IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just had the most fun I have had in a long time., Run report and questions.
Edward
post Nov 16 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,587

Just had the most fun I have had in a long time.
Run report and questions.

I just finished a session where we started a run into the renraku arcology (stupid computer can’t spell these words and I have no books with me)

The GM is using the rescue an ex-resident’s wife plot suggestion. No spoilers pleas I was just having a lot of fun with it. All I knew about the arcolojy was what I read here and the drone designs where a lot of fun. (ok the character was week in the knees but I was having a ball) it is rare for a GM to actually manage to scare my characters (without resorting to magical fear effects).

I suffered my first rule of one incident (stupid 1 dice in computing) it wasn’t anything serious I just considered the idea of an expert system that could run the entire arcology to be bordering on the ludicrous. About as likely as an AI spontaneously evolving. This is so much fun.

What however do you do when you asses the emotional state of your fellow runners (using astral observation) and realise your the only one on the teem with butterflies in his stomach on entering the most secure living structure in the city if not the world.

a) Be reassured you have such stable backup
b) Worry about your ability to do your job on the mission
c) Worry that you are running with a pare of psychos that out gun you by about 300 rounds to 1 (being a mage with only 6 clips of ammunition and ally being a rigger with 6 drones)
d) Take some other action (pleas specify)

when faced with a room containing between 600 and 2000 enemy drones (the type with limbs and 5 tails) do you.

a) Charge in and initiate melee
b) Have a drone stand in the doorway and block there advance engaging with all manner of attacks (guns, grenades)
c) Close and lock the door
d) As c but have a spirit scrag the lock so it will not open for anybody (ruled possible)
e) Try to disable some of them hoping the destruct charges will set up a wave of sympathetic explosions, while your near by.
f) Try to sneak past them.

Well thanks for reading my ramble. SR is great fun.

Edward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Nov 16 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

Holy Hell, 600-2000 drones?
Retreat, quietly put C12 on the structural supports and collapse the fsking floor on them.

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Nov 16 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

1:D
Your running with a pair of cold, emotionless and hollow runners. Give them a lecture in letting their feelings flow, or something equally fluffy.

2:C, D if you have the ability. 600-2000 drones is a challenge for an army.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 16 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

First question: C.

Second question, D, D, D, D, D again, and then D some more. When you're sick and tired of it, D for a change.

~J

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Nov 16 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

Or, you could run. RUN!!

The best option would be to evade them altogether, how is it possible to stumble into 2000 drones?

600 and 2000 enemy drones (the type with limbs and 5 tails)

Now that's a lot of tails.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 16 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Edward)
when faced with a room containing between 600 and 2000 enemy drones (the type with limbs and 5 tails) do you.

Run, call your decker friend, have your decker friend get you plane tickets to New Zealand, never speak of the room again, die of old age.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Nov 16 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

b) Have a drone stand in the doorway and block there advance engaging with all manner of attacks (guns, grenades)
d) As c but have a spirit scrag the lock so it will not open for anybody (ruled possible)
e) Try to disable some of them hoping the destruct charges will set up a wave of sympathetic explosions, while your near by.

um...I'll take G) Slam the door shut Daffy Duck style and go to another room with the right teleportal room in it.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 16 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

I don’t think we where ever expected to fight the large room of drones. (it may only have been 400-1000, I am a little iffy on the exact range I was making coffee at the time)

Options PCs actually considered included b, e and we finally settled on c then d because I had the spirit scrag the lock and then told the Johnson (ex red samury wanted to come with and knew the terrain) to recommend another method of entry.

I was a little concerned about the GM PC issue but the Johnson is good. He doesn’t take attention away from the players or overshadow our abilities but doesn’t require mollycoddling for his safety. And there is somebody that knows the way around

Edward

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 16 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

If this is a normal runner team, and those are really Medusae, running ought to be SOP when encountering more than four. Also when encountering more than two and not having the drop on them.

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 16 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #10

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Why? They just want to be your friend. Deus has your best interest at heart. Deus cares. Long live overlord Deus!

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 16 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Why? They just want to be your friend. Deus has your best interest at heart. Deus cares. Long live overlord Deus!

*slap slap*

Lay off the drugs!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 16 2004, 08:04 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

The Computer is your friend, citizen. You aren't cleared for knowledge of drugs.

~J

+Quote Post
Deadeye
post Nov 16 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,793

"Oh computer, I, your faithful servant, have rooted out the Commie Mutie traitors that are discussing forbidden subjects. As such, I, Deadeyeblue123, faithful and loving servant of the all-knowing Computer, will dispatch these awful traitors by shooting such trouble the moment spot it, which happens to be now!
Prepare to be atomized, commie mutie secret society traitors to the glorious computer!

Um, where did they go?"

God, I miss Paranoia :D . Haven't played that game in over a decade, but nothing made for a better one-shot break from a regular campaign than finding trouble and shooting it.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 16 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

How much armor does medusae have? I dont even think a weapon you can realistically carry in there can hurt them.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Nov 16 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (BitBasher)
How much armor does medusae have? I dont even think a weapon you can realistically carry in there can hurt them.

Well, some medusae have armor ratings of 4, making them (mildly) vulnerable to heavy pistol fire. Some, however, have two additional points of ablative armor, giving them an effective armor rating of 8.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 16 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Edward)

Well thanks for reading my ramble. SR is great fun.

Edward

Learn the all powerful spell "Create (Rocking Chair)."

Barring that, I'd suggest you find an altrenate route.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 17 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Well, some medusae have armor ratings of 4, making them (mildly) vulnerable to heavy pistol fire.

9M becomes 4L when adjusted for vehicleness, which is bounced by 4 points of armor.

~J

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Nov 17 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #18

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

There is no option C...

The only option is to toss in a pair of thermal nuclear grenades and run like hell. Then have the airforce Carpet bomb the whole area. It's the only way to be sure. <shrug>

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Nov 17 2004, 02:59 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

Trouble is, this is the Renraku Arcology.
Carpet bombs tickle.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 17 2004, 03:22 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Shadow)
There is no option C...

The only option is to toss in a pair of thermal nuclear grenades and run like hell. Then have the airforce Carpet bomb the whole area. It's the only way to be sure. <shrug>

"Nothing personal..."

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 17 2004, 04:07 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

We had previously met a single medusa and proved able to despatch it. 2 of the drones where the GM’s SC series design (ripped of the short cirket movies) and have mechanical arms and the melee contest became a mater of medusa cant hurt the SC and the SC will occasionally scratch the medusa. Then another PC went into melee with hand blades and finished it off. (duel hand blades are useful).

We also managed to secure 1000 rounds of AV assault rifle rounds. Unfortunately only the drones and the Johnson use assault rifles.

When the Johnson was later in melee with a different drone and needed rescuing I decided the best I could do was cast armour on him. Shooting is not really my thing.

Edward

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Nov 17 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

QUOTE (Edward)
We had previously met a single medusa and proved able to despatch it. 2 of the drones where the GM’s SC series design (ripped of the short cirket movies) and have mechanical arms and the melee contest became a mater of medusa cant hurt the SC and the SC will occasionally scratch the medusa. Then another PC went into melee with hand blades and finished it off. (duel hand blades are useful).

Deus is going to be pissed when he finds out that Johnny 5 can kick his robot's asses. :D

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Nov 17 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

You know, it would have served the GM right if you guys picked a fight with 400 drones...make him roll 400 initiatives in battle. *cackle*

Of course, you wouldn't last one initiative pass, so it may be moot.

Gah, what floor were you on? I know the arcology fairly well, and can't even imagine what floor you'd be on.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 17 2004, 06:57 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

A lot of floors have that kind of space. The implication is that this is their entrance, though, so probably the basement or first floor.

~J

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Nov 17 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

I can imagine 30-50 in any particular place on the first couple of floors, and even in the basement levels (certain areas). But not 400-1000 in one room. Even the parking garages should have max 100 wandering around. Besides, I always felt the medusae were not the common drone wandering around - that would be the spiders. The medusae were the shock troops, so there shouldn't be that many wandering around.

Eh...but that's my fertile imagination. Each GM to his own, I suppose...I know I wouldn't mess around with a room with that many medusae...that's a sign I need to go on vacation to Hawai'i or something.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.