post Oct 3 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,682

Okay, Let's start at ground level here.

When was Tibet sealed?

What sort of seal?

What does it look like from outside now?

next--

Tibetian NPCs. Clearly there's some way out, as evidenced by...brainscan was it?

What sort of powers would they have?

Why is there no mention of buddhism in MITS that I remember, especially with all the emphasis on samurai culture, zen adepts, and ancient mystical traditions?

Finally

Will it ever be unsealed?

And why would Big D have had the "Seal of the Green Gloves" to begin with?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 3 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Tibet was sealed shortly after the Awakening, and it was described as a mystic barrier...no idea other than that as to what it looked like. The Tibetans appear to control entry and exit from Tibet.

The individual powers of Tibetans depends on magical aptitude, training, etc. Those monks from Brainscan were physical adepts who displayed an unusual variant of the Deadly Hands power. It is likely Tibet holds other mystical secrets as well.

Buddhism, like Catholicism, is a many-headed Hydra. Samurai and Zen philosophy are characteristic of the Japanese flavor of Buddhism, while Tibet is a mixture of Chinese and Indian Buddhism, with a few other influences here and there. THe heavy monastic tradtion of the region benefits from that.

To answer your question: just as Christianity has no magical tradition associated exclusively with it, neither does Buddhism (that we know of.)

Will it ever be unsealed? Maybe. If Lung wanted to crack that particular shell, I think we'd see some fireworks.

Who knows how DUnkie got the Seal? Hell, we don't know if it's a magical artifact or just a cultural visa.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 3 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Just to add, the barrier went up in 2011.

~J

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 3 2004, 09:57 AM)

Buddhism, like Catholicism, is a many-headed Hydra. Samurai and Zen philosophy are characteristic of the Japanese flavor of Buddhism, while Tibet is a mixture of Chinese and Indian Buddhism, with a few other influences here and there. THe heavy monastic tradtion of the region benefits from that.

To answer your question: just as Christianity has no magical tradition associated exclusively with it, neither does Buddhism (that we know of.)

Right, but Christian magic DID get a wee blurb in MITS. Buddhism, on the other hand, has never been touched outside of brainscan. It just made me deeply suspicious, especially given how purposeful the compilations have generally been. For reference, Shinto _did_ get a blurb, before anyone mentions that limits on its application might have precluded buddhism's presence.

Also, Christianity does have a heavy mystical tradition associated with it, often with strong numerological connotations.

2011? that's interesting. And very fast.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 3 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Many of these questions will be answered in Shadows of Asia. And a few new surprises.

Tibet was sealed just after the Awakening. The Seal of the Green Gloves allows for passing in and out of Tibet, but that doesn't mean it's the only way.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 3 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #6

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Tibet's being covered in Shadows of Asia? Nice. :) You having a hand in that DE- I remember you had some ideas about the place?

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 3 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

I am involved in it, yep.

There will likely be more that I want to say than will make print, so eventually there will be even more, one way or another. :P

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

:: grins :: and here I was thinking I'd made a mistake starting this topic, and instead we get a goodie!

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 3 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

A possibly nuclear Greater Tibet? Oh this should be good. :D

The Dalai Lama back in charge as a possible theocracy. Hhmm, wonder if he's Awakened? Something like his position and possible ED type of ReNaming ritual to make him head of the group like Cybertech mentioned would be a truely evil idea.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 3 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

You wouldn't need reNaming for that to happen. :P

+Quote Post
Tal
post Oct 4 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,294

QUOTE (Zenmaxer)
And why would Big D have had the "Seal of the Green Gloves" to begin with?

Psh. He's a great dragon. Deus ex machina incarnate. Take a look at his will some time. The lizard had heaps of fun little toys.

As I understand it, the Seal lets you pass through the barrier. Like Demonseed said, not the only way, but probably the best way for a Mundane to get in. (Which corp head has these? Whoever it was hightailed off to Tibet with 'em...)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 4 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Inazo Aneki, of Renraku.

As for why he has them, my guess is that either he's connected with the people who constructed it, or he's connected with the people who prepared what was needed for its construction in the Fourth World.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 4 2004, 07:36 AM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

The question is...who has them now, because I'm pretty sure they aren't in the hands of Aneki?!?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 4 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Presumably either Renraku, the Brainscan runners, Dodger, Ronin, or the remnants of the drone horde.

Edit: that's based on a false assumption, never mind. If Aneki had the seal on him during Brainscan, see above. If not, Renraku or the Tibetans are the most likely, but all bets are off.

~J

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 4 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

I was under the impression it was like a round trip ticket, and the tibetians had it.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 4 2004, 02:26 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

There's no evidence to back that assumption. ;)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 4 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

for that matter, there's nothing that says the barrier around Tibet is two-way. maybe he left them there, not needing them to get out.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 4 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Oh, Aneki needed help to get out...they'd barely managed to re-potty train the poor bastard. Whether anyone else needs the Seal of Green Gloves to get out, well, I dunno.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:10 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.