TheSkillfulAbbot
post Oct 5 2004, 03:24 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,693

Hello fellow Shadowrunners

This is a great forum.

I have two questions. Thank you in advance for your answers. I use only SR3, Awakenings, and Shadowrun Companion rules.

[I'm at work and don't have my books on me a the moment but . . .

1) In the critter book (pullout) there's an critter I want to use in my game. It's a cross between a bat and a basilisk. I forget the name (StoneXXXX). Its stone spit is a ranged attack. How do I go about deterimining the target numbers for it, as the ranges are not listed in the description.

2)I want to have a decking option in my current adventure in case my players do not follow the scheme I have in mind.

Basically I want a decker to be able to track a purchase and transaction of an item that leads the group to the airport. Then the decker can track the flight number, arrival time, and destination of the passenger and item.

So what I want to know is how would the decker go about getting that flight information? What system would he have to jack? How about the security ACIFs?
Could it be done from home, or would he have to go to the airport.

The location is New York, Manhattan.

Thank you again.

[Update: I just found this post, will give it a read once I get home: Airport decking]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 5 2004, 03:36 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

1) use the ranges from chem-spitting in M&M. TN is raised by 1 for each full meter of distance. Max range of the critter's body. Or some variant of that since the bats probably have a better innate spitting accuracy than humans.

2) not sure about most, but any data that needs to be abailable at other locations (and surprisingly much that doesn't) can be accessed over the matrix. So, he could deck from home, but that's generally a stupid idea unless you toss in at least one satelite.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 5 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

1) In the critter book (pullout) there's an critter I want to use in my game. It's a cross between a bat and a basilisk. I forget the name (StoneXXXX). Its stone spit is a ranged attack. How do I go about deterimining the target numbers for it, as the ranges are not listed in the description.

Stonebinder, one of the most dangerous critters listed in the Paranormal Animals of North America. I don't recall ranges listed, however, using Essence as Strength and Reaction/Quickness as skill I would use the Aerodynamic Throwing Weapon ranges. Remember it can aim too. On the side, I made a variant called the Acidbinder which worked nicely to lower the lethal and otherwise 'permanent' effect of the Stonebinder.

How would the decker go about getting that flight information? 
What system would he have to jack? 
How about the security ACIFS? 
Could it be done from home, or would he have to go to the airport?

Something about the item must set off a security flag in the Matrix. It must require a Permit, or special security measures taken, or must require special documentation for import/export purposes. This information would be forwarded to the airport when the person making the flight arrangements declares it on the ticket order. So, the decker discovers the purchase of such a product by the mark, and then either waits to see where the data goes (it could be instant if the mark has already made flight arrangements) or the decker creates a program to alert him/her when the data is copied or messaged. The decker then follows the data trail to the airport and into the system. It's also possible the decker hacked the mark's bank (not that hard if you are just 'looking' and not trying to do anything) and thus could see every single purchase made on the account including the airplane tickets and all their specifics.

The very first host in this thread is a reasonable host for an Airport. However, the mark may have used a a third party responsible for ticket booking, and as such it would be in charge of all the negotiations, security or otherwise. Such a host would probably be Green 8 6/14/6/12/10 - easy Access to smooth the large number of connections; high Control and Files to prevent fraud; low Index for smooth, large number searches; and modest Slave to prevent spammers on their fax machines and such.

+Quote Post
Axe
post Oct 5 2004, 04:23 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,590

For the decker question: I don't know if I missunderstood, but could you have the decker find the item transaction record (assuming it was bought legally) from the place of purchase and from that get the SIN used then have him head to the airport host and search for transactions made using the same SIN and get the flight info that way?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 5 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

For the decker question: I don't know if I missunderstood, but could you have the decker find the item transaction record (assuming it was bought legally) from the place of purchase and from that get the SIN used then have him head to the airport host and search for transactions made using the same SIN and get the flight info that way?

I think that is a viable method of searching, but what leads the decker to think the mark is taking a flight? It seemed to me that the runners do not suspect the mark is leaving via a flight and thus Abbot wants something to lead them there.

+Quote Post
Axe
post Oct 5 2004, 04:34 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,590

Ooooh I got ya.

+Quote Post
Rock-Steady
post Oct 5 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 1,934

Isnt there an range table in the old "Paranormal Animals of Europe" based on essence?

edit:

Here it is but it is for all powers:

Short: 0-Essencex2
Medium: to Essencex5
Long: to Essencex20
Extreme: to Essencex50

But i found a critter that has also a "spitting" power, the Stymphalian.

Its ranges:

Short: 0-Essence
Medium: (Essence+1)-Essencex2
Long: (Essencex2)+1)-Essencex4
Extreme: (Essencex4)+1)-Essencex6

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 5 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Oct 5 2004, 04:29 AM)

I think that is a viable method of searching, but what leads the decker to think the mark is taking a flight? It seemed to me that the runners do not suspect the mark is leaving via a flight and thus Abbot wants something to lead them there.

If they take a taxi/bus with a credstick that'll show up on the taxi's or bus's system just like a retail sale. Otherwise if they use Autonav on the grid you could try the traffic system, though i believe that system might be tigher. That's where i'd look if i was a runner trying to track someone from a purchase to see where they were going. Sure they can walk a ways, but likely not walk all the way to the airport (or whereever else they might be headed) unless it was relatively close. If it was close to the POS then i'd start gleaming through addresses of associates etc.

+Quote Post
TheSkillfulAbbot
post Oct 5 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #9

Target

Wow. First let me say thank you everyone for your replies. This forum and it's members are like a godsend.

(Hahah. I've been collecting and reading SR for about 10+ years and I am a fanatic - but in all those years finding a group was a hassle]

I should have been a little clearer on my Decker situation and my game in detail.

I'm running a partial non-canon adventure and also my very first Shadowrun story to boot. [ I read a FAQ online that its not good to leave out some of the backstory and keep parts of others. However doing so for my story suits my needs and those of the players]

That said, I originally had no plans to use a decker but when going over my story I realized a possible plot hole that could impede the flow of the original path I've written.

I think using the Matrix [which is an important aspect of SRunning] could fill the hole nicely. So a decker would be needed either as a NPC or Player [ I recently met a guy online who said he was interested in playing my story as a decker] At first I was reluctant, due to my lack of knowledge, but It's kind of silly not to learn and try all the mechanics SR has to offer, right?

Anyway let me continue . . .

Here's a brief summary of whats going on and what I have in mind:
The Runners are looking a for a dagger, modeled after the infamous "Vampire's Kiss". They meet a NPC that offers to use his resources to find the Dagger. But If my players do not agree to his offer, They'll still need to be able to track the weapon.

Over the weekend I was reading about Otaku in the matrix and thought that the concept was the bee's knees [ I vaguely remember reading something that had similiar characters in it, maybe a Gibson tale, not sure though ].

So I thought I could have a the players run into a tribe that are after a kid who they have found is a natural adept at waxing in the matrix. However the pre-adolescent is reluctant to join the group. When he gets cornered by the tribe the runners are there and help him out.

A little a later on some legwork brings up info about otaku and the kid in question. After players get to the scene where they meet the NPC who offers to find the dagger for them and in the event they refuse; they should, I hope, remember their previous encounter with the pre-ad.

I have written up my adventure and put it online for those interested. I'm open to suggestions and if there are any other plot holes I may I have missed please tell me. You can read it HERE [Sorry, IE or Safari, mozilla doesn't display well ]. It's being played on/in Shadowland 6.1.

I'm also looking for Player-NPC's and short story submissions to feel out the atmosphere-one of my players is new to shadowrun. The short stories have nothing to do with the main plot, but just things that are going on in the background. For example, a friend of mind recently sent me a story where a homeless dwarf rat shaman does some mojo in front of the 42nd st. station, draws a crowd, ending with the bottle neckers and spectators tossing him coins.

My players progress can be tracked here for those interested
Gothic Nights

Kanada Ten
On the side, I made a variant called the Acidbinder which worked nicely to lower the lethal and otherwise 'permanent' effect of the Stonebinder.

I'm interested in those stats if you're willing to share :)

-TSA

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 5 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

I'm interested in those stats if you're willing to share.

I just replaced the stone power with Innate Spell (Acid Stream) and left all the rest. They lived in burrows, which they melted into stone cliffs using their acid spit.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Oct 6 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #11

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

If the decker is looking for flight information, it would all be publicly available, no decking needed. If he wants to put a person to a specific plane, that would be very much harder. Orange hard at the minumum. There will be multiple hacks involved. Start with SeaTac main Host, most likely Blue hard or Green easy. Find the host of the company the person flew with. Green moderate. Once in that host, find their node that contains passenger manifest lists. As this info is very valuable, you might actually be looking at a Red moderate with particualr emphasis on the files. Red 9 12/11/11/15/11 would be reasonable. Airlines are very protective of passenger data and will not release it without a court order.

Another option would be to start at the company who owns the plane. You should be able to hop directly to their corporate host and save a step (along with security tally) and time.

+Quote Post
TheSkillfulAbbot
post Oct 6 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #12

Target

Thank you everyone for you help, answers, and replies. They were all very useful. Kanada Ten pretty much summed up exactly what I was looking for in regards my possible decking scenerio. Thank You's again to everyone who replied!

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Something about the item must set off a security flag in the Matrix.  It must require a Permit, or special security measures taken, or must require special documentation for import/export purposes.  This information would be forwarded to the airport when the person making the flight arrangements declares it on the ticket order. decker then follows the data trail to the airport and into the system. 

For my scenerio, the mark will have special documentation for import/export purposes.

And this for this system:

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

The very first host in this thread is a reasonable host for an Airport.  However, Such a host would probably be Green 8 6/14/6/12/10 - easy Access to smooth the large number of connections; high Control and Files to prevent fraud; low Index for smooth, large number searches; and modest Slave to prevent spammers on their fax machines and such.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.