Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer Editable Character Sheets, Desperately Seeking
Sorcerer
post Oct 25 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,790

Hello chummers. I have been out of the game for awhile, finishing up college. Now that my studies are behind me I am diving head first back into running. There was a time when I had several different Shadowrun character sheets that were editable in Microsoft Word or PDF. I am looking for a sheet that I can type in my abilities, skills, attributes, contacts, and other goodies.

Anyone know of any?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,768

God, I wish!!!

I will check back on this post for the answer some nice person will leave.

Bump

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 25 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

In the words of Adam, "bumps suck. Please refrain."

Generally, it takes a day or two before a post is far down enough for a bump to be warranted, anyway.

~J

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

:( Sorry...Did not know.

Who is Adam?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 25 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Well, I have some basic Excel sheets I use. Just a basic layout for stuff, no automatic fields or anything. They're hardly anything exciting. If you don't find anything else you can PM me with your email and I'll send them to you.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 25 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Try these MS Word format, and HTML format. There are 16 in the HTML format, with slightly different arrangements of the boxes. For the HTML format, if you copy it to your system you'll need these extra files to make it display correctly. See the readme.txt file inside the .zip file for information.

Edit: combined multiple files into one ZIP file, to make it simpler for YOU.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 25 2004, 09:36 PM
Post #7

Senior GM

Kagetenshi, stop picking on the newbies. I know it's fun. ;) But he doesn't know any better. (Ahhh, but it is sure fun to pick on an old member! You are 4 months older than me.)

Gaias, a "bump" is a post you add to a long-forgotten topic, in order to bring it back in front of 100s of people and make it no longer forgotten. The problem with it is that it takes up time of 100s of people on a topic that they might feel is best left forgotten. Kagetenshi should be ashamed of himself for picking on a member who's been here only 7 days and may think "bump" means "I agree". (The symbols semi-colon right-parenthesis gives a ;) icon which means the comment is mostly in fun.) Welcome to these boards :wavey:.

Adam is one of the administrators of these forums, who helps guide us on our Etiquette (Internet Forums) skill.

+Quote Post
Sorcerer
post Oct 25 2004, 09:36 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,790

Awesome HTML Sheet OurTeam. Since I am a layman, how would I go about editing/posting one of those on my website?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 25 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Wasn't trying to be mean, but it was the second rather rapid bump I'd seen and I wanted to indicate that we actually manage to dredge up long-dead topics frequently as opposed to losing track of posts that aren't even halfway down the first page yet (not that posts don't get lost, but we're less likely to lose them :) )

~J

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 25 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #10

Senior GM

Sorcerer, you need an HTML editor. There are many available, and many that I think aren't worth a postage stamp. I don't recommend to new people what I use (an editor that is part of a source-code development environment) and haven't checked into what's good for beginners.

Then you place the edited HTM file, along with the CSS file and two GIF images, into a directory on your website.

For anyone who wants it, here is the XSL file which I currently use to do most of the work of converting a .SR3 file (using NSRCG) into an HTML file. You need to be proficient with NSRCG to use it. (My web server, blast its soul, is case sensitive in URLs. My apologies.)

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 25 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #11

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

HTML editor? You mean like... Notepad?

Sorry, I swear by that little program...

For truly easy-to-edit sheets, grab a pencil and paper. On the PC, you'll be lucky, as HTML, unless you know it, is a bit hard to filter through by itself.

Now, what would be interesting is something like a user profile page where you can store characters and edit them as you see fit... If I knew the code to do it, I'd've done it already.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 25 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

For what it's worth, my personal preference is a RTF document in TextEdit. I can post the format I use, if anyone wants.

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Oct 25 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

One of these days, If I find myself feeling particularly sassy, I might just go ahead and create an editable pdf version of the standard character sheet. If so, I'll post that here.

...Unless that would be a violation of copyright law, since I suppose I would be distributing an altered version of the character sheet, which I have not been granted permission to do. Anyone know enough about copyright stuff to comment about that?

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

OurTeam, thanks and I understand now. I did not know the rules for this board and I will abid by them from now on. :) Thanks for the further edification.

Also these sheets are cool, thanks again. :)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 25 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
...Unless that would be a violation of copyright law, since I suppose I would be distributing an altered version of the character sheet, which I have not been granted permission to do. Anyone know enough about copyright stuff to comment about that?

Legally, you don't have permission to distribute the sheet at all - altered or not. FanPro does, and you have permission to make copies for personal use only.

However, if you're willing to take the time to turn the standard FanPro sheets into sheets with PDF forms, FanPro will host them, giving you full credit.

[Making the sheets editable falls somewhere in the triple-digits on my TODO list. . . ;-) ]

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 26 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #16

Senior GM

Here is a discussion from 363 days ago Digital Character Sheets. (Gosh, it seems like last month.) There are good ideas there too.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Oct 26 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

When I first scanned the title to this topic I read, "Computer Edible Character Sheets" and thought about all the characters I worked so hard to write up that disappeared when I tried to find them later. :facelick:

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Oct 26 2004, 04:16 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (Adam)
Legally, you don't have permission to distribute the sheet at all - altered or not. FanPro does, and you have permission to make copies for personal use only.

Really? So, technically, I can not legally make, say, 10 copies of the character sheet, and then hand a group of players 2 copies each? Legally, those players would have to either make the copies or download the sheets themselves directly from FanPro?

However, if you're willing to take the time to turn the standard FanPro sheets into sheets with PDF forms, FanPro will host them, giving you full credit.

Cool. I honestly don't care about getting credit for the work - its just that if I am going to go through the effort of making those forms, I would want other people to be able to use them, too.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 26 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Really? So, technically, I can not legally make, say, 10 copies of the character sheet, and then hand a group of players 2 copies each? Legally, those players would have to either make the copies or download the sheets themselves directly from FanPro?

That's just the normal character sheets, and is not taking the Shadowrun Character Dossier into account. Nobody has permission to reproduce the Dossier, even for personal use (IIRC).

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 26 2004, 05:26 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems pretty clear cut to me: "Personal use only." It doesn't mention distribution at all.

But, frankly, it's not worth anyone worrying about. Distribution of character sheets within your own gaming group would not be frowned upon by any sane[*] game company.

[* Yeah, I'm making a judgement call about sanity, there. ;-) ]

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 26 2004, 08:45 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

What I want to know about the distribution is...how did Wordman pull his versions of SR sheets off so widely then? Not saying he's right...but I'm curious how he skated by on that since so many people were using them for a good while.

As a note...I made a PDF file SR Character Sheet field-editable for one of my players recently. It takes a good amount of time, but it's worth it.

What I would like to do is take Wordmans MASSIVE array of SR Sheet variations and turn them into field-editable versions.

Aside from that....um....Hey Adam...What if you aren't distributing them, but hosting them on your Forum for use by the users with their characters?

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Oct 26 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Wasn't trying to be mean, but it was the second rather rapid bump I'd seen and I wanted to indicate that we actually manage to dredge up long-dead topics frequently as opposed to losing track of posts that aren't even halfway down the first page yet (not that posts don't get lost, but we're less likely to lose them :) )

~J

I tend to agree with you. And as usual, you found a more subtle and polite way to get the point across than I would have.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 26 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #23

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Stumps)
What I want to know about the distribution is...how did Wordman pull his versions of SR sheets off so widely then? Not saying he's right...but I'm curious how he skated by on that since so many people were using them for a good while.

He made his own.

The law only applies to ones made by FASA/FanPro and placed in their books (save for the Dossier, which aren't legal to be spread at all).

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 26 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

Sweet!
So if I follow his with his permission, then there's no problem!
HURRAY!

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 26 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Technically, his could use updating anyway, so you might as well improve on them while you are at it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.