Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question on movement
DarkShade
post Oct 21 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,700

I have a question on movement, and initiative.
say you roll initiative 23, have a quickness of 9, a max run of x3, no athletics skill.
you can then run 27 m in one full turn.

you have only a sword and an enemy with a gun sitting 26 m from you, he rolls initiative 12.

will he be able to shoot you before you slice into him?

canon seems to imply that you move the 27 m over the entire combat turn so you will reach the 27 m mark at initiative 0 when the round ends, <meaning in this situation the guy would shoot you once perhaps twice before you got there>
If you just use actions the situation becomes difficult to visualize.. ie in 23 you run 26 m to the enemy then in 13 you chop him up before he can shoot.. but then why cant you keep moving in 13 and in 3?
in games where I have played we have always assumed an initiative drop by movement "getting there takes time" but I would like to know if there is a better way to handle this..

DS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 21 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

My understanding is that you divide the meters to be covered by the total number of passes to be had.
As the moving characters turn comes up, they have moved that divided amount, therefore by the end of the rounf (init 0) they have moved the distance.
23 init = 3 passes
27/3=9 m per pass for moving character
27 = move 9 meters (15 meters to target)
12 = Shoot twice (2 simple actions)
17 = move 9 meters (6 meters to target)
2 = Shoot twice (2 simple actions)
7 = Target reached, melee ensues

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Oct 21 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Actually, melee can ensue on Initiative 7, before the guy with the gun gets his second set of shots off. Delay Action is your friend. :)

[edit]
And note that movement is divided among total passes in the Combat Turn, not just for that character's passes. Pistol guy could start moving away from sword dude as soon as he sees him start to advance.
[/edit]

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 21 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #4

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

QUOTE (TheScamp)
Actually, melee can ensue on Initiative 7, before the guy with the gun gets his second set of shots off. Delay Action is your friend.
I disagree with you.
1st pass: 27 and 12, finish pass 15m apart, one set of shots have hit.
2nd pass: 17 and 2, finish pass 6m apart, a second set of shots have hit.
3rd pass: 7 - finish run and take your attack

I don't see how Delay Action helps in this situation.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 21 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

IIRC you have to declare your movement before the first pass, so realistically, yes, you could begin to back pedal, however the rules might state otherwise (don't have my books in front of me)

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 21 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #6

Senior GM

QUOTE (Movement @ SR3.108)
Characters can begin the turn stationary and declare their movement during any subsequent Combat Phase.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 21 2004, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

Thanks, will notate that in memory

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Oct 21 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

This came up in one of the few games I've run, with one player pretty unhappy about it.

My off-the-cuff response was to let him give up his 2nd and 3rd initiative passes in order to be able to get all his movement done in one pass, just like someone with a lower initiative.

I'm not really happy with it as a long-term solution, but at least it takes care of those situations where you're (for example) trying to get to a hostage before your enemy does, run over and cut the wire before someone hits the detonator switch, be the first through the door, etc, so moving according to your higher initiative is more important than getting additional initiative passes.

Another thing I don't like is the fact that (as I understand it) if someone with three initiative passes engages someone with one initiative pass in melee combat, the guy with worse initiative gets more chances to hurt the quick guy... I think in cases like this, the guy with higher Init should get a TN modifer per every extra initiative pass he has over his opponent.

+Quote Post
twofalls
post Oct 21 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,723

Yeah, this mechanic is clumsy. Trying to work out the speeds of multiple combatants in a melee/fire fight and then spread their movement over x number of passes is more trouble than its worth. I sacrifice trying to stage it all for simplicity. On any action phase, a given participant may move any % of his entire movement and is then done moving for the balance of the combat turn. Its not realistic, but its much more simple to keep track of.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Oct 21 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

QUOTE (TheScamp)
[edit]
And note that movement is divided among total passes in the Combat Turn, not just for that character's passes. Pistol guy could start moving away from sword dude as soon as he sees him start to advance.
[/edit]

If the shooter starts moving at max speed (ie, Running), then he takes a +4 TN. Melee, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have that handicap. Even if the shooter just walks (say, half his Quick), he's still going to take a +1 TN.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 21 2004, 05:10 PM
Post #11

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

In actuallity, using the advanced melee rules from CC, there's a charging attack that makes it harder to hit but more powerful if you do. Melee can get benefits to running at your opponent.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 21 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #12

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

EDIT: Double post.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 21 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (OurTeam)
QUOTE (TheScamp)
Actually, melee can ensue on Initiative 7, before the guy with the gun gets his second set of shots off. Delay Action is your friend.
I disagree with you.
1st pass: 27 and 12, finish pass 15m apart, one set of shots have hit.
2nd pass: 17 and 2, finish pass 6m apart, a second set of shots have hit.
3rd pass: 7 - finish run and take your attack

I don't see how Delay Action helps in this situation.

This is not right anyway, as you can only hold an action moving half your quickness or slower, and you lose it if you use any dice pools.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 22 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #14

Senior GM

QUOTE (mmu1)
My off-the-cuff response was to let him give up his 2nd and 3rd initiative passes in order to be able to get all his movement done in one pass, just like someone with a lower initiative.
Someone with low initiative doesn't do all their movement in one pass. It is spread out over all the passes, just like for people with high initiative. They just take their movement at the end of the pass, after all characters that take actions that pass are done. (SR3.108, top right corner).

QUOTE (LinaInverse)
Melee, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have {a penalty for movement}.
Melee attacks have a penalty for movement. It's just not listed in the Melee Modifiers Table (SR3.123). But then, there are a lot of modifiers not listed in that table (e.g. sustaining a spell or using astral perception). The modifiers for movement are listed on page 108, under Walking and Running, and affect almost all skill tests taken during the Combat Turn.

BitBasher, we also play that you can only move at half a walk and still delay an action. Do you know any place where that's in the rules?

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Oct 22 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (OurTeam)
BitBasher, we also play that you can only move at half a walk and still delay an action. Do you know any place where that's in the rules?

I just read it for the first time tonight, in Fields of Fire. I haven't seen it in any 3rd Edition books.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.