Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting bhp and torque to in-game stats
Hero
post Oct 19 2004, 02:22 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,996

I have started a SR game with a modern setting with a focus on illegal street racing and other such activities. I have come to a little problem though, converting real world stats to in game stats like bhp and torque to speed and acceleration. Right now I am using the maximum horse power as the meters per round and torque divided by 10 for acceleration per round. But this is not working out to well, as a upped Honda Civic Type-R with 342bhp and 300lb-ft of torque can only hit 157mph, while a bone stock Honda NSX Type-R can with 279bhp and 241lb-ft of torque can hit 179mph. And I am a loss of idea on how to correct this. Any suggestions would help out greatly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 19 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Make it up. Don't base speed and accelleration in-game on anything that exists in the real world. Instead, use the Rectal Extraction Method ™ to put things together in game in a way that works best for you and your game.

Edit: YMMV (pun intended :D )

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 19 2004, 03:27 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I recommend you cheat.

Chose a couple of base cars and give them arbitrary numbers. Then every time you want another car in the game use the others as a guideline for where to place it.

I am not a very car person myself but I understood many veicles where relesed to the market with listings of time to get to 60MPH and maximum speed on level ground. Those would probably be a better please to start, just assume a good driver was behind the weal to get some successes when they did the test-drive.

Edward

+Quote Post
SirKodiak
post Oct 19 2004, 04:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,298

I am not a very car person myself but I understood many veicles where relesed to the market with listings of time to get to 60MPH and maximum speed on level ground. Those would probably be a better please to start, just assume a good driver was behind the weal to get some successes when they did the test-drive.

Yes, zero-to-sixty time and quarter-mile time are better places to build stats off of. The way I handled it was to pick a few real-world bikes to correspond to book bikes (I was doing motorcycles, you could just as easily do this for cars), and then when I wanted to add a new real-world bike I would compare it to my standard real-world bikes, and scale the book bikes accordingly.

IE, making it "realistic" when you convert a Toyota Camry or a Saab 900 into Shadowrun isn't going to scale well. Just make sure that if a bike/car is better in the real world, it's also better in the game.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 19 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Good suggestions so far. Don't even try to base those game system attributes on exact RL figures. It just won't work, like basing SR Damage Code on muzzle velocity, bullet weight and caliber.

If you want to insert RL cars into SR, remember that the cars of the 2060s are bound to be better than the cars we have now. So make sure that most of the sports car around now don't come close to matching something like the Ferrari Open Wheel Racer, etc.

+Quote Post
Hero
post Oct 19 2004, 05:54 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

The 0-60mph and 0-60ft times are another problem in them selves, as the car manufactures only have their current vhicles, and 3rd party sites are questionable.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 19 2004, 06:12 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

If you didn't know, MPH is the meters/turn * 0.75

So, if you divide the top speed of the car by that, you get its meters per combat turn. As for acceleration, go off the 0-60mph tests, divide it into a 3 second chunk, figure out how much it accelerated in that time, say divide that by 3, and you now have your acceleration time (based on getting 3 successes for the test).

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 19 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Working acceleration like that gives whacky results for several reasons. For one, that's the calculated absolute minimum time it takes to get to 60mph. You should be incapable of beating that even if you had an Init of 50 and 30 dice to roll on the tests. That cannot happen in SR.

Dividing the figures you get from 0-60mph by three does give you rather valid numbers to compare to those you already have in SR. It breaks down at the top-end, because a modern Formula 1 could easily have an Acc rating of 28 (0-100km/h in 3 seconds), while quickest accelerating canon car is at only 21. Looking at the Acceleration ratings of the canon Sedans, maybe assuming 5 successes would work better. That brings a Formula 1 down to 17 and most current sedans into the 5-8 range. Seems semi-reasonable.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 19 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #9

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Torque equals Force times Distance. Force equals acceleration times mass.

Torque divided by (mass times distance) equals acceleration, I think.

I recomend converthing everything to metric before making the calculations.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 19 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #10

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

The problem with Shadowrun is that they don't even use real metric. Some of the weights they have (might be "had" now) are better expressed in pounds than kg, even though they have the kg tag at the end.

+Quote Post
Hero
post Oct 20 2004, 06:25 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Used advice Tarantula gave and it works out pretty well, thanks for the tip. Now I have to find the stats times of some of the older model cars, and very few 3rd party site have complete data on most cars in there databases, most are missing the 0-60mph times and other relative information I need.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.