IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halloween Runs?, Tis the season again...
Lindt
post Oct 29 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Sooo, how do YOU scare the pants off your players?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Oct 29 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Lindt)

make a bunch of rolls behind the GM screen and start laughing like mad.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Oct 29 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Oct 29 2004, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Oct 29 2004, 08:56 PM)

make a bunch of rolls behind the GM screen and start laughing like mad.

I take them to downtown Salem during the Halloween Chaos and tell them Mr Johnson will pay them 5k :nuyen: a piece and all they need to do is start handing out Jack Chick tracts to people. (Particularly the Devil's Night, and D&D ones.)

Edit: On a more serious note, spirits magic and the unknown... I've found that its easier to put the scare in players by adjusting the games tone... than by any particular scary plotline. Scary plotlines can be cool, but if you can master setting the mood and tone, you could take Food Fight and turn it into something truly frightening.

GURPs Horror has a good section on toying with these types of things. Lighting, slow careful speech, and bizarre occurances... "Hey Jack, where did that security guard you geek'd go?" are good starts.

:pumpkin: :pumpkin: :pumpkin:

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 29 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I usually have a horror themed game.

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 29 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,295

I'm thinking some to the effect of Ghouls flooding out of the wood work, and then the good old fashioned "where are they all coming from" effect.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Oct 29 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

I'm still looking for the vampire stats...

That reminds me...is Transylvania described in SoE?

I plan on doing something memorable to my players for my near-halloween game :) I fully expect lots of "Oh shit" and other memorable four letter words. :) :vegm:

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 29 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,295

stats for Vamps are in Paranormal's of Europe, at least that's one place for them

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Oct 29 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Gah...but is there a 3rd edition stat line? I never can find those paranormal books - besides, why are vamps considered animals?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 29 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

They're in critters as well. They are there, as are various spirits, because they are things outside the norms of metahumanity that need at least some stats.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Oct 30 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Somebody around here once suggested using hoards of modified Loup Garou as a "Dawn of the Dead/28 Days Later" type zombies (yes, I know they weren't "dead" in 28 Days Later) and make the disease contagiuos (sp?). I liked the idea because the enhanced sats for the Loup Garous make them fast and nasty as opposed to the sluggish nature of zombies. They also provide a new, non-Goul, "undead" monster. Just don't call them Loup Garou.

Run any module with Bugs. Missing Blood and Queen Euphoria are my favs.

Another good trick is using a Protaen to act like the alien in "The Thing." It will help if you see your players outside of your game. You could try to prime them by having a movie night. Just make sure you pick the movie...

If that fails, do what Shanshu said. Roll a bunch of dice behind your screen and chuckle to yourself. Then radomly ask a player what his/her Willpower (or Perception, or Reaction, or Quickness, or etc.). Then shake your head, chuckle, and pretend to jot something down on a notepad.

Rinse, lather, repeat as neccessary. :)

[Horrors? Bah. Go Humans!]

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 30 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Get flesh form Demon Rat Insect Spirits, summon Devil Rats and normal Rats. Or a Master Shedim cyberzombie (they get to use all those nifty cyberware without the need to worry about Essense) and they have Regeneration.

BTW,

Go Humans!

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 30 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

The probelm with 'scaring' most runner is two fold:

They've seen it all.

Their world involves so much wierd stuff already (dragons, ghouls, insect spirits, etc) that some more 'wierd stuff' is unlikely to scare them.

Your best best for getting some horror into your games usually does not involve new monsters (or whatever) but instead making normal things 'slip' slightly. Also what is imaginded tends to be much more firghtening that what actually shows up...

And if all else fails, at least make it funny: Zombie Night at the Gotham Aquarium (from Hitman): Zombie making gas is released at your local aquarium, go in and gun down those baby seal zombies (and other cute animals) before they get out of the aquarium and spread panic throught the city.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 30 2004, 02:16 AM
Post #13

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (DocMortand)
That reminds me...is Transylvania described in SoE?

Not really- Ukraine invaded and took over the northern half of Romania as a 'Protectorate' and the general area is desribed as pretty much of a mess. With all the ethnic and religious factions, warlords and local strongmen, I could see a powerful local 'noble' getting by without many raised eyebrows. ;)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 30 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

This time of the year in Transylvania? He'll probably be called Colonel Dracula.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 30 2004, 04:04 AM
Post #15

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Hhmm, tastes like chicken! :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.