Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Idol Shamans, The nitty-gritty for non-animal shamans
trogdu
post Oct 11 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,424

I’m making a character for a new game and have decided on a Bacchus Shaman. I started to come up with the details and hence started thinking about the shamanic mask but drew a total blank. On thinking about it I realised that I’ve never been involved in a game with someone playing a shaman following other than an animal totem.

Thus I come here looking for suggestions as to what others think the shamanic masks would look like for the Idols. And while we’re at it what else have people come up with to fit in with an Idol shaman concept? You know, such things as what the spirits look like, fetishes, casting methodologies, lodges etc. Anything that might serve to inspire me in coming up with these sort of details for my character is welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Oct 11 2004, 02:40 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Regardless of precisely how a Bacchus shaman looks, here is some inspiration for their behavior.

In some ways the characterization is more important than the totem for designing IC descriptions. For example, Belmont, my wild huntsman shaman has a spooky, cobweb-filled, organ-music-playing lodge to fit with his evil para-creature-hunting mentality.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 11 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 185

There is some material on Idol followers of the Neo-Classical and Norse varieties in the new SOTA64, including some roleplaying guidelines. The thing to remember is that while the player refers to it as an Idol, the character believes in the archetypical diety that it represents (in this case Bacchus, Dionysis, Pan to name just the Classical ones - others include the Celtic, Native American and the Norse). Sorting out which mythological tradition you are drawing on for the actual diety, you can find references of relevant symbolism, magic sites, rituals and instruments.

Regarding the Shamanic Mask I'm with RangerJoe views regarding IC characterization, in that it can be something evocative of the diety and possibly not necessarily visual (lightning flashing when you call down Thor's ire or the sound of a wave crashing when evoking Poseidon can be cool). Assuming you're wanting to play a follower of Bacchus/Dionysis some of the more obvious possibilities are intoxicating smells (strong perfumes or wines ), enchanting music (flute, lute and pan pipes are particularly assoicated with the Classic God) and flashes of strong hedonistic emotions (desire, enebriation, pleasure).

Regarding spirits, Neo-Classical magicians would be seeing nature spirits as nymphs, sylphs, dryads and other spirits of nature from classical mythology. In the case of a (true) male Bacchus follower scantily clad female figures such as these seem particularly appropriate.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 11 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Same for a female follower :P

~J

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Oct 11 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Upon further reflection, the Bacchus shaman would gain mucho classiness points for having a bathtub filled with champagne in his "lodge."

+Quote Post
Bane
post Oct 11 2004, 02:39 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,654

QUOTE (RangerJoe)
Upon further reflection, the Bacchus shaman would gain mucho classiness points for having a bathtub filled with champagne in his love shack.

8)

Anyway, I agree with what's been said thus far. Read as much information about him as you can, and then try to loosely model IC behavior around that. Some quick googling yielded this, but I'm sure there's plenty more out there.

IIRC Dionysus was also responsible for Midas' (in?)famous golden touch.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 11 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Remember that the idols are mythological archetypes, so a character with such a Totem does not necesarily have to be a neo-pagan. A Dragonslayer shaman could simply be someone with weird dreams, who fights corporate corruption and parties hard afterwards, or a Catholic who prays to Saint George, and so on. Even if you go the neo-pagan route, there is still a lot of variety. Sky Father could be Zeus or Odin, for example.

For Totem effects, they would probably resemble aspects of the Totem. For a Bacchus shaman, he might look wilder or more feral, or have a shimmering halo of moonlight around him, or have glowing leaves wreath around him, or have his eyes take on an amber light. A Bacchus shaman from the Seattle Sprawl with no knowledge of classical Greek mythology might manifest his shamanic mask much differently - a halo of glitter, a shimmering neon glow to his eyes, etc. The same thing for spirits. They could look like mythological nymphs, or like slightly unearthly club habitue'.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 11 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Same for a female follower :P

~J

Very true... hadn't thought of it that way. ;)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 11 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

A Bacchus shaman from the Seattle Sprawl with no knowledge of classical Greek mythology might manifest his shamanic mask much differently - a halo of glitter, a shimmering neon glow to his eyes, etc. The same thing for spirits. They could look like mythological nymphs, or like slightly unearthly club habitue'.

One thing to remember is that the Idol approches the shaman, it speaks to him or her. It's not werid dreams, but a communitcation, a spirit quest. Whether the Idol appears to the shaman as a classical Greek god or as a modern equivilant, it will be a real connection, a bonding.

Idol Mask topic

+Quote Post
trogdu
post Oct 11 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 1,424

Thanks all, this has all provided lots in the way of inspiration for me - as well as managing to help me see why I was having trouble with the Idol shamans conceptually.

Having been away from Dumpshock (and Shadowrun) for a while its good to see that this place is still going as strong and is as helpful as ever.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.