Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "best" adept powers?, working on new character
GlassJaw
post Oct 28 2004, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,664

I've been working on an adept with NSRCG and was just wondering if I'm on the right track as far as selecting powers goes.

I usually start out with taking Improved Reflexes 2 (3 PP's). After that, I try to max out my physical abilities up to their racial modified limits. That way I can use more attribute points in Int and Will. This usually takes 1.5-2 PP's (3-4 points at 0.5 PP each).

That leaves around 1-1.5 PP's left, give or take. I was also thinking of being an archer so I took Quick Draw as well (0.5 PP).

Does this look ok? Are there other powers that I would be better to spend my points on? Bear in mind I don't have MItS yet but I hope to get it soon. Thanks!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

I'd wait for MitS and SOTA:'64 before that. Though SOTA:'64 isn't in NSRCG that I know of, though some are working on it.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 28 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,724

oh no....no no no....
let's see...um...underworld93.com might help you out

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 28 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,768

What is does State of The art have more magic stuff?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 28 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The thing is, not all adepts are the same. What's best for a melee-oriented adept isn't the best for a gunbunny-adept. What's best for an athletic adept isn't the best for a stealth adept. etc.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

And on top of that, SOTA:'64 gives you The Artistic Adept and the Social Adept as well

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 28 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

One thing I've seen though is that the attribute bonus powers are kind of a waste most of the time. Usually it's far better to get 'ware and geas it (or even *don't* geas it) for stat boosts, and spend your power points on more interesting powers.

One thing I find incredibly useful are Improved Sense powers. I usually spend at least 1 full point on senses; being natural they're always better than the sammie's, which is really cool.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Chicago Survivor

And you take the grade you want, select sound filter power at lvl 1 is .25 same as level 5

+Quote Post
Everfast
post Oct 28 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,766

How would you describe the 'natural' functioning of a select sound filter? It would seem like it would require a great deal of concentration.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 28 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no more than the cyberware version does.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 28 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #11

Chicago Survivor

I didn't write the rules. Thinkof it this way, some folks can filter out the background noise in a bar when talking to someone, others can't. There's no real concentration involved, just a general knack for filtering out the stuff you don't need at the moment.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Oct 28 2004, 06:14 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Actually, everybody is normally filtering sounds all the time. It's very uncomfortable for people with hearing loss, since that filtering capacity have been damaged, hearing aid restore a normal level for all sounds.

+Quote Post
GlassJaw
post Oct 28 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

So is the general consensus to get MItS? I plan to get it but is an adept grossly inferior if you just use SR3?

One thing I've seen though is that the attribute bonus powers are kind of a waste most of the time. Usually it's far better to get 'ware and geas it (or even *don't* geas it) for stat boosts, and spend your power points on more interesting powers

Could you maybe go into a bit more detail why? Attributes are the most expensive to increase so I figured boosting those would be the bet along with taking a few other powers. The senses are fairly cheap so I would just use karma on those. I've never played an adept so I don't know what is best in-play.

Here's the character I was working on:

Ork PhyAdept Archer/Face/Martial Artist
Sum to 10:
Ork - 1
Magic - 3
Attributes - 4
Skills - 2
Resources - 0 (I'm po')

B - 9 (4+3+2)
Q - 6 (5+1)
S - 8 (4+2+1)
C - 5 (6-1)
I - 4 (5-1)
W - 6 (6)

Athletics - 4
Stealth - 4
Unarmed Combat - 6
Projectile Weapons/Bows - 5/7
Etiquette - 5
Negotiation - 5
Interrogation/Verbal - 3/5

Imp Reflexes 2 (3 PP)
Quick Draw (0.5 PP)
Imp Pys Attr (Str) 2 (1 PP)
Imp Pys Attr (Qck) 1 (0.5 PP)
Imp Pys Attr (Bod) 2 (1 PP)

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 28 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

You can make capable adepts with just SR3, but MitS givel a nice list of options and apparently SOTA64 adds a lot of options as well. Saying that they are "better" is not really sensible, but they can better match the desired character idea when selecting from the complete list.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 28 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Drop the Improved Attributes like an infected hooker. Quickdraw goes really well with Missle Mastery allowing one to throw four ball-point bic pens in one pass (one in each hand) each with a starting damage level of Light. I also suggest Traceless Walk (.5 PP) and Improved Combat Skill (if you go for Missle Mastery put the dice to Throwing) along with Counter Strike (.25 PP per die) which is better than Mystic Armor or the like. Pain Resistance at 3 boxes really comes in handy.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 28 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Actually, "Quick Draw" might not be bad since he's aiming to be an archer.

I'll second the "Lose the improved attributes" comments - invest in some sense enhancements like Image Mag. Otherwise those range penalties will kill you, not them.

You might keep the Improved Strength, since you will be a combat spec.

Think about killing hands at L since you want to be a martial artist - it's too useful not to have if you plan to enter really close quarters.

Blindfire might not be a bad choice either, if you want to play up the Zen Archer angle - echolocation and high frequency hearing are your friends.

Books
MitS is nice, but not essential. Sota64 is nice, but not essential. Your adept isn't breaking new ground and isn't going to be exploring uncharted territories, so stick with the basics until or unless you feel like spending the cash.

-Siege

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Oct 28 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

There are no "best" powers generally, though some are very useful for specific characters. Quickdraw is very good for bow adepts. I made an orc bow adept. He had maxed out strength and quickness (as well as int for higher reaction), with bonus attribute point: strength and his adept powers were:

Quickdraw
Improved Sense: Directional Sense
Improved Sense: Vision Magnification 3
Improved Ability: Projectile Weapons 5
Improved Reflexes 1
Improved Sense: Improved Scent
Improved Sense: Sound Filter 5

I wanted to give him a tracker like feel, hence all the improved senses, and he had Projectile Weapons 5/Bows 7. He's strength 9, so with a Ranger X Bow he does 13M base damage, throwing 12 dice, with a Base TN of 4 at any range out to his maximum (which with his strength is REALLY long range) and he's hitting against impact armour. Woot.

JaronK

+Quote Post
GlassJaw
post Oct 29 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

I'll second the "Lose the improved attributes" comments

Ok, this seems to be a recurring theme but I'm not exactly sure why. I would figure getting your stats maxed out would be a priority, but then again, what do I know?

So what's the main reason? Is it because your stats are easier to improve or just not as important?

invest in some sense enhancements like Image Mag

Well what about just a scope on your bow?

Think about killing hands at L since you want to be a martial artist

How is that useful when it's lower than your normal unarmed damage (albeit Stun)?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 29 2004, 01:09 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (GlassJaw)
Ok, this seems to be a recurring theme but I'm not exactly sure why. I would figure getting your stats maxed out would be a priority, but then again, what do I know?

So what's the main reason? Is it because your stats are easier to improve or just not as important?

Well what about just a scope on your bow?

How is that useful when it's lower than your normal unarmed damage (albeit Stun)?

I wouldn't advise losing the Improved Attributes for Strength or Quickness. But Body is iffy. Strength because you need it for your Damage. Quickness becuase you might want to Quickdraw and it requires a Quickness Test.

A scope on the bow is allowable by Canon, though I do not have you can see through it.

It is Physical Damage (and it takes down things previously Immuned).

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 29 2004, 01:13 AM
Post #20

Beetle Eater

The cost of attribute improvment by adept powers is not an efficent transfer compaired to the cost of Power Points verus raising the attributes naturally. You are better off using the chargen points more effectivly.

You bypass a spirit's immunity to normal wepaons power, but unless you're the only magic character (in which case I have millions of suggestions) it's not that great.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 29 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #21

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

The cost of attribute improvment by adept powers is not an efficent transfer compaired to the cost of Power Points verus raising the attributes naturally. You are better off using the chargen points more effectivly.

Adept - 25 BP

Adept - 6 PP

1PP = (about) 4BP

1 Att = 2BP

1PP = 2Att

1PP = 4 BP

I think it balances as long as you do not go over the RML.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 29 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #22

Beetle Eater

That's exactly what I mean, your wasting adept power points when attribute points are more plentyfull (you can never get more than 6 PP to start).

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 29 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Not if you maxed out your Quota of 30 Attribute point and your GM is being anal about the Attribute "cap".

+Quote Post
Bane
post Oct 29 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 6,654

QUOTE (toturi)
I wouldn't advise losing the Improved Attributes for Strength or Quickness. But Body is iffy. Strength because you need it for your Damage. Quickness becuase you might want to Quickdraw and it requires a Quickness Test.

Actually, Quick Drawing is a Reaction test. At least, it is without the adept power.

With it I'm fairly certain it remains based on Reaction, but I can't be certain since I don't have MitS.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 29 2004, 01:42 AM
Post #25

Canon Companion

Mea Culpa... Reaction test it is. But you do need that Quickness.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.