IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Black Lodge, What exactly are they about?
akarenti
post Nov 7 2004, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,785

I only have access to SR3 material and keep seeing ominous references to this "Black Lodge" as if it were common knowledge. What exactly is it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Nov 7 2004, 07:27 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

It was in the original "Threats" book.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
otaku mike
post Nov 7 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 332

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 7 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

It's a tiered initiatory group with some masonic ties and overtones. They want to control the world, oust the elves, and basically be mystical big-shots.

When I say "tiered," I mean in the old House Tremere/Golden Dawn/Pyramid Scheme/Etc. sense:

Each group has seven members. The Leader of that group is a member of another, higher group with seven members made up of other group leaders. The Leader of /that/ group is a member of a higher group, etc.

The grand-master has the benefit of being a Pure Magician. It's all good.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 7 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 7 2004, 04:21 PM)
The grand-master has the benefit of being a Pure Magician. It's all good.

Note that last bit is speculation. It's alleged that the Penultimate Master has magic abilities beyond normal humans and it's suspected he is very long lived. The France chapter of SoE underlines how subtle and discreet Black Lodge activities are, however it also suggests that the "Threats" post might have overstated their true power and influence.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Nov 7 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

I haven't read SoE yet, but why does it say that? What was wrong with the way the Black Lodge was described in Threats? I quite liked it.

Also, what's a Pure Magician? :) Someone who has both Hermetic and Shamanic abilities or something?

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 7 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Zeel De Mort @ Nov 7 2004, 07:01 PM)
I haven't read SoE yet, but why does it say that?  What was wrong with the way the Black Lodge was described in Threats?  I quite liked it.

Basically because as it stood back in Threats it was simply a big faceless magical threat with the simple goal of taking over the world. Over the years it developed somewhat, with nuances like the IOND (connection unproven) and the Lodge's hard-on against elves and slowly a few apparent contradictions have developed regarding the structure of the Black Lodge and exactly what it controls (namely with regards to the Knights Templar and the Masons). The issue of those 1331 lodges spread across the world and the power that 9331 initiates could bring to bear and how long their association could be kept secret are also factors.

While SoE doesn't contradict any of the previous information, it suggests the extent of the Lodge's power isn't as much as people have been led to believe. It's also suggested the Lodge is somehow involved with the RCC which might be one of the reasons they were associated with the Templars. Its tendrils manifest here and there.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Nov 7 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Ah okay, that makes sense I guess. I kinda jumped to the conclusion that maybe SoE played down the power that the top end of the BL has (i.e. The Penultimate Master). It would make sense to detail the goals and connections of the BL a bit more, so if SoE covers this then it's a good thing.

That's fine, I'll let you off with it this time. ;)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.