Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greece
mfb
post Oct 5 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

when is Greece going to get covered? there were a few really interesting tidbits in SoE--Greece apparently got greased coming and going during the Great Jihad; the holy warriors defeated the entire country on the way in, and then fought for every inch of it on the way out. combine that with the area's famous cultural heritage (raise your hand if you've ever played a shaman of a Greek god) and the fact than not just one but two metatypes call it home, and you've got a really, really interesting country that is highly relevant in the Sixth World. so when are we gonna get to see some details?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 5 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

I dunno, but it's got a lot of potential. Might make a great web supplement, unless it could be tied into a future product (like the Caribbean League and the Philippines were to Cyberpirates and Australia to Target: Awakened Lands.)

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 5 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #3

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

The Greeks pretty much got screwed. After Shadows of Europe, unless there's an unanounced book in the pipeline that it'd fit in to, the only way I could see somethign happeing was with a book centred on Easter Europe. And I'm not sure how viable that would be. One thing might be that Peter was talking about putting up some of the cut things from Europe up on the web. I know at least at the beginning there were some ideas for the country so that might be better than nothing I suppose.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Oct 5 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

I think Shadows of the Middle East might have been mentioned as a late 2005 - early 2006 product. Based on the Euro Wars, and the mess in Eastern Europe, it might make sense to include Greece (and Turkey) there. I'm just taking a wild stab though.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 5 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

SoME might work. there's a lot of Asia to cover, though--if SoA only covers Japan, Korea, the Chinese states, maybe Thailand, and a couple of 'stans, that leaves most of central and western Asia uncovered. a mid-Asia book could cover Ukraine, the remaining 'stans, India, Greece, Turkey, etcetera.

+Quote Post
otaku mike
post Oct 6 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 332

Yep, I'd like it that way too...

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Oct 6 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (mfb)
SoME might work. there's a lot of Asia to cover, though--if SoA only covers Japan, Korea, the Chinese states, maybe Thailand, and a couple of 'stans, that leaves most of central and western Asia uncovered. a mid-Asia book could cover Ukraine, the remaining 'stans, India, Greece, Turkey, etcetera.

You know that the Ukraine is that thing between Russia and Poland? It is definitly a part of europe geologically (and cultural) and not of Asia. Same is due for current Greece and the interesting parts of Turkey (Anatolia etc are Asia but talk to a european Turk about it - gets the Ostfriesland/Scotland/Texan/<remote, yoked about part of the country> treatment)

Maybe a "Eurosource" err "Shadows of Europe II - The fringe states" would be a better title for the stuff?

Birdy

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Oct 6 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

Many years ago both real and game time, we had someone GM a run to Greece. He had it as a new york/Sydney style corporate enclave in Athens, and the rest of the country pretty much reverted to farming (crops and sheep/goats) both of the domestic and multinational kind, and with the countryside awakened to the same level as say, Tir Na Nog. That whole awakened/technological clash with all the greek mythology stuff thrown in. Ended up through an astral rift (this was before they'd ever appeared in SR sourcebooks that I know of, though they'd probably been mentioned in novels) off to a metaplane that was disturbingly like Hades and certain parts of Ancient Greek tales. It was very tough, and really enjoyable. If there's nothing in the published material, I don't see why not. If large portions of it are corp owned and supply produce to the surrounding countries, there's no reason to think it would have remained all that war torn, not if the landscape itself was as awakened as the Tirs or Amazonia.

EDIT: unless you have REEEEALLY heavy and super realistic politics in your game, in which case as usual, you can count on human nature to find a way to have a war about something, natch. END EDIT

Obviously, not canon. Worked pretty well though.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 9 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 185

The SoE crew has an "almost final draft" of what would have been the Greece chapter. Some of it was used as reference for the material in SOTA63 and more will appear in at least one upcoming book. We won't be releasing the material though since there's still the possibility of Greece/Hellas appearing in an yet-unannounced sourcebook.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 9 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

my guess is Shadows of the Middle East, since the great jihad had such a major impact on the country. Hellas--that's the contested area surrounding Free Macedonia?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 9 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

It should be "Shadows of the Middle East and Asia Minor" I suppose.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 09:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.