> Old-Timer adrift in the Awakened World
DrJest
post Oct 3 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,722

Wow...

I used to play and run a lot of Shadowrun. I bought it about a month after 1st Ed was released; my first character was called Harlequin, and boy did that make things confusing after a while Wink. I avidly followed the development of the Secrets, and even worked out that Earthdawn and SR were the same world before we were told (the giveaway for me was the portrait in Jenna Ni'Faira's office). The last supplement I bought was Blood in the Boardroom; then, I don't know, nobody seemed interested any more, so I kind of fell of the pace a bit.

There's a reason for this OldTimer rambling. Recently my wife offered, as part of her continued quest to become a well-rounded roleplayer and GM, to run a SR campaign for me. Hallelujah! I went to brush up on my SR history, and... wow. Looks like a drekload has happened, and I have no idea where to start. So I was hoping some of you guys might help enlighten me a bit.

I know from Psychotrope that the Otaku seem to have been created by a spontaneous AI. Do we now know why, what happened, or where that's going?

What's going on with the Renraku Archology? has it opened up again yet, or is the mad AI still in control?

Do we know who murdered Dunkelzahn yet? And for that matter, how?

Have the Horrors made any more incursions into the world?

What the frag is going on in Aztlan? Do we know what the mysterious "Locus" is yet? And what is so weird about Juan Atzcapotzalco (sp) ?

Have any new meta-storylines started up?

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Welcome to Dumpshock.

I'd answer, but I referred you here to get a better response than I could give. Just wait until Ancient History finds this thread (by the way, he's amenable to PMs if you have a SR history question...just send him a link to this thread).

Meanwhile, you could while away a bit of time and lose yourself in Shadowrun historical minutae by visiting his site. :)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 3 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I am here!

I know from Psychotrope that the Otaku seem to have been created by a spontaneous AI. Do we now know why, what happened, or where that's going?

Iffy. Most of the new books appear to be denying Psychotrope, but AIs can make otaku. Check it out here

What's going on with the Renraku Archology? has it opened up again yet, or is the mad AI still in control?

Deus, the mad AI, has left the building. On last count Renraku security and UCAS armed forces were retaking the Arcology floor by floor and making good progress clearing out the drones and salvaging.

Do we know who murdered Dunkelzahn yet? And for that matter, how?

Yes. It's in the Dragonheart Trilogy, but the gist of it is that Dunkie sacrificed himself to empower a mighty artifact to stop the Enemy from coming through.

Have the Horrors made any more incursions into the world?

A little. Nothing unusual since Dunkie stopped the last wave.

What the frag is going on in Aztlan? Do we know what the mysterious "Locus" is yet? And what is so weird about Juan Atzcapotzalco (sp) ?

The best I can do is point you to the annotated Aztlan annotations. Currently, Aztlan is dealing with the Yucatan war and the loss of Denver and the dissapearence of Juan and Darke.

Have any new meta-storylines started up?

You betcha. The German "Shockwaves" plot which we're feeling ripples of over here, among others.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

He's my hero! ;)

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,682

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 3 2004, 08:53 AM)

Deus, the mad AI, has left the building. On last count Renraku security and UCAS armed forces were retaking the Arcology floor by floor and making good progress clearing out the drones and salvaging.

This is not entirely accurate, but I treat it like it is, because frankly I'm dead tired of Deus and his silly crackpot minions.
see threats two for more information.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Note that AH didn't once say that Deus was defeated. Merely that he has indeed left the building, for all intents and purposes. :D

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 02:48 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

:: grins :: Yeah, I noticed.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 4 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Actually if you have Blood in the boardroom, you've got ap iece of the biggest changes to the world in that Fuchi is gone and other AAA's have cropped up, most noticiabley CAT and Wuxing.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Oct 4 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Thanks guys, that'll help catch up :)

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Oct 4 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

All those new beasties that have come out of the DC Rift since Ghostwalker's return could be considered as harbingers of the dark times to come: the Shedim and the Imps could be seen as proto-horrors (like the Wraiths maybe)...

The next big things could come from the Matrix, with the Deep Resonance (and its twisted counterpart the Dissonance) being the source of more mysteries and wonders.

Since WIzKids has aquired the rights on Earthdawn, don't you think the old immortals metaplot is going to come back full-force?

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 4 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

actually, there are already hints of it... the one piece of art we have for Pendragon has him with a painted face....wielding what people believe to be excalibur.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 4 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Zenmaxer)
actually, there are already hints of it... the one piece of art we have for Pendragon has him with a painted face....wielding what people believe to be excalibur.

Is there a copy of that pic online?

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 4 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

no, but I could scan it, if you think that wouldn't be copyright infringement...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 4 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Damn! :(

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Oct 4 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Zenmaxer)

... which we know that Dunkelzahn left to Harlequin in his will (kinda - he didn't actually possess it at the time :) )

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 4 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Yes we do! :lick: :smokin:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.