IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tracking Mounts, Might sound stupid but...
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,768

OK, so in MaM they give the option of tracking mounts. They say it needs to be hooked up to a target designator system. Now comes the question...were and what are the target designator systems?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

bump. :)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 25 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Check Cannon Companion.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Thanks, I will check there. Have not had much time to read that one yet, but I do have it. So the rules for this Tracking designation system are in there?

Thanks again for the help.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 25 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, the rules for target designators are. i'd have to sit down and look up how to use them together.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 25 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #6

Ain Soph Aur

Yeah, I recently had to read them for an upcoming mission. They seemed pretty functionnal.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 08:04 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

OK, I used my lunch and looked through CC and could not find them, do you know what page they are on? I was assuming they could be hooked up to a cyber eye and they would point were you look, but need some hard numbers. I have a crazy troll who wants to have 4 cyber limbs and a gun on a tracking mount in each...

Nelsen

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 25 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

They're called Designators. There's laser, microwave and another one I forget. You can have laser designators in cybereyes. The rules appear under Indirect Fire with the rest of the rules near he end (right after Parachuting if memory serves). That's all I can give you without my books.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

You Kick @$$, thanks a lot. It was right there near the Parachuting rules. Thanks for the help. Just drives me nuts when the book talks about something and then I can not find the rest of the data to make it work.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Oct 25 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Screw the Tracking mounts, just use fixed mounts that don't require a designator. If it's on an arm you can aim it with the arm with no penalty anyway.

+Quote Post
Blaze
post Oct 26 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 1,321

I once had an Ork NPC with a shoulder tracking mount and eye designator, the system fitted with a gyropistol (seeker-plus rockets too). However, I thought the ruthenium dermal sheath and the forearm snap blade was pushing it just a little... ;)

-JH.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 26 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

OK, so I got the basics on the tracking mounts. I really like fixed mounts myself, but listen to what this player is trying to do and some one please tell me how I should handle this. LOL

He is getting two cyber legs and two cyber arms. He is getting pop out mounts in the arms and tracking mounts in the legs. He then wants to take ambidextreus and fire 6...yes six, guns at once. Can this be done? How would I handle this system wise?

I would like to tell him "NO" but its like his third game and I figured I should give him a little creative play.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 26 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Sure , why not? But remind him that Ambidex only works for 2 weapons only. It doesn't work for more than 2 hands. He should get the message.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 26 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I really really hope hes a big metahuman, and that the guns aren't bigger than a heavy pistol... Can you imagine a gnome trying to withstand the recoil of say, 6 burst shotguns? Yeach!

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 26 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #15

Ain Soph Aur

QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
OK, so I got the basics on the tracking mounts. I really like fixed mounts myself, but listen to what this player is trying to do and some one please tell me how I should handle this. LOL

He is getting two cyber legs and two cyber arms. He is getting pop out mounts in the arms and tracking mounts in the legs. He then wants to take ambidextreus and fire 6...yes six, guns at once. Can this be done? How would I handle this system wise?

I would like to tell him "NO" but its like his third game and I figured I should give him a little creative play.

What the hell is the point of doing that?
A) ADD all recoil of every gun. Apply modifier to every gun.
B) The need, or ability, to fire at 4 seperate targets is not going to arise very often. Besides, you need to be just *standing* there in order to fire all guns. You also need 2 teammates spotting for your legs. Also, the situation where you'd have 4 targets (1 per leg, 1 per arm = 4) open to fire from the single angle of where the cyber freak is standing isn't going to happen very often.
D) Can you say Social Modifier?

It's doable, I just don't see it making a viable or useful character. If you need to be shooting that many bullets, I think you're fucked anyway. Just get a minigun or something.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 26 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8 @ Oct 26 2004, 11:26 AM)

What the hell is the point of doing that?
A) ADD all recoil of every gun. Apply modifier to every gun.
B) The need, or ability, to fire at 4 seperate targets is not going to arise very often. Besides, you need to be just *standing* there in order to fire all guns. You also need 2 teammates spotting for your legs. Also, the situation where you'd have 4 targets (1 per leg, 1 per arm = 4) open to fire from the single angle of where the cyber freak is standing isn't going to happen very often.
D) Can you say Social Modifier?

It's doable, I just don't see it making a viable or useful character. If you need to be shooting that many bullets, I think you're fucked anyway. Just get a minigun or something.

I think his point was to fire all 6 at one, by getting his own spotting laser as something like an eye implant, thus the legs shoot where hes looking, and hes likely looking where he is aiming the rest of his guns.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 26 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Unless you were using multiple designators, they’d all be firing at one target.

~J

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 26 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

That was the plan, he wants to fire all 6 guns at one target. Yes he is a troll. Yes he is going to make sure every point of recoil and covered. Yes...He named his charecter "Over Kill"....

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 26 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #19

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

A character like this would be great for surpressive fire, neh? Just turn on all the guns and "wiggle".

So, ummmm, is there any canon reason not to allow this munchfest to continue?

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 26 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Well..He can do it, its just how the hell would I handle it with game mech. Does each gun fire sepretly? Does each weapon get a off hand penalty? Do all the weapons fire together and I only roll once?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 26 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #21

If they're all firing on the same target designator, just treat it as a burst. A very, very big burst. Six guns firing a three round burst should work out pretty similar to an 18 round blast of autofire.
But if you're talking about a gun in his left hand, a gun in his right hand, and an eye designator that targets the remaining four guns, then you're talking about three sets of independent targeting, and you've gone past the scope of ambidexterity. Maybe make him take ambidexterity, but then add an additional -2 on to all three targeting tests to represent a third targeting mechanism.
Maybe as a more rule friendly version that accomplishes the same thing: put guns on his legs, arms, and shoulders, and have a laser designator in each hand. Use the laser designators like pistols, using full ambidexterity rules, and each side is keyed to the three guns on that side, for more very big bursts.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 26 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

I like that last idea. We can take it one step further and mount the lazers on guns in his hands!!!. Muhahah. LOL.

I will do this, treat it as large burst fire and just do half and half.

Now for another question, how much movment do you think the tracking mounts can compensate for? Would the charector have to stand still? Could he walk? Could he run?

Oh, you could fit a tiffiany defender in a pop out mount in your cyber skull. :) LOL

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 26 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #23

Definitely make him stand still for this little stunt. Stand still, no cover (which would obviously block some of his guns, somewhere) If for no other reason than for pure game balance. The rationale for this ruling is that the tracking mounts can't keep up with dodging & stuff.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Oct 26 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

No running and shooting definately, unless its running, aiming, firing, eating tarmac.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 26 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #25

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

He should probably also get the foot anchors.
And personally, I'd limit the armor types he can wear and have that function, or at least require heavy modification.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.