IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vehicle Damage, Are they made of balsa wood?
Ed Simons
post Oct 27 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348

After a couple one-shot vehicle kills I've noticed that non-rigged vehicles are awfully fragile. Someone with a 3 skill Pistols is rolling as many dice to damage a Ford Americar as the vehicle gets to resist. And that's without considering the shooter can throw Combat Pool into that.

I'm considering a house rule that 4 successes are needed to step up the damage on a vehicle, instead of 2.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 27 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

And not only that, but a bullet or two that destroys a car renders it completely totaled and beyond repair. (or, costing 100% of the total vehicle cost to repair...whatever)
I will agree that vehicle destruction can be a bit fishy, but I'm not sure 1st ed staging is the answer. It's an interesting idea, though, it just seems like an awfully big can-o-worms.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 27 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

It's a pretty common problem. By canon you pretty much have to either load up on a ton of armor or the vehicle goes down like a two dollar whore in Singapore by anyone with a weapon that has a Damage Level of M or higher.

What I typically do is triple the amount of dice any given vehicle rolls for their Body tests against non-vehicular weapons. Body 1 drones get 3 dice (fragile but not insta-kill), most Bikes would get 6 dice, most cars would get 9 dice, and vehicles larger than that are pretty much immune to serious damage except by vicious weapons or those weilded by adepts or something. Coupled with the automatic staging down of attacks, it's gone a long way to make it a bit more believable. At least to us.

Note that this is only for purposes of destroying the car itself. You can still hurt people inside by shooting through barriers (or whatever other rules you prefer to use for such contests) and all that jazz.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Oct 27 2004, 03:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Ever seen what a well placed shot or two can do to a vehicle. if the gas tank is not absolutely full you can kiss the baby good bye.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 27 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

But those should be rare occurances caused by a called shot or spectacular staging; not the standard.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 27 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (lorthazar @ Oct 27 2004, 09:16 AM)
if the gas tank is not absolutely full you can kiss the baby good bye.

Only in stupendously lame movies. EDIT: Or if shooting at a Gremlin. EDIT: That has a lot of explosives in it. EDIT: And rigged to the gas-tank. EDIT: With a remote trigger that you push right when you shoot.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Oct 27 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Then explain the one some gangbangers lit up accidently. They were aiming for the tires and well the sights were off. Urban legend you say? Hell man, I was a hundred feet away when it happened. Don't let you supposed reality fool you. A .45 is powerful enough to crack the engine of a truck. Now you don't have to crack the engine block to make a car useless. Destroy enough hoses, pumps, wires, and other components and a car is toast. You guys also seem to be forgetting that a vehicles Body also acts like standard armor and that APDS ammo works like normal.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 27 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

You could manage to set it on fire, though, if you're very (un)lucky. Self-sealing gas tanks should take care of most of that, you'll only get a small fire. Maybe you could even make the tank of a material that is very unlikely to spark when hit by most metals that bullets are made of.

I run it exactly like Doctor Funkenstein. Triple body dice. Good luck shooting down a cargo helo with a Light Pistol. (Yeah, and AV ammunition for most small arms doesn't exist.)

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 27 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (lorthazar)
Then explain the one some gangbangers lit up accidently. They were aiming for the tires and well the sights were off. Urban legend you say? Hell man, I was a hundred feet away when it happened. Don't let you supposed reality fool you. A .45 is powerful enough to crack the engine of a truck. Now you don't have to crack the engine block to make a car useless. Destroy enough hoses, pumps, wires, and other components and a car is toast. You guys also seem to be forgetting that a vehicles Body also acts like standard armor and that APDS ammo works like normal.

No one likes things blowing up so fast to make them useless. IMO, I think it's the movies that's made us think vehicles are so indestructable that they can take 100 rounds and only have broken windows and flat tires.

You have good points, but I suppose the more fantasy you want your chase scenes, the more fudging you'll have to do to make them last longer.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Oct 27 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Oct 27 2004, 09:56 AM)
It's a pretty common problem.  By canon you pretty much have to either load up on a ton of armor or the vehicle goes down like a two dollar whore in Singapore by anyone with a weapon that has a Damage Level of M or higher.

What I typically do is triple the amount of dice any given vehicle rolls for their Body tests against non-vehicular weapons.  Body 1 drones get 3 dice (fragile but not insta-kill), most Bikes would get 6 dice, most cars would get 9 dice, and vehicles larger than that are pretty much immune to serious damage except by vicious weapons or those weilded by adepts or something.  Coupled with the automatic staging down of attacks, it's gone a long way to make it a bit more believable.  At least to us.

Note that this is only for purposes of destroying the car itself.  You can still hurt people inside by shooting through barriers (or whatever other rules you prefer to use for such contests) and all that jazz.

Doc,

Do you still halve the power of the weapon in addition to tripling the body dice and auto staging the damage down a level?

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 27 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

You wanna think of something funny?

Okay, so a lotta people have those supa-fly magnesium rims, right? They're alloy, right, so they're safe from the heat from bullets, right? Shoot the tires. If the guy keeps running, there is a distinct possibility that the heat from flattened tires - if sufficient to make the tires melt - will light the rims up.

Back in 1996, the San Francisco PD did precisely this. A guy hit a spike strip but kept driving. After about three blocks, his tires were pretty much shot, at least in the back. Sparks from rim-to-asphalt contact were hot enough to light up the rear rims like a christmas tree. He couldn't get out because it got so hot so fast that his door partially fused to the surrounding metal. Burned to death in the car. There was a big investigation, after which the police were exonerated of all charges. Their argument was, "What, we're responsible for his decision to A) run, and B) have magnesium rims?"

Just a funny - in that black humor way - vehicular story.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 27 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Erebus: I think he's said in an earlier thread that he does. Would be no point otherwise.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Oct 27 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

Ok. Cool. Just making sure, before I start using that to beef up vehicles.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 27 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Destroyed, whatever the name may say, only costs 50% of vehicle cost to repair.

~J

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Oct 27 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,935

Do you triple the body dice against small arms only? And do you triple the body dice when a rigger is running the vehicle?

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 27 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (GoldenAri)
Do you triple the body dice against small arms only?  And do you triple the body dice when a rigger is running the vehicle?

What I typically do is triple the amount of dice any given vehicle rolls for their Body tests against non-vehicular weapons.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 27 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Wow, I go and watch a movie only to return and find people answering my questions for me. Cool. It's like some weird Twilight Zone movie or something. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 27 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

But that just makes vehicles even more invulnerable to small-arms fire.

Edit: Though I suppose that's the point. Never mind, carry on.

~J

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 27 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Let's look at your standard Ford Americar being pot-shot by a guy with an Ares Predator and regular ammo. We'll say he's your average runner with a focus on this sort of thing, so Pistols 6, and we'll say he's taking that pot-shot at a car in a well-lit parking lot (no TN modifiers). To be nice, he only has a laser sight rather than a smartlink but he does spend one Simple Action aiming anyway.

Bang. He rolls 6 Pistol + 6 Combat Pool dice with a TN of 2 and nails 10 successes with a base Damage Code of 9M. The vehicle stages that down to 4L and rolls its (Body 3*3) 9 dice against a TN of 4, succeeding with 6 successes. The shooter wins with 4 net successes and stages the damage up to a Serious blow.

Now let's use the same scenario with a Joe Schmoe with Pistols 3 and no targeting device. Bang. He rolls his 3 Pistol + 3 Combat Pool dice against a TN of 3 and scores 5 successes. The vehicle resists exactly as above and gets only one net success. Unfortunately, that's not enough to completely stage the damage down so it still takes a Light wound.

That's hardly invulnerable to small-arms fire. But at least with the seasoned professional, he was unable to completely destroy the Amricar with a single shot in perfect conditions. The only people who will be completely unable to do anything more than mere cosmetic damage are incompetent gunmen with no or very low skill ratings.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 27 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

I suppose I'm just too used to Riggers, where the vehicle dodge rules are such that if a single attack didn't do a lot of damage taking a Rigger out with non-AV weaponry without ramming would be nearly impossible.

~J

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 27 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

As it should be against a rigger. It takes a rigger to take on a rigger... though his drones (Body 2 or lower) are still relatively easy targets. At least as much as any armored target with Body 3 or 6. And if you're prepared with AV ammo or any other type of anti-vehicular weapon, it's just as easy then as it is now.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Oct 27 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I also have a house rule that AV ammo is not available for anything smaller then machine guns.

I like this triple Body dice also, and will hace to seriously consider using it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 27 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

I personally houserule AV to be available for nothing smaller than rifle-class, though I realize that that's still smaller than realistic. At least it doesn't completely break my mind that way.

~J

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 28 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I know a guy who teaches firearms classes and also manages a computer lab. He told me that once he took an old hard drive out to the range and shot it with a .44 magnum. The round only went halfway through the harddrive.

So, based on that, I can't imagine how handguns could cause any serious damage to vehicles.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 28 2004, 06:10 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

First your always assumed to be aiming for a vulnerable part of a target. And your number of successes determines how well you do this. In a car that means the fuel tank or enjon bay.

What is going to happen to a car when you out a bullet into the radiator. Its going to stop within a couple of combat turns (a friend couldn’t get a radiator for a car and used a 44 gallon drum. It was good for 5 minutes), if you cut fuel lines its going to start a fire within seconds, if you hit the sump the oil will drain and the enjoin will seas within seconds, if you hit the rocker cover it will go strait threw and jam the cam shaft or the rockers and the engine will stop immediately if you hit the onboard computer the car will stop immediately. Serious wounds are represented by hits to the steering assembly or the spark leads (disabling a cylinder) or the battery or alternator. Or numerus other parts.

Frankly if it wasn’t for the fact that you can’t predicted placement of these components like you can vital organs in a meta human I would dispute the reduction of power.

As to repair costs it is a bit of a stretch to say that you have to repoase an entire vehicle because of a single disabling shot. I would be tempted to give a vehicle overflow boxes equal to its body the cost of repairs is cost of vehicle/body*boxes filled. deadlier over damage applies.

Edward

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.