IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fragging Drek, Do you actually bother with SR slang?
Do you and your players use SR slang instead of the real-world equivalents?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 125
Guests cannot vote 
mmu1
post Oct 10 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,058

In my experience so far, none of the people I play with really bother with any of that "chummer" "frag" and "drek" stuff, aside from some occasional pseudo-Shadownet posts... I happen to think that's a good thing, for the most part, but I was wondering how things look like in other games?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 10 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Well, we do occasionally sling "chummer", and "frag" and "drek" we tend to keep for those occasions where the sentiment needs to be expressed but without the full vehemence of the RL equivalent… I suppose you could say that I use them similarly to the way the Irish use "shite" and "feck".

Then again, you've probably noticed that ;)

~J

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Oct 10 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

In character, the group I'm with uses the slang. Out of character, we don't.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 10 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #4

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

I occasionally use them in real life. People just stare at me. Kind of funny, actually.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 10 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: I'm in Hell! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! (A.K.A Alabama)
Member No.: 6,739

Same here Tanka. I told a clerk to slot off once and he just gave me a blank stare. BUT IF YOU ARE A DREKING CLERK, LEARN WHAT FRAGGIN BUTTON DOES WHAT!

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 10 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #6

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

[offtopic]Wutasumi: Never, ever, ever tell me you yelled at a clerk. I work retail. That pisses me off to no end. Now, if he was being blatantly rude to you before you said a word, that's fine. However, if he just can't find a key, then maybe you shouldn't be such an asswipe.[/offtopic]

It's always fun to randomly spout SR slang at people. They just kind of stare at you and blink a few times.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 10 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

[offtopic] Tell you what, try to refrain from yelling when you get charged 1000$ for cigs, then be told it's your fault. You'd yell too, and tell him all sorts of stuff.{/offtopic]

Or wonder if you are high.

Also, does anyone else speak the language the PC is speaking in?

+Quote Post
Sepherim
post Oct 10 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,446

I don't use much of the slang because we play in spanish, so it sounds quite strange to say "Hola, chummers, ¿qué tal va todo?". :D Still, I do employ it on occassions, and surely would if we played in english.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Oct 10 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

What's really fun is to have a character that speaks using a mix of three or four languages in addition to the slang and speak like that to random people. The looks of utter confusion are worth it.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Oct 11 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,909

ALERT!!!!! THREAD HIJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Wutasumi)
[offtopic] Tell you what, try to refrain from yelling when you get charged 1000$ for cigs, then be told it's your fault. You'd yell too, and tell him all sorts of stuff.{/offtopic]

$1,000 for cigs? :eek:

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 11 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Yea, he pressed the wrong button and then tried to blame it on me.

IT TOOK 5 HOURS TO GET IT FIXED!

And that, is why I hate Marlboros.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Oct 11 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

I use some of them, don't use others. "Frag" and "drek" are pretty good, though they don't entirely prevent me from using the real-world words when I get sufficiently exercised. I don't use "frag" when I actually mean "have sexual intercourse with", either (I say "screw" if I don't feel like pulling out the big guns)... it's more of a general expletive. Things can be fragging stupid, or get fragged up, but I'd never say that the sammy was late to the meet because he was too busy fragging some hooker (and if someone did say that, I'd wonder why he felt the need to kill the hooker with "friendly fire"). And I never, ever, ever use "hoop", and I laugh at any alleged shadowrunner who does. You can say "ass" on prime-time TV. There's no particular reason for a game revolving around career criminals to censor it. And it sounds stupid, to boot.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Oct 11 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Actually, "hoop" has a possibly worse connotation than "ass" does. "Ass" refers to the entire thing, while "hoop" could only refer to the hole. It could also be a perversion of "hoolahoop" (sp?) in reference to jokes about how big the particular hole ends up after a stay in prison. No one said it is an attempt to censor anything. Considering what I have read in at least one book, my interpretation is probably far closer to reality than the idea of censoring it.

And before you laugh at them, keep in mind there is someone laughing at you for every internet abbreviation you use for being "too ignorant to use proper English and sounding stupid." To us, however, that slang sounds perfectly fine.

And, all of my checking says that "frag" does not mean the act of sexual intercourse. They use a different word for that.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 11 2004, 01:35 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Though there is the somewhat misleading term mother-fragger. Though is it ever actually used in a novel or book?

~J

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Oct 11 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Actually, yes, I think. However, these days it can be argued that phrase doesn't mean the literal translation. In fact, note the following definition from M-W Online Dictionary (with a certain word changed to frag):

Main Entry: moth·er·fragg·er
Pronunciation: 'm&-[th]&r-"frag-&r
Function: noun
usually obscene : one that is formidable, contemptible, or offensive -- usually used as a generalized term of abuse
- moth·er·fragg·ing  /-[ing]/ adjective, usually obscene

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Oct 11 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #16

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Slot-off is the greatest expression in shadowrun.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Oct 11 2004, 02:47 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

One of my all time favorite Shadowrun memories was when playing through the Harlequin adventure. There's a scenario that involves travelling to Germany. There, the character refers to the runners as chumlichen, instead of chummers. (In German, it'd be pronounced something along the lines of coom-leak-en.) He, of course, hadn't ever had any German, and just decided to pronounce using English phonetics.

So it came out as "Chum-Lickin". We've joked about the horny gay German troll ever since.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 11 2004, 04:43 AM
Post #18

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

I tend to use the sort of all-in-one cyberpunk slang lingo I've pulled from a dozen different sources, originally for a CP2020 game set in 2075. I mean, some of the SR slang is okay. Thinks like 'slot off', or 'geeked' or 'trog' - those are fine. But drek and chummer are the two that really, *really* get on my nerves, almost as much as 'choomba' from CP2020. Even if 'drek' is a real word, if you wanna swear, swear.
It tends to be polyglot, too, with an emphasis on Russian and Soviet slang. I'd toss in some Chinese, if I knew more than two words in Mandarin or Cantonese.

The end slang result tends to be something like this. Most of it is fairly self explanitory:

Massey: 'So this Veed rolls up on me while I'm walking, and downs the window. Turns out he's tryin' to bump the Vories for pimping in his turf - keeps quizzing me on if I know any of 'em, why I'm out so late, and so on.'
Pi: 'What happened? He try to get rough?'
Massey: 'Yeah, after I told him to stop jawin' at me. He gets all red in the face, tries to pop sights on me, wakarimasu ka? So what could I do but air him out? You rez how it gets out there.'

Veed: I decided this was Euro-war vet slang for VD, after the NKVD and its' successor the MVD. Basically any authority figure posessing means and wherewithal to detain or injure the populace. Cops, basically.
Bump: To rough up but not kill.
Vories: Slang for multiples of the Vory V Zakone.
Pop Sights: To draw and unsafety a weapon, usually with intent to fire. From the retinal sights that appear on a smartgun.
Wakarimasu ka: Japanese for 'You understand?' Technically, since Massey and Pi are friends, 'Wakkaru ka' or 'wakkata ne' would be more likely ('Do you understand?' and 'You understood that, right?' respecively), but I decided wakarimasu ka just rolled off the tongue a bit better.
Air Out: To perforate an animate object, usually a person, usually with lead. Shamelessly lifted from Blade Runner.
Rez: To be intimately familiar with. To know the 'resolution' - aspects and proportions - of a thing.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 11 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I occaisionally use "frag" or "drek" only when usuing stronger language would be just a waste of energy. I also use "Smeg".

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 11 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Mother-fragging hoop-kissing drek-eating son-of-a-slitch.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Oct 11 2004, 05:28 AM
Post #21

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Tell that Mother-fragging hoop-kissing drek-eating son-of-a-slitch to slot off!

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 11 2004, 05:30 AM
Post #22

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Tell that Mother-fragging hoop-kissing drek-eating son-of-a-slitch to slot off!

:eek: :rotfl: Applause.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Oct 11 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #23

Guests

Fuck no.

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Oct 11 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

Sorry, omae, but since we play in French, this fraggin'drek has never been brought up on at the gaming table...but my maternal language being French, it's got quite an "exotic flavor" when I read SR fluff and novels which may actually seem a bit stupid to you English-speaking trogs, dandelion-eaters, halfers and tuskers out there...
I tend to agree with one of the posts which said that a little bit more Chinese or Russian (don't you think, priyatel?) should appear in streetspeak...and to be even more logical, how come there's no Salish, Haida, Tlingit, Kwakiutl, lakota, Hopi and other Native American words and expression in Shadowrun linguo? With half of North America being Native, it seems there should be a heavier influence on 2060s English, neh?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 11 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Ombre)
With half of North America being Native, it seems there should be a heavier influence on 2060s English, neh?

Not when most of the time has been a (mostly) voluntary segregation. The NANers made a big deal about getting back to "Their Land" and getting everyone else off of it. Most of the others fled as the NANs became inevitable. It is relatively recent in the SR timeline that groups are starting to take vacations on the other side of this wall or even move there.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.