Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Controlling Drones without VCR, Is this possible .. SR-Vise
PiXeL01
post Nov 13 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,483

On the last adventure I had some none-riggers who bought some drones. Now my main problem was I couldnt remember if there was any rules for piloting drones without a VCR. Are there?

So basicly I gave them a laptop with a joystick and said they had to program it with computers with they wanted it to do something other then just hang there doing nothing when they wouldnt be controlling it.
Could someone please specify what happens after you have given a drone an order and then it leaves the network. Does it a) drop dead or b) carry out the last command? Giving me pages to read in Rigger3 or BBB works fine for me :)

Another thing happened. Their rigger's RCdeck got fried and they had a drone hanging in midair which the group wanted down again. Now if you have the frequences is it then easy to "hijack" it or do you still need all that extra electronic warfare gear to bring the drone down to earth?

Thank you in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 13 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

There are ways. Look up Captain's Chair Mode. Short answer is that the drone rolls its Pilot Rating for most tasks instead of the user using the relevant skill. Captain's Chair is available to Riggers as well, of course.

An uncontrolled drone will continue following its last orders or find a safe place to deactivate, IIRC.

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 13 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

On the last adventure I had some none-riggers who bought some drones. Now my main problem was I couldnt remember if there was any rules for piloting drones without a VCR. Are there?

Yeah. Deckers can do it with a Rig Emulator and Remote Control Emulation Utility.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 13 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

IIRC you can control a vehicle remotely with the Remote Control Deck (I had a merc mage who owned a helicopter with that option), but I wouldn't want to risk doing anything significant with it.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 13 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

As to the fried deck and getting your drone back down I would say you would need to do much of the electronic warfare.

There are lots of frequencies and in order to be secure the access codes would need to be farley long so remembering them would be a bitch. However as the controlling deck is not active I would say you are rolling to take over a network that has a rating 0 deck with flux 0 and automatically gets 0 successes on all the opposed rolls. So unless I am mistaken you need to make 3 electronic warfare tests against target 0 (2) to get into the system and then a couple more to take control of the drones.

Unless there was some reason for hast (more successes reduces time) or you have negligible skill (2 or less or your defaulting) I would not bother to have you roll.

If you keep a second deck loaded with your codes for just such an eventuality then it would be automatic. But remember, what if an enemy gets access to that deck.

Edward

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 13 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Then you're already dead, unless you're being careless.

~J

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 13 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #7

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

So long as the character has a datajack, Captain's chair mode is availiable. The joystick-and-laptop rig was removed in 3rd ed.

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Nov 14 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

A major benifit from not rigging when using drones is dumpshock. Because you're not plugged into them, if one dies, you go "drek, that's another 5000 :nuyen: from the chip.' When you're plugged into a drone and it dies, you go 'sizzle sizzle, oh, my head.'

This leads to a wonderful use to non-rigged drones. Demolitions. Strap some C4 to a drone, and drive it off under somebody's car, then boom. Or strap some neurostun X to it, and deploy as you drive it through the air shafts of a building.

+Quote Post
PiXeL01
post Nov 15 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,483

So basicly it comes down to you CANT control drones without owning a remote control deck and you do not receive a rating 1 which is hardcoded to the drone's frequencies, when you purchase the drone?

Well thank you all for your feedback :)

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Nov 15 2004, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

Course, an RC car that you buy at radio shack has a rating 0.5 remote control deck that comes with it, which is tied to a preset frequency.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 15 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

But the top of the line remote control plane you by at a dedicated hobby store often dose not come with a remote control at all. At least today.

Edward

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 15 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

I am considering a Samurai with a Combat Computer, CRD and a few remote camera/sensor drones to help make it more efficient. Wouldn't need to do too much more than just deploy and position.

+Quote Post
DigitalMage
post Nov 16 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 340

QUOTE (Cain)
The joystick-and-laptop rig was removed in 3rd ed.

By default it was removed, but I think Rigger 3 Revised allows you to add manual controls on afterward.

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 16 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,670

I figure as long as the drone has a microphone system you can. I does involve you yelling at it a lot and it uses its autopilot to do all tasks, so it sucks.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 16 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

By default all drones (and anything else with Sensors 1 or higher) has a "microphone system."

+Quote Post
DarkShade
post Nov 16 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,700

umm.. 2 sessions ago the rigger had to leave some drones fighting alone while he was doing something else..

we came to one conclusion..

drones, when fighting people, suck horribly. they cant hit the broad side of a barn, and any hits they may get will likely be dodged away.

they are good at suppressive fire and at tying up defenders as it is easy to give them enough armor to make them invulnerable to small arms fire.
this makes their use a bit limited if not under rigger control..
<that said, they are great at bringing tool x to team mate y in location z... >
Ds

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 16 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #17

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

So, Darkshade, were you correctly using the rules and giving the drones a TN of 2 or 3 pretty much always? because if the drone has direct LOS to the target it's either a -3 or -4 TN (I can't recall which) that really isn't modified by squat. A good drone can be a horrible efficient thing at killing. Especially being able to throw a LOT of lead without recoil penalties.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 16 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

~J

+Quote Post
DarkShade
post Nov 16 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,700

base tn: 4, add urban environment, +2, Direct LOS mod the book specifically states they dont get , and is reserved for things like flying targets firing at vehicles with no cover nearby and such.

so tn for a drone shooting at you at nearly any situation is 6.

however even before it starts shooting at you it has to get a lock on you with a sensor test, which costs an action!! <sensor enhanced gunnery rules>

they have no pools, just their basic skill, which is, crap. <iirc = autopilot rating> & they end up with a single success if very lucky.. dodge away.

not sure why you cant mount one of the automated turrets mentioned in SR3 on a drone.. those are FAR better.. then again, perhaps too good for this :)

now unbless I have seriously misunderstood something, drones are just not that great when uncontrolled.... & sensor enhanced gunnery isnt that great against people.

DS

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Nov 16 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

It was my

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Nov 16 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

/my

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 16 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

You can improve there skill a lot with a clear sight and gunnery auto soft. Especially good seeing you only need to pay for the software once (although each drone needs its own auto soft interpretation module).

Edward

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 16 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #23

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Why do you think you have to pay for the software once? you need one copy for each drone you plan to put it in.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 16 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

No, you can upload a copy of an Autosoft to each drone individually. It's just like downloading a Skillsoft to headware memory.

+Quote Post
iPad
post Nov 16 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,671

It depend if its been coded to disrupt any copies (SR rule book). THe 'one copy' programs are cheaper if I remember right.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.