Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SURGE?, What the hell?
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 28 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,768

OK, so I have seen people talk about SURGE. I have also seen people talk about a flaw that makes you dual Natured. Can any one tell me what book this is in? I have a player who really wants to be Dual Natured so he can take Aura Reading.

Thanks. :twirl:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 28 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Year of the Comet. :)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 28 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Year of the Comet.

In the book, there is an Edge and a Flaw that can get you Aura Reading.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 28 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
I have a player who really wants to be Dual Natured so he can take Aura Reading.

This player may need to re-read what being Dual Natured entails.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

They might want to consider the Edge that grants astral perception (and a magic rating of 1 provided Essence isn't below 1)

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 28 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Oh cool, so this is all in Year of the Comet? No wonder. I must pick it up then.

:D

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Oct 28 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

QUOTE (Nikoli)
magic rating of 1 provided Essence isn't below 1

Nikoli, is this stated somewhere? I've a sam who has essence 3 and bio index of like 5 or so and I though it'd be cool for her to have this effect but wasn't sure if her existing essence loss and bio index would make her lose her 'magic point'.

I had thought that any further magic loss once a character 'surges' that'd take it away but wasn't sure.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 28 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #8

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Nikoli)
They might want to consider the Edge that grants astral perception (and a magic rating of 1 provided Essence isn't below 1)

That is incorrect, anyone with Essense above 0 can have that Edge. But it is going to be one hell of a roll or he's gotta pay BPs through the nose.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 28 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

[edit]Move along. Nothing to see here.[/edit]

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

Unless it happened in game, which isn't likely. Hrmm, I coulda swore that one edge had an essence minimum, because of the Magic attribute granting, which IIRC it's the only way to gain the magic attribute for a mundane.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 28 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Well you have all been helpful. I just ordered the book from amazon. Any one mind telling me how many points Dual Natured is?

also, The player who wants this has an essance of 2+ left but lots of bio, could he take that other one you were talking about, the ability to peak? How many points was that?

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Oct 28 2004, 04:07 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,676

Also keep in mind that per the erratta, IIRC, they changed how bio index + cyberware effect magic. If you have 4 points of essence loss from cyberware and 4 points of bio index, you now total -6 when calculating magic.

EDIT] I meant -6 Essence not target numbers.

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Oct 28 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

Dual natured is like -10 I think - it's a 'flaw' while the 'edge' is something similar in points costs.

With the magic rating astral perception edge, does the magic point get lost automatically if you aren't whole (Essence 6 and Bioindex 0) when you become a SURGE Changeling or do you get it at the 'false zero' which is whatever your stats are at the time and then lose the magic point (and hence your ability to percieve) should you lose more essence and/or increase your bio index?

As for the dice roll, I'm pretty sure it says that you round essence down to get the number of dice you roll.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 28 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

ok, so I am missing something. If you are dual natured (10 point flaw) you can see astraly...all he time. So you can take aura reading..but thats only a suplamentry skill. So what would I roll for a non-magic charector to assence some one? And also, does magic have a default?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 28 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

Intelligence for Assensing. Magic skills, according to canon, cannot default to anything ... even Willpower. There is currently a large thread about house-rules for this very subject.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #16

Chicago Survivor

Well, with no Magic Attribute, you'd have to rely on the Aura Reading Skill and take half your successes for the assencing table.

Just remember a dual-natured character has trouble with barriers, annoyed astral creatures and astral targeting as well as they will likely catch a goodly share of the incomming fire as the mage on the opposing side sees their little astral beacon self and tells the gun-bunnys to fire your way.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Oct 28 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

You use intelligence to aura read and the aura reading skill is complimentary. Don't forget if you are initiated, you also get an astral pool equal to your grade that can also be used when assensing. Instead of using dual natured which is pretty hard to surge to being it is like -10. You could get Astral perception which is +6 and take other negative flaws. That would be much safer and more beneficial.

According to the books, there is no default for Magic specifically. Either you have it or you don't....whith the exception of SURGE which still means you only had it because the mana levels rose enough to open yours.

Keep in mind also that by Surging and getting the magic point, that does not allow you to use any of the magic skills except aura reading and possibly enchanting as described. So, no metamagics and no initiating. Unless you are a mage already.

You could though make wards. The second biggest benefit even though they would only be force 1's.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

I dunno, I'd allow a newly awakened character to begin learning magic. But not at char-gen. They could have the edge, but not take sorcery or conjuring, they'd have to learn that in game. It also means that if they want to be able to toss more than a force 1 anything, they had better come up with some karma to initiate and raise their magic attribute.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Oct 28 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
I dunno, I'd allow a newly awakened character to begin learning magic. But not at char-gen. They could have the edge, but not take sorcery or conjuring, they'd have to learn that in game. It also means that if they want to be able to toss more than a force 1 anything, they had better come up with some karma to initiate and raise their magic attribute.

But the Astral Perception Surge benefit specifically says no other magic skills except the enchanting and aura reading and the character gets a Magic rating of 1.

The dual natured flaw says they can now learn aura reading but doesn't specifically say they can do anything else which would require a Magic skill, that they are not given.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 28 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

I have already told this guy that Dual Natured was nuts, but players will do what ever they want until some one puts a bullet in there head.

Two of my five players are already dual nature.

A Physical Adept Drake...
and a Shapeshifter (Bear) Full Shaman of Bear Albino... Talk about taking it to far.

So with two other dual natured charectors he felt safe taking it. Man I am really going to screw with them when they sleep.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 28 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Ok, sorry. So then If some one took dual natured they would be able to use aura reading, take half sucsess and add to an Int check? Would the int check be at defualt penaltees?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 28 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

If that much of the group is already dual-natured, most of the problems that being dual-natured causes is a moot point -- the team's already tripping wards and astral-targeting opponents don't have just one guy to focus all of their attacks on.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #23

Chicago Survivor

Yeah, then it's time for a high force manaball from astral space

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 28 2004, 04:55 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Assensing is always Intelligence, with Aura Reading as complimentary. There is no need to default.

Dual Natured is nowhere near as bad if the character is Magically-active (which is why it's only a 5 point flaw for them), especially if they can Initiate and pick up Masking.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #25

Chicago Survivor

True. That's be a fun flaw to mix with Spirit Bane

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.