IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disparity of karma, How much is to much?
Shadow
post Oct 3 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

I had an idea of running a game on the boards where each character was at a different level. I have noticed the habit has been to just say "135 BP + 25 karma" for everyone (or sum such number).

Has anyone done this table top? I know there is a world of difference between DSF games and TT games, but I was curios to see if my fellow Dumpshockers had any incite.

-Shadow
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Oct 3 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,752

Sure I got an incite for you - we should rise up and KILL THE TAPEWORMS! Murder them in their beds! They come over here, takin' our jobs....

Ahem. Sorry, bad form to criticise spelling, I know, especially when I'm barely literate myself, but still, it was too good to pass up!

I've not played online, so I'm not too sure what the question really is, I mean, 135BP + 25 karma probably only works out at about 145BP (VERY rough guess) total, which in a table top game I would equate to about a character with KP3 or so. We have a house rule for characters joining mid campaign where we take the average Karma Pool rating of the existing characters, subtract one, and then award 5 Build Points per karma pool point remaining on top of the 135 we start with, then give the new character a Karma Pool equal to the average of the other characters minus 2, just to make them have to work a little bit. But that's just us. I don't think a Build Point total of 135+25 Karma is going to make that hideous a character, but then we tend to play a high karma game.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 3 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

on shadowland, my ~200 karma character regularly runs with starting-level runners. granted, he ends up doing most of the combat work, but it seems to work out okay. haven't had any complaints yet; the GMs have, so far, put out enough opposition that my char can take the lion's share of the kills, and there's still plenty left over for the rest of the group.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 4 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

IMHO also NEVER tell someone if and how much karma they will get after chargen. It's very easy to cheese chargen so that karma goes FAR more distance if they know they're getting it later.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 4 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

First of all, this is best done secretly. No player should know more about the others than what is revealed in-game (or through co-authored bios, if the characters have to have a history together).

As to in-game rewards, I always give them out in secret, no matter what the game venue. I don't see why anyone would do otherwise.

There really is no reason why characters of disparate power levels can't work together. Especially in Shadowrun, where 'level' is not as important as it would be in D&D.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that you might want to have players you are more familiar with play the more experienced characters, as they will usually (but definitely not always) be the ones driving the storyline, or at least integral to it's advancement. This isn't really a bias, but more a cautionary thing. In online games there is a tendency to start a lot more games than a person can handle. The drop-out rate of players (and GMs) in online games in atrocious (and I am no exception to this). Players who have a proven track record will normally be there when the game (and plot) needs to be moved along.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Oct 4 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Modifying some of my D&D GM'ing experience to a SR perspective, Some karma awards you can give 'in public' to the group. Some stuff, like awards for good RP and such, I like to give privately. Granted its easier to 'hide' in SR as people have mentioned, its a little easier to run a group with a different skill-level array of characters than it is in D&D.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.