Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bioware Magic Reduction
DrJest
post Nov 6 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,722

Okay, so this has changed since 2nd Ed, but I'm not sure I follow quite how it works now. According to Man and Machine, it causes a virtual Magic Reduction. Okay, now I'm confused, because it goes on to say that the reduced Magic Rating is used for - well, pretty much everything, as far as I can tell, but that the Magic Rating isn't actually reduced. Say what? Anyone want to enlighten me? Maybe it's just because I'm ill right now, but it makes no sense to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 6 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Man and Machine Errata v 2.0 @ http://srrpg.com/resources/errata_mm.shtml)
p. 78 Bioware and the Awakened [4]
Replace the third, fourth and fifth paragraphs with the following:

In game terms, bioware reduces an Awakened character's Magic rating in a way similar to Essence loss. Magic is reduced by the character's Bio Index divided by 2 (round down).

The effects of Bio Index and Essence reduction on Magic are cumulative, so the two should be combined before determining how Magic is affected. Magic has a starting value equal to the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down. So a starting magician with Essence 5.8 and a Bio Index of 1 begins with a Magic rating of 5 (5.8 - 0.5 = 5.3, rounded down to 5). Further increases in Bio Index (or reductions in Essence) may also affect the Magic rating whenever the total falls beneath a whole number. If the same magician later acquires more bioware, raising his Bio Index to 2, he will lose an additional point of Magic (5.8 - 1 = 4.8, rounded to 4).

Magic reduction from bioware functions like other forms of Magic loss-adepts lose some of their powers, for example. Geasa can be used to counteract magic loss from bioware and a character can still initiate to raise his Magic rating.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 6 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Ahh, cheers mate.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 6 2004, 01:43 PM
Post #4

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

The FAQ, however, still refers to the Virtual Reduction, even though the latest printing of Man and Machine has done away with that. Ignore this part of the FAQ.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 6 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I believe the intent of the earlier versions was that if the biowear was removed the bioindex and thus magic “loss” would go away.

dose the new version change this

was I wrong in the first place.

Edward

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Nov 6 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #6

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Edward)
I believe the intent of the earlier versions was that if the biowear was removed the bioindex and thus magic ?loss? would go away.

The existance of the surgical option "Bioindex Slot" indicates that your belief is wrong ...

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 6 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (Edward)
I believe the intent of the earlier versions was that if the biowear was removed the bioindex and thus magic ?loss? would go away.

The existance of the surgical option "Bioindex Slot" indicates that your belief is wrong ...

Ill pay that.

Guess that’s what I get for deciding reading the surgery rules is not a high priority.

Edward

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 6 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Don't feel too bad, Edward. A lot of people around here made the same assumption. It wasn't until a few heated threads in the past pointed that out to them that they realized the so-called "Virtual Magic Loss" was anything but virtual. (And even then they were stubborn. Damn hippies.)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Nov 6 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #9

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Yes, silly them for thinking that this virtual magic loss is *any* different from actual magic loss, especially considering that the writers put such emphasis on it not being real Magic Loss. Meh, I'm still not really content with that interpretation.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 6 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Well, since you could hit a negative Magic Attribute with it, it was technically only a virtual loss... virtual in that it doesn't actually cause you to lose magic, it just permanently lowered it.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 6 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

A negative magic attribute? Does that mean that you suck in magic like a black hole, being your own lil background count? :D

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 6 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Nope. :P Just means you can't use any magic until you initiate (you couldn't geas bioware then, either -- freakin' game designers) high enough to hit the positive numbers again.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 6 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

I was under the impression that even if you hit 0 or lower with "virtual" loss you still could use magic but it all did physical drain. A much better option than burning out, though I prefer the simpler 1/2 bioindex is real magic loss way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.