Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help from gun experts, Help me identify a gun
Enigma
post Oct 15 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,812

Hi all. I was hoping someone who knows more than me about guns could identify the assault rifles that the humans are running around with in the movie Alien vs Predator. In particular, I'm talking about the gun that the tall black guy, who was also in a James Bond movie and the first Resident Evil movie, produces when things go nasty. Any and all help appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Oct 15 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

I looked at a couple trailers, and it appears to be a G-36. Right now, that's the standard Hollywood "futuristic" gun.

Here's some info on the actual G-36, and a link to Raygun's SR version (be sure to note all the rule changes in his system if you plan on using it).

edit: Actually, the forearm looks way too short, but the carrying handle is too high for a G-36C. I'm going to go with G-36K (K for the German word for short). On Raygun's G-36 page is a link to a picture of the G-36K. Also, the 4th and 5th images from bottom on HKPRO's site show the G-36K.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the assault rifle is the M-41A pulse rifle. it fires 10mm rounds (!?) and has an underbarrel 30mm grenade launcher.

found this USCM Weapons page on google. probably has what you're looking for.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Oct 15 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

He means Aliens vs. Predator, the movie set around our time.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Oct 15 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 15 2004, 05:22 PM)
the assault rifle is the M-41A pulse rifle. it fires 10mm rounds (!?) and has an underbarrel 30mm grenade launcher.

found this USCM Weapons page on google. probably has what you're looking for.

Which is a vis-mod of a Thompson SMG with an underslung cut down pump-action shotgun and the foregrip from a SPAS shotgun as the granade launcher, and isn't the gun he was asking about. ;)

It's funny how the "cool" guns change from decade to decade... For a while, it used to be all about the Steyer AUG and HK MP5, not it's the FN P90 and the G36...

BTW, the gun in the trailer looks like the HK G36C or K - either the compact or carbine version, it's hard to tell, the shot is dark and the flashlight mounted on it gets in the way.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

oops.

+Quote Post
Everfast
post Oct 15 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 6,766

The Ares Alpha from FoF is almost a direct rip-off of the original pulse-rifle from Aliens. Throw on a range-finder, grenade link, and air-bust grenades and you're ready to rock!

+Quote Post
Enigma
post Oct 15 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Many thanks for your replies, but isn't the gun in the movie a shorter version? It looks like a short barrelled or carbine version of the G36, if there is such a thing. Does anyone have any pictures of a short-barrelled G36, unless I'm on drugs.

While I've got you all here, what's the gun that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence use in Bad Boys 2 in the scene up to and during the highway chase scene (the one Martin Lawrence shoots the dashboard with), which I think is the same type of gun that the evil twin thing uses in Matrix Reloaded to shoot from the top of the four-wheel drive when they're chasing Trinity, the Keymaker and Morpheus. Does anyone have any idea what calibre this gun is, and any picture links?

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Oct 15 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Enigma @ Oct 15 2004, 06:03 PM)
Many thanks for your replies, but isn't the gun in the movie a shorter version?  It looks like a short barrelled or carbine version of the G36, if there is such a thing.  Does anyone have any pictures of a short-barrelled G36, unless I'm on drugs.

While I've got you all here, what's the gun that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence use in Bad Boys 2 in the scene up to and during the highway chase scene (the one Martin Lawrence shoots the dashboard with), which I think is the same type of gun that the evil twin thing uses in Matrix Reloaded to shoot from the top of the four-wheel drive when they're chasing Trinity, the Keymaker and Morpheus.  Does anyone have any idea what calibre this gun is, and any picture links?

Check out for example http://www.world.guns.ru/assault/as14-e.htm for pictures of the C and K versions of the G36.

I haven't seen Bad Boys II, but the Matrix "evil twin" gun I believe was a HK UMP 45 - a .45 cal submachine gun. The one in the movie has some sort of holo-point type sight on it, I think. http://www.hkpro.com/ump.htm

+Quote Post
Enigma
post Oct 15 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Many thanks - and mate, you've got to see Bad Boys 2. Many game hooks, much cool stuff and possibly the coolest highway chase scene of any movie anywhere.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 15 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Surprising lack of anything to do with Shadowrun in this thread...

Is there actually anything in the Ghoul/Evil Twin UMP to point at the caliber of it? It's an UMP with a holographic sight, that's for sure, but I certainly couldn't see any hints as to the caliber of it.

There do not seem to be any versions of the ultra-short G36C with the carrying handle/dual scope mount, so it's most likely the G36K. The G36 is indeed the standard modern/sci-fi AR in Hollywood today.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Oct 15 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #12

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Trust me, it's out there I can't recall where I saw it though...maybe security arms?

The UMP is a .45

I wish there were more FAMAS g2's in hollywood.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Oct 15 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Is there actually anything in the Ghoul/Evil Twin UMP to point at the caliber of it? It's an UMP with a holographic sight, that's for sure, but I certainly couldn't see any hints as to the caliber of it.

Did it have a straight magazine or a curved one? The .45 is straight, the 9mm is curved. I think it was the .45, but I'm not 100% sure.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 16 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Dude, if I were a powerful and intimidating Matrix presence, I'd either use martial arts or a .45. Not a 50 AE deagle, because those are cliche and overdone. Not 9mm because that would be anticlimactic. But an SMG loaded with .45 would have the perfect level of machoness to it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 16 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

If this picture is faithful to the movie, it's straight and thus .45.

If I were a Matrix badass, I'd have the Quake II BFG because there's no good explanation as to why I couldn't.

~J

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 16 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

It could be .40S&W. The .45ACP and .45S&W UMPs use straight mags. Of course, considering it fired nigh 400 rounds without ever being reloaded, I'm not sure this line of discussion matters worth a damn, but...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 16 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Indeed the 9x19mm UMP uses curved magazines, but the .40S&W doesn't. So, unless someone can conjure up something else, there's no telling which it is.

If I were a powerful and intimidating Matrix presence, I'd use 12.7mm minigun.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 16 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Hasaku)
He means Aliens vs. Predator, the movie set around our time.

OOOOH, he's the person who saw it. :D

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Oct 16 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #19

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

From what I can see in the trailers (and other videos on the AVP offical site), the rifle looks like a G36C (9" barrel) with the standard G36 carry handle/export sight attached (red dot only; the rifles are modular, you can do that), plus a bunch of lights and lasers and doodads attached to M1913 fore-end mounts to make it look extra-cool. Hell, they're likely models.

I'm about 90% sure the UMPs in Matrix Reloaded were .45s. There are a couple of down-the-bore shots in the movie, and IIRC, it's a big bore you're looking down. And they did have either ATN or OKO reflex sights attached.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Oct 16 2004, 08:36 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Raygun)
the standard G36 carry handle/export sight attached (red dot only; the rifles are modular, you can do that)

The export sight (only the lower one) is the magnifying scope.
The red-dot optic is the upper part of the Bundeswehr-style double optics.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Oct 18 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #21

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

It's a magnifying scope. 1.5x as opposed to the Bundeswehr's 3.5x scope. For some reason I thought it was a red dot as well, but I guess it isn't.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 03:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.