IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Movement: The Critter Power, How does it enhance...or un enhance?
Kyuhan
post Nov 2 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,628

No I don't mean game mechanically. A buddy of mine and I were talking about how it works, he figures the power does some kind of "Improved (or unimproving?) Quickness physad power effect" whenever a character tries to walk/run. I figured that maybe it just accelerates/deccelerates the personal time frame of the character when they try to walk/run, thus giving the illusion of increased/decreased speed without the possibly harmful effects of moving too fast, if that makes any sense. Any thoughts or comments?

..."You're both dorks." is not a valid comment. :P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 2 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

What it does is very clearly spelled out. How it does that is irrelevant in relation to the game mechanics and probably varies depending on the creature/spirit in question.

A nature spirit would most likely use its power to change the moste immediate reference frame for velocity. For similar examples: see jetstreams. Such a process is easy with sky and water types, and a little harder for some to accept for land varieties.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 2 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Kyuhan)
I figured that maybe it just accelerates/deccelerates the personal time frame of the character when they try to walk/run, thus giving the illusion of increased/decreased speed without the possibly harmful effects of moving too fast, if that makes any sense. Any thoughts or comments?

Remember, SR is strict about not being able to alter time, so I don't think that's what's going on here. As far as moving fast, it's not the speed that gets you, but the sudden change of speed (acceleration or decceleration).

I always just figured the Movement power was like a spell that granted the bonus movement while present in the medium.

As it was mentioned, the specifics of "how" are rather non-consequential for the power to work.

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Nov 2 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

As it was mentioned, the specifics of "how" are rather non-consequential for the power to work.

Indeed. We were just sleep deprived and chatting about whatever got us thinkin' and that's how it came about. Solving the problems of the universe that no one cares about, one all nighter at a time. :D

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 2 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

I tend to think of it as the forces of nature rushing through one's body, or crushing down upon it. The critter channels those forces into you using its innate connection with the basic life force of planet, domain, ect.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 2 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Really, it would appear different for each Spirit type. For water-based Spirits, as has been said, the current might come to your aid, and the waves that would normally be against you might die down temporarily as you pass. For air-based, obviously wind comes to mind. For land-basd Spirits, it might appear that the ground is flowing beneath the character's feet (sort of like a moving sidewalk), and any obstacles might move slightly aside to aid in passage.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Nov 2 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (Fortune)
Really, it would appear different for each Spirit type. For water-based Spirits, as has been said, the current might come to your aid, and the waves that would normally be against you might die down temporarily as you pass. For air-based, obviously wind comes to mind. For land-basd Spirits, it might appear that the ground is flowing beneath the character's feet (sort of like a moving sidewalk), and any obstacles might move slightly aside to aid in passage.

This is the way I rule it in our game.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 3 2004, 02:22 AM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

That's good for spirits, and maybe critters. But, what about movement power confered by drugs such Spirit Strength?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.