Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grenades, Time settings for grenades
UPTD
post Oct 8 2004, 04:58 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,732

One day while I was at a local game day, I was talking to a guy about grenades. Somehow througout our conversation I told him all of the grenades on my person were set to impact. He told me that was a bad idea cuz if I fell it would go off. I disagree with that and then he told me if I was in a jeep and it flipped over they would go off, I dont know about. Then I started thinking about grenades in underbarrel grenade launchers. Can you switch the time delay setting on grenades in your Grenade launcher through a smartlink? Whats the common setting most people put their grenades on? I typically put them on impact cuz every time i see a grenade thrown thats not gonna blow up for three seconds, someone feels the need to go pick it up and throw it back.

-UPTD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Oct 8 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,560

I would think you could change one as a simple action but I'm not 100%. Impact...I see his point. I suggest 3 second but TONS of suppressive fire. :S

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 8 2004, 05:48 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

that's not how grenades work. yes, you can set them for impact-detonation (in SR, at any rate), but you still have to arm them--usually by something very difficult to do by accident, such as pulling a pin out and releasing a spring-loaded mechanism. your grenades are not going to go off just because you get in a car wreck.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 8 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

mfb said it well.

SR3 mentions that you can set them from 2sec to 2mins, or to explode on impact. That means they need to be armed. I guess "explode on impact" would mean don't roll all ones. :evil:

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 8 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

With an SL2 system enabled GL you can have it set the minigrenade timer to detonate at a time after launch. That's why you can drastically lower the scatter.

It's a good question about whether or not "on impact" hand grenades get scatter. Frankly i think that "on impact" was a throwaway phrase because it doesn't talk about what kind of impact is required to set it off. Is hitting the surface of water enough to set it off? Because if not that grenade isn't going to detonate at all if it hits anything more than a few inches of water. Also how hard is it for the target to catch the damn thing and not have it detonate. Risky yes, but pray you never get into a grenade fight against an inside reciever. :love:

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 8 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
It's a good question about whether or not "on impact" hand grenades get scatter. Frankly i think that "on impact" was a throwaway phrase because it doesn't talk about what kind of impact is required to set it off. Is hitting the surface of water enough to set it off?

Oh good points! I hadn't really thought of that. Maybe I should forget the "on impact" business unless it's a grenade-launcher.

On the other hand, the scatter could be part of the contruct has to how innacurate your throw was.

Also how hard is it for the target to catch the damn thing and not have it detonate. Risky yes, but pray you never get into a grenade fight against an inside reciever.  :love:

:rollin:

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 8 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
On the other hand, the scatter could be part of the contruct has to how innacurate your throw was.

But 3d6 is pretty damn inaccurate, especially if you are only throwing it a few meters. I throw a defensive grenade 6m in front of me, rolling 3 successes. The scatter roll is an averagish roll of 12 (11.5 is average). 12-3=9m of scatter. I rolled 3 successes by managed to have my targeting so far off that while aiming 20 feet in front of me i managed to have it first hit something 10 feet behind me???

If you try say that it bounced a bit before that and that's just the first "impact" that set it off then where is the chance that it NEVER goes off on impact?

No, the "on impact" thing was just poorly thought out.

P.S. When launching from the GL with SL2 it is NOT the impact that sets the grenade off, it is still a timer set by the SL2 based on it's tragetory calculations based off of the extra [required] rangefinder. If it happens to hit a barrier that you didn't know about, or for some other reason gets massively deflected from it's original course it doesn't nessasarily go off "on impact". You also can have it blow up in mid-air if you aim for a mid-air target.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 8 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
But 3d6 is pretty damn inaccurate.
If you try say that it bounced a bit before that and that's just the first "impact" that set it off then where is the chance that it NEVER goes off on impact?

Yes, it implies that it's gonna bonuce and roll, quite the opposite of 'asplode-on-impact.

No, the "on impact" thing was just poorly thought out.

/agree 100%.

P.S. When launching from the GL with SL2 it is NOT the impact that sets the grenade off, it is still a timer set by the SL2 based on it's tragetory calculations based off of the extra [required] rangefinder.

Good arguement for me not allowing 'asplode-on-impact grenades.

+Quote Post
SimpleRunner
post Oct 8 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 5,043

The silly outcome to the Scatter rules is running up placing a grenade and then running away to avoid the chances of killing ones own self with a simple throw.

In retrospect in the Military I don't recall a single throw fromt he most amature of people throwing that could have bounced back towards the thrower to the degree the system allows.

Rant off.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 8 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

i do. mine. we were doing the throw-a-grenade-at-a-truck training at Ft Jackson, and i managed to bounce mine off a tree that was (not really anywhere close to being) between me and the truck. if i hadn't ducked, it'd have probably broken my nose.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 8 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #11

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

mfb, that sounds like a prime example of all 1's

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 8 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

well the aimed-at-my-schnozz part, yeah. but the random scatter, less so.

honestly, though, for 'throws' of less than 1m? like, into a window you're ducked beneath, or a doorway you're beside? just use the 'drop item' free action.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 8 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I was thinking about (Range Category)d6 scatter. Makes more sense to me. GLs, grenadelinks and all those things could use multipliers of that ((Range Category/2)d6, etc) or simple modifiers (-1, min 1d6, etc). Would that work?

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 8 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Not to make this more complicated, but you'd think the scatter distance would be strongly tied to how far (or hard) you threw the grenade, since it should land with roughly the same speed it left your hand with.

More umph could potentially = more scatter. Maybe +D3 per every 6m you are from your intended target?

So..

12m away you'd scatter 2D3 or 2-6m (4 on average)
30m away you'd scatter 5D3 or 5-15m (10 on average)
50m away you'd scatter 9D3 or 9-27 (18 on average).

Also allows for higher skiled throwers to be more accurate at longer distances that lesser skilled throwers (Skill=3, 6m max reduction; Skill=6, 12m max reduction):

12m throw where avg.scatter=4; 0m scatter for Throwing=3, and 0m for Throwing=6.
30m throw where avg.scatter=10; 4m scatter for Throwing=3, and 0m for Throwing=6.
50m throw where avg.scatter=18; 12m scatter for Throwing=3, and 6m for Throwing=6.

This idea doesn't account for "lobbing it short" so that it rolls or bounces to the target, but the current SR3 rules seem kina silly for a close throw.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 8 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I don't think of scatter as much in terms of bouncing as inaccuracy of all kinds. If you throw something far away, you're more likely to miss a lot. In part this is handled by the lower TN to hit (or to reduce scatter), but I feel it's not enough.

Although, reading through the rules for throwing grenades again, you never get more than 1d6 scatter for standard hand grenades. Which is fine, and doesn't need any additional reductions. Grenade Launchers might benefit from (Range Cat)d6 instead of 3d6, however. It's the grenade links and other such things that need work.

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 9 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,682

I hate the scatter rules, they're completely absurd... You're right, generally it is extremely difficult to make a grenade roll backwards, and most people who'll be tossing the buggers in shadowrun will know what they're doing.

IF I were to make up a system, it would be (1D6) - skill rating or so.... why? because at skill six, you're a "professional" at throwing grenades.

+Quote Post
Scarecrow237
post Oct 9 2004, 04:42 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 3,121

QUOTE (Zenmaxer)
I hate the scatter rules, they're completely absurd... You're right, generally it is extremely difficult to make a grenade roll backwards, and most people who'll be tossing the buggers in shadowrun will know what they're doing.

I've never played it like the grenade rolled backwards. I've always implied that there just wasn't enough oomph on the throw to get it as far as where you were aiming.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 9 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

or bouncing off a rock you didn't see, or hitting branches that knock it down, or...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.