IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [SoA2064] SOTA64/Adept specific question, Waiting for the book...
Deadeye
post Oct 29 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,793

Hello all. Just a quick request, if it's no trouble. I'm still waiting for my copy of SOTA64, and I read something here about an adept power that seems to function like a smartlink, reducing range modifiers or some such. What is the power, and what's its effect/cost? I might FINALLY be getting a group back together and one of my players was looking at an adept...

Thanks a ton.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 29 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

It's atunement. You "bond" an item or an animal to receive a -1 to TN regarding it. The more tech the item, the more you pay in Karma. so A pistol wielding phys ad can get a -1 from attunement and -1 from laser sight (they stack) for a -2 however they don't get the spiffy side effects (fee action to switch modes, eject clip, etc.) not do they get benefits for called shots.

Though I think there may be another power that helps with reloading, I don't recall clearly.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 29 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

attunement is incompatible with DNI-linked devices, such as cybernetic smartlinks.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 29 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Note that Attunement is a metamagic technique, not an adept power. A starting adept won't be able to have one by canon since they're forbidden from buying spell points (and thus using them to initiate) during character creation.

It's not my rule, so don't look at me like that.

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Oct 29 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Jesus Freak

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,274

*looks at Doctor Funkenstein like that*

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Oct 29 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

Actually, it is now possible with the high-powered character creation rules in Sprawl Survival Guide.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Oct 29 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Guests

Don't you mean MrJLBB?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 29 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Wireknight)
Actually, it is now possible with the high-powered character creation rules in Sprawl Survival Guide.

Wrong yet again. MrJLBB's High-Level Guidelines allow adepts to buy spell points for precisely two things; bonding foci and buying Power Points. No other exceptions to the standard rules are granted.

Again, not my rule.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 29 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

In SotA2064, "Nimble Fingers" allows adepts to swap magazines faster - I don't recall the exact mechanic off-hand.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Oct 29 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Wireknight @ Oct 29 2004, 02:13 PM)

Wrong yet again.

Was that nececessary? Especially since I corrected him almost an hour before you.

QUOTE (Siege)
In SotA2064, "Nimble Fingers" allows adepts to swap magazines faster - I don't recall the exact mechanic off-hand.

It changes several Simple Actions to Free Actions.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 29 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Oct 29 2004, 05:21 PM)
Was that nececessary? Especially since I corrected him almost an hour before you.

Considering that I was correcting him about his assumption that the rules in the book allow for it in addition to your correction about which book it was in, yes, he was wrong yet again.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Oct 30 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #12

Guests

Again?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 30 2004, 01:41 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Mistake 1: Sprawl Survival Guide. You corrected him.
Mistake 2: The rules he was referencing in MrJBB allowed adepts to start initiated. They do not.

Yes, he was mistaking again. As in a second time in the same post.

+Quote Post
Deadeye
post Oct 30 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #14

Target

Okey-dokey. Thanks y'all. Out of curiosity, is there anything in any of the books that would compare to the telescoping feature that a sami can get from cybereyes?

Once upon a time in the Way Back When I was actually getting to run a character when one of my players wanted to try his hand at GMing. Knowing I probably wouldn't get to play him much (and I was right) I made a gun adept whose pistols skill was 6, plus 3 power points worth of augmentation. Throwing 12 dice was fun, but, of course, another one of my players (just looking for the chance to show me up, the rotten bastard) enhanced his sammi's cyber-eyes and had lower TNs on his range modifiers. What I'm getting at is that he made me look like a chump, and it was all I could do to keep myself from being vindictive when I took the reins of the game back over.

Basically, is a sami with cybereyes and a smartlink still going to make a messy meatloaf out of a non-cybered adept in a straight out, old west style shootout or what? I guess I could just wait to get the book...

BUT I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE BOOK!

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 30 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

An adept can get Image Magnification just like a samurai, but the adept automatically gets level 3 Image Mag for the base .25 cost.

Important note - image mag and smartlinks Do. Not. Stack.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Deadeye
post Oct 30 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #16

Target

Ah ha! Many thanks, Seige. Have to admit, it's hard to not have one or two rules slip by ya when you've got a mage, a sammi, and a decker in the group. It's like running 3 games!

[QUOTE] Important note - image mag and smartlinks Do. Not. Stack.
[QUOTE]

So now the important question--does attuinment and image mag?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 30 2004, 02:50 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Yes. Attunement doesn't work with DNI-controlled devices; that's datajacks, smartlinks, cyberdecks, and things like that. Laser sights, vision magnification, and all that schmaz work fine. At least based upon what I've seen on the topic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.