IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elemental Question, What is the best method to use for this?
SaddMann
post Oct 3 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,885

Situation: Runner mage, locked in an old jail. The bars have been replaced with Plasteel, but that is the only recent upgrade. Mage calls up his force three fire elemental that has been on call one night to melt the bars. Easy enough. So here is my question: What mechanics would you use to simulate this? Does the elemental engulf it, and then just apply spell effects to the barrier? Would it use it's flamethrower repeatedly till they get hot enought to melt? Can a force 3 elemental even generate enough heat to melt Plasteel bars? If we use pure barrier ratings, it would almost take a greater form to melt them. Does anyone have an opinon, or suggestion on this?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 3 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Can a force 3 elemental even generate enough heat to melt Plasteel bars?

I say no. You'd need a Thermite Elemental.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Oct 3 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

I would treat the attempt to 'melt through' the bars as an attack against them. The Fire Elemental has an attack of 1M; it will take a mighty blow indeed for him to even cause minor damage to the bars. (IMO, you would use the OR of the bars, not the barrier rating). I don't think your force 3 will even scratch the bars. If you were encased in something natural, or a cave carved out of a mountain, you'd have a case. But with plasteel and concrete, I would make you get either a much stronger friend, or some good old fashioned plastic explosives.

Edit: Yes, the Fire Elemental will get both a +2 power bonus for flame aura and an 'extra damage' every time it connects of 3M from the aura. Alternately, it could engulf for 4M damage each turn. It could use Flamethrower, but a Force 3 Flamethrower spell won't really scratch the survace of those bars, which have an OR of 8.

This post has been edited by Luke Hardison: Oct 3 2004, 08:38 PM

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 3 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #4

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

What you're looking for are the Barrier rules, on pg 124-5 of the BBB. Since prison bars would count at least as Heavy Structural material, there's no way a Force 3 fire elemental could damage it. If it were normal material, then it'd have a chance.

+Quote Post
Bane
post Oct 3 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,654

Well, I agree with what's been said about your Force 3 fire elemental not being able to do much to plastisteel bars. However, if you ever actually need to get out of a jail like this one, just have your elemental grab the keys once an incompetent guard leaves them lying about. :)

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 3 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,682

or burn whatever is holding the bars perhaps.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 3 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Or burn whoever is holding the keys.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 3 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Or burn the keys.

Hmmmm…

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.