and flavor text) until you know how to tweak it...and know how to prevent it's being tweaked.

Remember that it is your game, and if you think something is hurting it, you can disallow it. Nothing says that you have to use every rule. Nothing says you can't slowly introduce the various elements of magic as you become more familiar with each kind. The same goes for any element, be that magic, cyber, or gear. Just because it's in the book doesn't mean the players have to have access to it.

I hope at least some of this helps. feel free to ask pretty much anything topic-related here. Just don't expect everyone to agree. ;)

+Quote Post
tjn
post Oct 3 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

SoulKage, either you missed something, or the force of the spells are extremely low as the power gamer inside me tells me that it's not possible to gather that much power as a starting character. Somewhere, somehow, there is a glaring weakness if that's a realitively starting character.

Firstly, how did the mage aquire that much karma/spell points to bond so many foci? Also, make sure he is not playing mix and match with his Sustaining Foci; each Sustaining Foci is keyed to a specific spell. Also, Sustaining Foci can only hold up to a force of spell equal to it's own force, make sure you've not missed that.

Secondly, take a look at the force of the spells he's casting, many are limited in some fashion by the force of the spells themselves (Inc Reflex is the only glaring exception that comes to mind). If he has a bunch of low force spells and the complementary low force foci, that's okay, but make sure he understands he shouldn't expect miraculous effects, or even the effects he would have gotten at a force of 6.

As this is an ooc problem, solving it icly isn't the way to go IMO. However if everything is perfectly legit, it may be you aren't used to some of the IC problems that come with being Awakened. Part of the power balance of an Awakened comes from the numerous pitfalls that inhabit their lives (the other part is the huge karma sinks). OurTeam and Fortune supplied a few of them (wards especially are the bane of the Awakened), here's two more ideas.

I want you to keep in mind background counts. Personally, in my Seattle, it is a rare event in which there isn't at least a count of 1. That +1 TN doesn't seem like much, but since it applies to damn near every single magical roll, it adds up. And heaven forbid if there's a higher count; a 3 or 4 (usually reserved for special reasons) can neuter the power of a starting mage.

And if you don't have Threats 2, at least try to find someone else's to read. In addition to having a bunch of cool ideas to steal, they have Imps. Imps are a foci abuser's worst nightmare: they steal control of the focus itself from the mage.

In the end, magic doesn't break the unduly break the game without a cause, and outside of extremely high karma games (hundreds of spent Karma), magic is ultimately balanced. For as many paths to power magic provides, it also provides that many pitfalls.

+Quote Post
Chasgul III
post Oct 3 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 1,395

Remember that the Increase Atribute spell is actually Attribute specific. That means that you have to learn Increase Intelligence at force 6, then Increase Strength at force 6, and so on - don't let the players get away with telling you that Increase attribute is a general spell that they can learn once and "Presto - I'm Harlequin's long lost elder brother, honest..."

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,682

what you SHOULD watch out for is spells that are learned as exclusive or fetished... because technically you can learn them free at force 1 and 2 respectively.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Zenmaxer)
what you SHOULD watch out for is spells that are learned as exclusive or fetished... because technically you can learn them free at force 1 and 2 respectively.

Yep, and according to Rob Boyle, that is a totally legal thing to do as long as it isn't taken too far. I tend to agree that 3 or 4 free low-level 'cantrips' can add some flavor to the game. The problem is that there are quite a few spells that are extremely useful at Force 1 or 2.

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

actually fortune, I've been thinking about that, and I've really come to believe that it's intentional, designed to allow your mage some versatility, without sacrificing overall punch.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

The only one that really bugs me is Increase Reflexes. If it was based on Force (as it is in my games) it would be fine. I can deal with things like Force 1 Mindlink, Camo, Invisibility, Oxygenate, etc.

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

actually the one that bothers me is physical camo. that can really cause some havoc...
especially in a sustaining focus built into the handle of your gun....at a legal force 2.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 4 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Looking at this character:

First of all, foci, as has been stated, have to be deactivated to pass through wards. Now, you could take your foci through a ward if they were powerful enough, but even if you bring the ward down, you have still alerted the mage who created the ward. In other words, you have set off the alarm. Also, remember that active foci can be attacked astrally, and that having more than (Magic x 2) in Force active at once can lead to foci addiction. Remember as well - he needs to spend spell points to bond all of these foci!

Improved invisibility is a resisted spell, meaning that someone who successfully resists the spell can see the invisible person. Secondly, it doesn't affect smell, sound, etc. Thirdly, it is a fairly common spell, and defences will be in place to deal with it. Dual-natured beings can see the character just fine, since invisibility doesn't work against astral sight. Also, guards get suspicious when doors open by themselves, etc.

Armor makes the character glow. It is like creating a neon sign saying "Geek me! I'm a mage!" You might justifiably rule that invisibility cannot mask the glow, since it it a light source. +6/+6 may seem like an awful lot of armor, but automatic fire can be pretty powerful. You don't need any contrived attacks, either - any punk ganger on the street could have a cheap, auto-fire capable, submachine gun. The biggest thing to remember is that the armor spell doesn't create hardened armor, so the best it can do is to lower the effective Power of an attack to 2. So, someone with a 4L holdout pistol could still maim the character if he got good enough rolls.

The initiative boost is not that impressive. +3d6, the highest you can go, only makes you about the same as a street samurai with Wired Reflexes: 2. And most decent sammies will be far above that.

Increase Attribute takes a lot of successes (2 per one point increase), and it uses the base Attribute as a TN - so raising a Willpower that is already 6 any higher will take some decent rolls.

Levitate is a useful spell, but remember that if an enemy mage sees him hovering 100 feet above, then successfully dispelling the spell or taking out the focus will make the character go SPLAT!

One thing to keep in mind about the basic rules is that they are geared towards creating professional criminals, hardened pros who have been doing this for awhile and are about to break into the big time. So starting characters can be tough (although SR combat is also pretty lethal, so they are not invincible by any means). The system that created this character can also be used to create brutally effective street samurai and adepts.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 4 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

That would be an interesting effect of invis+Armor. A glow from no apparent source.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 4 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Imps.

+Quote Post
Derek
post Oct 4 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #14

Jacked In, Up & Out

Member No.: 95

Or, you can talk to the player in question, explain to him that his use of the rules is causing problems within the game and ask him to kindly not try and abuse the rules to make his character the most powerful 10 times over. If he says no, tell him to not bother showing up for the next game session.

Derek

+Quote Post
heliocentric
post Oct 4 2004, 01:47 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,724

I had a similar problem a few years ago with one of my players. He had made a bet with someone outside of my game he could make a standard mage better at HtH than an adept.

He won the bet.

I ruled that the sheer amount of mana shooting through his body lit him up like a beacon on the astral, attracting all manner of magical beasties.

It just so happened my antagonists for this campaign were an organized crime syndicate suffering from HMHVV. Hee hee hee...

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 4 2004, 04:54 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

It is always better to talk to the player, first. For one thing, he may not even know there is a "problem", and may be happy to tone down his character if that will make it easier for you. After all, he's (as far as I know) not breaking any rules, or even doing any obnoxious meta-gaming or loophole-finding. He's simply picking a mix of foci to make himself effective in a number of roles.

It's easy enough for a GM arbitrarily kill a PC, but that's being unfair to the player, and is not usually effective at causing the changes you want. It will either make the player leave in disgust, or convince him that his next character needs to be even more munchkin, since the first one obviously wasn't tough enough.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Oct 4 2004, 05:15 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

How is he getting those stat boosts so high? In past threads where munchins have claimed to have done those and maxed the success in the downtime, I have scene response that ran the line of 'divide the downtime into 3 second turns and let him roll that many times.'

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 4 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #18

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Glyph)
It is always better to talk to the player, first. For one thing, he may not even know there is a "problem", and may be happy to tone down his character if that will make it easier for you. After all, he's (as far as I know) not breaking any rules, or even doing any obnoxious meta-gaming or loophole-finding. He's simply picking a mix of foci to make himself effective in a number of roles.

I don't think this is the problem though. I don't even think they have actual characters made up yet. The issue here as I understand it is they were looking through the rules and realized that magic-users have a much higher potential power than non-mages. And they're completely right too; given infinite Karma an Awakened character *will* be better at, well, everything than a non-Awakened character. It's inevitable, really. They just have more stuff they can get than a sam, plus they can get all the stuff a sam does in addition.

The trick is, noone has infinite Karma. The mage will always be limited by his available karma points, and most of it really guzzles the karma as well. The other issues with magic others have dealt with better than I have, but the things you really want to take notice of are wards (alarm wards in particular are nasty and nifty; they should be everywhere your characters want to go), and astral/dual-natured enemies, like hell-hounds and bound spirits and the like.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 4 2004, 08:45 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

While talking to the player is pretty much a given, I still believe that the GM should know the system at least as well as his players. Sit down with the player in question and go through the entire magic rules with him. This isn't a bad thing to do with all the players, and something I do each and every time one of my players goes through chargen. It not only familiarizes the GM (and the player, if necessary) with the rules, but it gives the GM an intimate view into the character and his motivations...moreso than what can come across in a written background.

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 4 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Ultimately I'm with Glyph. A little power is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's no fun to be forced to rob department stores or shake down ramen shops. Just build the resistance to deal with the char.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Oct 4 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

What kind of resistance could you have to a mage like that, that wouldn't also wipe out the rest of the team? Seriously, I think both the player and the GM (the latter in particular) need to review, well, let's be thorough and say the magic section in the BBB, Compaion, and MitS for good measure. The GM is obviously not prepared to handle what this player is doing, and I think the player, knowing or not, is breaking some important rules about magic use.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 4 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Astral threats.

~J

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 4 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

actually, you could just use the silly essence kitten from TSS, though it's not canon.
at least the feline would finally see some use.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 4 2004, 03:25 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

It already had use: being cute and fuzzy.

~J

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 4 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #25

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

What kind of resistance could you have to a mage like that,
This is a trick question. Except in a very long term game you can't actually realistically have a mage like that in most games and have it work. That takes a whole pile of karma that was not spent on skills and abilities. Karma that goes down the drain when they go through a ward and roll bad, ect.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:14 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.