Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eye lasers, Eye lasers vs. Stick in the eyeball
nezumi
post Oct 26 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #1

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Alright, I'm reading through M&M. I've always ignored eye lasers, and for good reason, but this time I have an IC reason for having them. In theory it sounds like a neat idea, but in practice it looks a bit like being raped by wild boars.

If I'm reading this right, a basic eye laser does absolutely NOTHING except you can shine it in peoples eyes. .2 essence and you don't have to carry around a flashlight, woooo. To make it useful, you need to buy MORE pieces for the laser. So lets say you want the tool laser, you need to pay .15 + .5 essence? If you want the optilink, you throw on another .15 on top of that? Is it just me, or is this really friggin' expensive, especially considering the tool laser is just... a laser?

So I'm wondering, firstly, am I misreading the rules? Does it really cost more than six times the essence of a fingertip compartment and a normal tool laser inside? And secondly, is there ANYTHING useful you can do with the standard eye laser? Could you do rangefinding or help fire a weapon or anything? Make cool effects at night clubs? I know this item is supposed to be broken, but this is *REALLY* broken.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 26 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

You can make people think someone's taking aim at them...

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 26 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Never paid attention to the essence cost, so if you compare with a fingertip compartiment, and it seems way too expensive, I wouldn't hesitate to slash costs.

That being said, a tool laser isn't "just a laser". It's a FREAKIN LASER! It cuts through material! Talk about taking technology for granted! Anyway, I've never found a use for having that in your eyes rather than carrying around a toolkit, but whatever.

You can use eye lasers to communicate silently and with 0% chance of intercept, you can use it as a Designator and you can use it as a range finder.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Oct 26 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,897

You can enamor yourself to Dr. Evil with one...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 26 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

You can cut yourself out of being tied up just by looking at the ropes! Even if they blindfold you and stick your eyes shut, I suppose there'd be a willpower test to burn through your own eyelid. Damn, that'd be hard-core!

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Oct 26 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Really? No use for a laser? man are some people forgetting the cardinal rule. Style. Sure the simple no frills laser does all of squat except add some style to your character. Also lets you mislead people as to your true abilities. Superstitious slots can be tricked into thinking you are some big mojo man.

As for the Tool Laser it is infinitely usable if you have it. After all how often are your hand bound, or do you need a third hand to cut a wire. While these are not too often they are life threatening.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 26 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #7

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Backgammon)
That being said, a tool laser isn't "just a laser". It's a FREAKIN LASER! It cuts through material! Talk about taking technology for granted!

Just trying to figure out what the difference is between having a laser set to HIGH and having a laser set to FREAKIN' is all. Does freakin' make it easier to install in animals? Seems silly to have .15 essence to upgrade a laser from high to freakin', I guess.

So it sounds like the general consensus is yes I read the rules right, no there's not a whole lot else you can do with it without being very creative.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Oct 26 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

Laser microphone, precise targetable hearing at 500m isn't to be sneezed at.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 26 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (nezumi)
So it sounds like the general consensus is yes I read the rules right, no there's not a whole lot else you can do with it without being very creative.

It's a matter of perception.

The base laser is just that, the base unit you're having installed. It's not meant to be used on its own anymore than a monitor is. You have to buy the rest of the gear you need to take advantage of it in any measurable way, and some gear will need a better laser/monitor than other gear will.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 26 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #10

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (nezumi)
Does freakin' make it easier to install in animals?

Only with sharks.

But, without having the books in front of me, high makes the laser go extra far, while freakin' makes it cut through stuff. It's a pretty big jump, IMO.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Oct 27 2004, 07:15 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Cyberhand, Indepentant Cybereye, High Power Eye Laser System, Tool Laser

Just think about it. And prepare to be hated by your GM.

+Quote Post
wargear
post Oct 27 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,648

Not to mention that the Tool Laser is an essential part of the Kryptonian Package... :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.