Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Least useful book
Gilthanis
post Oct 29 2004, 01:48 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,676

Out of all the SR3 books out right now, what book (rule book or source book) would you rank as the least useful and why?

Then, what would be you top 3 list?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 29 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Hard to say. Of the ones I can remember off the top of my head, I might have to go with Sprawl Survival Guide, but if I hadn't read Shadowbeat before that wouldn't be true.

Top three is also hard.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 29 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Rule books or sourcebooks?

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Oct 29 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

It all depends on what you want in your game. I mean any book that is largely based on one area is largely useless unless you are going to playing that area. But on the whole, I would have say that the dragons of sixth world is the least useful one. THis is not to say that it is a bad book, but rather that is it is largely dealing with parts of the world, that the players should have nothing to do with. Dragons are both few in numbers and powerful.This means most runners will not see or deal with any of them, let alone a great one.

Now in my game the matrix book is useless, because no one on the team is a real decker.Or at least none of the PCs are.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 29 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Least useful assuming 3rd Ed, it is Target Matrix.

Most useful

1) BBB
2) MITS, M & M, CC (joint seconds)

+Quote Post
Ezra
post Oct 29 2004, 03:49 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,873

Don't know about least useful, but the most boring one is the Germany Sourcebook.

Most useful books:
1) BBB
2) MITS
3) CC

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 29 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

huh. i think T:Matrix is great, i use it all the time. least useful... i guess i'd have to go with DotSW. i mean, don't get me wrong, i enjoy reading it. but i never find any real reason to use it.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 29 2004, 03:53 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The Sprawl Survival Guide is a great book for the Lifestyle and Fake SIN chapter alone.

For me, the least useful rulebook would be Target: Wastelands simply because I rarely ever have any use for most of the material in there. For sourcebooks, most any of the run packages (Wake of the Comet, Brainscan, Renraku Arcology Shutdown, etc.). Can't stand 'em.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Oct 29 2004, 04:54 AM
Post #9

Guests

Wake was a great book. How else would I know there's a KN: Orbital Black markets skill, or a KN: Megacorp Special Forces skill, or that even on a Firewatch team, the mage still only carries a damn light pistol.

BTW, I think it sucks that FireWatch went from uber-elite commando badasses to glorified merc SWAT teams.

+Quote Post
Tai-Pan
post Oct 29 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 823

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
Out of all the SR3 books out right now, what book (rule book or source book) would you rank as the least useful and why?

Then, what would be you top 3 list?

Dragons of the Sixth World followed by Target: Wastelands for the most Useless books.

3) Man and Machine
2) Cannon Compainion
1) The BIG Black Book

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Oct 29 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

Least useful book? Well, for me that's gotta be Shadows of Europe because I find it too much of an update to be useful.

I actually rate DotSW as quite a useful book, but then I have a dragon plot in my campaign and am running Survival right now so it's to be expected :o)

I couldn't posibly chose my top three books, way too many to decide between :o)

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

Least Useful Book.

Cannon Companion!

(not really, but damn...I'm sick of some of the headaches that come from people being sticklers about that book...mind you I realize it's importance and I like that book myself very much. Don't order me a crusifix.)

+Quote Post
Nath
post Oct 29 2004, 10:29 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Top3
1) Big Black Book (obviously)
2) Sprawl Survival Guide (a lot mor consistent about SR universe by itself than the BBB)
3) Corporate Download (especially useful to actually understand what's going on in most other sourcebooks)

Bottom
3) Target:Awakened Lands (some question the use of books that describes a dozen of countries, groups, or storylines... what about a book wo describe only one country, with half the page used to demonstrate that characters cannot reasonably survive in two-thirds of the said country ?)
2) Mr. Johnson Black Book (if you're experienced enough as a GM, that's it)
1) Year of the Comet (except for SURGE and Shedim, everything in that last for more than six months in SR timeline have been or will be described in another relevant book)

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Oct 29 2004, 10:46 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Like quite a few people here i go with DotSW as the least usefull But it's still a very good book.

Most usefull......
SR3- Hey it is the main rule book!
SComp- Bp system, Edges and Flaws, Meta varients just to start..
M&M, CC and MitS- are all good books, but the main rules have a lot of it anyway....

SSG- Good background reading, and the Lifestyles and fake sin rules.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.