IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> to becks or not to becks, how many points should you award?
Ombre
post Nov 10 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,652

I've recently come upon the Becks system whose philosophy is very interesting...yet something is nagging me: how many points should you give for regular starting shadowrunners (by regular, I mean, equivalent to those created through BBB rules. it seems to me that with the 425 pts you get a slightly better deal...
In the Cost Tables Adept is listed as costing 60 pts, but all the examples seem to list adept as costing 75 pts...so is it 60 or 75?
Isn't the level 3 contact a bit cheap at 25 pts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 10 2004, 01:20 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Phys ads cost 75, other adepts (like sorcers) cost 60. The slightly better deal is because becks tends to produce more 'balanced' characters, with a lot of lower level skills, if you do stuff like add up the skill totals, they'll have more points in skills. Try replicating some of the min maxed point system characters and you'll run out of karma very fast.

25 points for a level three contact sounds about right, you could have 5 lvl 3 contacts for 1e6 Y in the old system, vs 120 karma for the money and 125 karma for the contacts in becks.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 10 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

See the corrected version of BeCKS v2 in HTML here.

In canon chargen, a level 3 contact is 200,000 :nuyen:. When dealing with high-resource characters (as a Face would have to be when buying contacts with nuyen), the 25 Karma of a level 3 contact in BeCKS v2 would get you 375,000 - 500,000 nuyen. So no, I don't think 25 Karma is at all cheap for a L3 contact.

BeCKS v2 with 425 Karma does not allow you to create more powerful characters overall. Some types of characters might be a bit cheaper to create -- true generalists with a crapload of mid-high rating skills, for example, or mundane humans (at least compared to Priorities). Characters with a few obscenely high attributes and skills (some troll tank builds, for example) are a bit more expensive, as might some face builds be.

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Phys ads cost 75, other adepts (like sorcers) cost 60.

Sorcerors, totem-aspected shamans (whatever they were called), etc, are Aspected Magicians, not Adepts. Adepts are just Adepts, not Physical Adepts anymore.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.