IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> vs. The Joy of Four?, Blackjack's joy of four: yea or nea?
heliocentric
post Oct 29 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,724

So, I was rooting through blackjack's site and I found this gem about opposed rolls:

http://blackjack.dumpshock.com/stuff/RULEjoyoffour.htm

I think I like it. Does anyone have some experience with this rules mod? Is it good or should I sooner give Argent a swirly than use this?

For some context: I like stripped down rules and am not afraid to improvise if I have to. I'm thinking of trying it at next weeks session, but I'd love some insight from you folks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 29 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

In a fit of coincidence, there is a thread about this exact topic right here

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 29 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I personally dislike the Joy of Four and think it's a solution in search of a problem. YMMV.

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Oct 29 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

I like how it makes so many of the bothersome ratings not related to Skills, such as Attributes, Power in a Damage Code, armor rating, spell, focus, and spirit Force, maglock ratings, etc., irrelevent or vastly less important. Way to gut the SR system.

Let's look at his test example: if the TN is always 4, why the hell bother casting a Powerbolt with a Force above 3? Or any other combat spell for that matter? The primary role of force in this case, as the Power of the Damage a target must resist, has been taken away.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 29 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

I thought that rant only applied a change for the cases where the TN for person 1 is the skill/attribute being rolled by person 2 and the TN for person 2 is the skill/attribute being rolled by person 1.

In that case, it only affects things like banishing, breaking wards, and some social skills.

I still probably won't use it, but I never thought he meant to discard all PC influence on the TN for the opponent.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 29 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

It's a good replacement for Open Tests, but that's about it. I wouldn't use it in most other situations for the very reason GunnerJ and the others have pointed out.

+Quote Post
ZorbaTHut
post Oct 29 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 1,806

I'm certainly not going to use it in any other case than the symmetrical two-skills-being-used-overall case. On the other hand, in that case, a single point really does turn into an incredible advantage.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.