Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Go Directly To Jail, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect 200 nuyen
Ancient History
post Nov 16 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

What do you do while in prison? Follow "Sparky's" career!

Manage Your Resources
Maybe Sparky is an unregistered magician, who's turned a shiv into a simple weapon focus and used Tattoo Magic to quicken a few spells on him with some cool prison tats!

Put That Time To Good Use
Prisons are full of people with interesting skills and experiences and lots of time on your hands. With a bit of incentive, you can learn all sorts of little tricks, like Decking, talislegging, and law! Be careful, remember these are the people who got caught!

Meet Friends And Influence People
Sparky went into prison along, now he needs to join a gang. Previous gang affiliation helps, but any connections--especially to the mobs--will make Sparky's life a lot easier! When he's finally a free man again, his gang connections will lean on him, and you bet he'll deliver in case he ever goes back in again!

Add your own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Nov 16 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

Make quick friends with the resident Troll smasher as to make his aquantence in other means could prove to be quite uncomfortable.

-Like the back of a volkswagon.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Nov 16 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Utilize the extensive prison library to study all sorts of interesting stuff: psychology, folklore and mythology, archeaology, spell design, etc. All sorts of knowledge skills could be learned that when one is released can become useful.

+Quote Post
BaronJ
post Nov 16 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 2,020

Drek, use that prison library, and the copious amounts of free time to earn yourself a nice doctorate degree (Rank:6 in any particular knowledge skill) and a killer bod (Athletics or Bod increase, anyone?)

Everyone knows that modern prisons are there entirely to make faster, stronger, better criminals. That's why most of the 'Star shoot first and get interrogated later... they don't want to face the competition.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 16 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Stumps)
Make quick friends with the resident Troll smasher as to make his aquantence in other means could prove to be quite uncomfortable.

-Like the back of a volkswagon.

Especially if said troll has "call me but(t) love" tatooed on his knuckles :wobble:

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 16 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Prisons don't just churn out "better criminals." Some prisoners take the time to get better at a life skill and drop their criminal acts, even after they leave.

+Quote Post
iPad
post Nov 16 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,671

Most runners are massively more dangerious than any random prisoner, so would probably not have to worry about soap dropping or working alone in the laundry room. Any good runners makes it very hard for the cops to pin anything on them anyway.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 16 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (iPad)
Most runners are massively more dangerious than any random prisoner, so would probably not have to worry about soap dropping or working alone in the laundry room. Any good runners makes it very hard for the cops to pin anything on them anyway.

Heh. Riiight. Runners that are careful and subtle and paranoid. :D

1) Proclaim innocence.
2) Behave and pay your lawyer. Lots.
When that fails...
3) Make friends with the "guy who can get stuff."
4) Ask for a rock hammer
5) Learn math so you can manage the books for the corrupt warden thats too cheap and lazy to hire another (criminal) accountant.
6) Spend nights slowly tunneling out of your cell.
7) Spend days emptying the crushed rock from said cell into the yard. Two pocketfuls at a time.
8 ) Repeat steps 6 and 7 for 20 years.
9) Crawl through 200 meters of raw sewege to freedom. (remember to put "get away" clothes and shoes in bag)
10) Enjoy the spoils of managing the books for the corrupt warden.

Alternately:
1) Throw old character out.
2) Make new character.
3) Rinse, lather, repeat as neccessary until you have learned how to not get caught so much. (maybe watch Ronin a few times...)

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Nov 16 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #9

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

My Uncle spent 5 years in a prison in Kentucky. He told me to do the following to avoid being anyones woman.

On the first day, during lunch, find the biggest, baddest guy in the joint. Once you have found him, attack him and act insane.

Once you have achieved this either through being beaten to a pulp or through victory you will achieve some respect.

My plan (if for some reason I do go) is to spend the time in solitaire.

+Quote Post
iPad
post Nov 16 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

The difference between a shadowrunner and Andy Dufresne is one is innosent and has certain unique savey, the other is guilty of alot of stuff and has the savey of a player.

My player character would just pay for a top notch lawyer or settle out of court. Failing that his maths SPU would make tax returns easy. Alough I think any character with an essence less than four would probably go on a special wing with special explosive cuffs.

BTW what do they actually do with people with illegal cyberware? Remove it?

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 16 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (iPad)
The difference between a shadowrunner and Andy Dufresne is one is innosent and has certain unique savey, the other is guilty of alot of stuff and has the savey of a player.

What? You've never seen the Flaw: Pacifist, Dove Shaman that just "fell in with the wrong crowd." :D They seem to be all over the place around here...and always carring a gun (or two), just in case.

The list was joke, obviously, but I guess any runner capable of keeping his nose clean and playing nice should be able to pull off the sham. Then again, if a runner was that good he/she probably wouldn't have gotten caught in the first place...Which is what said to begin with.

BTW what do they actually do with people with illegal cyberware? Remove it?

There's rules somewhere. I think, like most things based in governmental beauracracy (sp), its all about cost effectiveness. If its cheaper to just disable (jackstopper, etc.) they probably go with that. Most of the other stuff that's lethal I think gets removed and I thought there was some obscure reference to sadistic juridictions using surgery to purposely cause essence loss in mages.

Speaking of mages, in AH's first post he mentioned if Sparky was a mage he could use all that time to study. How do they handle mages, exactly? They can't leave the Magemask-thingy on for years at a streatch, can they? Or drugs that reduce the poor sap to a drooling...well, sap, can they?

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Nov 16 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #12

Mags would probably get special prisons. Warded walls, astral guards. Maybe a room with no windows and the the bacteria in the walls to prevent astral. Each mage could have a watcher assigned to it, and if they tried to cast spells or go astral the watcher could let the handler know.

They could have some sort of collar that could zap the mage if he tried to use spell casting. Or maybe they leave the mage mask on 24/7. It isn't exactly in-humane.

What about trolls? You wouldn't them in with the GP. They would run a prison, they are practically invulnerable to non cybered/adept humans.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 17 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #13

Runner

Shadow
Posted on Nov 16 2004, 07:57 PM

Mags would probably get special prisons. Warded walls, astral guards. Maybe a room with no windows and the the bacteria in the walls to prevent astral.

Ahh, the "Magneato-treatment." Good call.

They could have some sort of collar that could zap the mage if he tried to use spell casting. Or maybe they leave the mage mask on 24/7. It isn't exactly in-humane.

Aren't those the things that can cause insanity from overstimulation? Like the room in The House on Haunted Hill?
Or are they a sense-dep hood and I'm confused?

Good point about the Trolls. Even cybered/adept norms would have a pretty tough time with just the Sprawl Ganger archtype from the BBB (assuming no firearms and even then...)

What's the pay rate for a CO in the Troll wing of Oz?

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Nov 17 2004, 12:10 AM

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Nov 17 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #14

You could put a mage in a ruthium pollymer type hood, but instead of making his head invisible, it projects whats on the outside of the mask, to the inside. Since it is electronic magnification he would be unable to cast spells through it.

Damn thats a good idea.

+Quote Post
iPad
post Nov 17 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shadow)
You could put a mage in a ruthium pollymer type hood, but instead of making his head invisible, it projects whats on the outside of the mask, to the inside. Since it is electronic magnification he would be unable to cast spells through it.

Damn thats a good idea.

A cheaper option would be a set of vid goggles and a microcam built into each side, and a 10S electro shocker built in if anyone tampers with it.

Also there is a drug which makes it impossible to concentrate (+10 to all target numbers).

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 17 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (Shadow)

Damn thats a good idea.

Pure genuis. :notworthy:

Better write that baby down and snail mail it to yourself until you can tell FanPro. :)

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Nov 17 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Depending on how strong your chummers were, I'd consider having my character plan to bust me out (also depending on how long the stint is). If its a matter of something less than a year, I'd probably do the self betterment thing for my character.

Guess it would be a good time to build a new character and utilize the character pool idea.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Nov 17 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (Shadow)

Damn thats a good idea.

Pure genuis. :notworthy:

Better write that baby down and snail mail it to yourself until you can tell FanPro. :)

Is it? I thought ruthenium requires light to work correctly. By this rationale, it would be far better to just put a black sack over the mage's head, no?

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 17 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #19

Runner

I like the goggles idea too. Especially from a cost effective point of view. You could still use the ruthenium thing if your running high tech/high level group. To go you one better, you could ship your magically active prisoners off world (a la Fortress II).

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Nov 17 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Heh, space prison. :D

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Nov 17 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #21

You could but that would be inhumane. A ruthyium would let the mage walk around and interact with virtually no impact other than he cant cast spells.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 17 2004, 01:05 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

It isn't really inhumane. If the mage insists on opening himself up to the Astral, that isn't the (space) prison's fault.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 17 2004, 01:06 AM
Post #23

Runner

I think he ment the sack.

+Quote Post
Syndicate
post Nov 17 2004, 01:30 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 6,334

Ah, Prison...there's a lot to be said about prison, but the most interesting thread that showed up was what would happen to magically active prisoners...you better
believe that the gov will do all it can to make the mage/shaman/adept-whatever "see the light" and work for them...afterall, magicians being such a rarity they are highly sought after prizes, much like the "hackers" of the nineties..you know, those 16 year old kids who hacked AT&T or the Pentagon and got nabbed, only to be offered "consulting" jobs afterward by their captors.

As for the rest of us mundane-types, Prison is a rampant testing ground (today) of psychological warfare strategies (like the women's prison in Lexington, KY that got shut down by Congressional order when it was revealed that political prisoners were being tortured with mind-control tactics to see if their minds could be "changed"). The prison industry is the fastest growing industry in the United States (at least it was in '99). The trend now is privatization, where corps take over the prison and turn it into a sweat shop. Anyone like a shadowrunner caught by the gov or the corp or whomever would be far too valuable to be put into a sweat shop....that's where all those low-level thugs go, the typically black youths.

You'd better believe that they'd be out on work-release real quick....

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 17 2004, 01:35 AM
Post #25

Runner

As of last year, the largest growing employer area is higher education. I guess that's a good sign...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.