IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Super Running And Traceless Walk, Tearing up the streets...
Kyuhan
post Nov 17 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,628

I remember reading a thread on here a long time ago (back in my lurking days) about some people who got their physads/horse shamans/whatever able to run at like 1000 kmh with the movement power etc. Anyhoo, long story short, my question is this: You have a character who can run that fast (go you!), when he physically runs, (as opposed to running the shadows :P ) does pounding his feet into the pavement at the speed of sound tear it up and leave smoldering trenches behind him? And if so, would the traceless walk power cancel out said smoldering trenches, or would that be beyond it's threshold (maybe it should be levelled :dead: )?

If none of the above made any sense, feel free to make disgruntled noises.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tjn
post Nov 17 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

You're applying rules meant to portray events to an entirely different scale then the intended scope. Rules in which model reality will always break down at the absolute extremes and not seem "realistic," and that's because the rules were never meant to model those situations in the first place.

Short answer: According to Canon, no, the Speed Freak will not cause damage, and yes, the Traceless Walk power would be enough to cover it. As Canon was never meant to cover Adept Ghouled Night Ones with Satyr Legs of the Magician's Path with the Movement Metamagic, one could say it's fully within the GM's right to do whatever he wants.

Including forcing the player to say "Meep, Meep!" every time he ran.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 17 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

But, would that Meep, Meep geas also grant the metamagic technique of running into tunnels painted on walls?

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Nov 17 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Well, my kinda serious question has just been damned to kinda-serious-question-hell. :P

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 17 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Two words: It's magic. Quit trying to apply the reprecussions of physics to it. It's magic.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 17 2004, 02:19 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Your 'kinda serious' question was answered in the first response.

By canon, no ... there would be no flaming trenches left behind, so whether or not the Traceless Walk Power would cover them is moot.

I do like the 'meep meep' Geas though. :D

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 17 2004, 02:19 PM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (tjn)
As Canon was never meant to cover Adept Ghouled Night Ones with Satyr Legs of the Magician's Path with the Movement Metamagic, one could say it's fully within the GM's right to do whatever he wants.

No? Then perhaps you'd care to explain why by Canon you may have an Adept Ghouled Night Ones with Satyr Legs of the Magician's Path with the Movement Metamagic?

Besides, it is the GM's right to do whatever he wants.

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Nov 17 2004, 02:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Insomnia+Bored+Quirky Subconcious=Weird question about superfast magical footprints. It's my way.

+Quote Post
tjn
post Nov 17 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
But, would that Meep, Meep geas also grant the metamagic technique of running into tunnels painted on walls?

I'd envision the painting of tunnels would itself be a geas on some sort of Selective Astral Gateway power. :D

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
It's magic

It's never just magic. It just follows it's own rules. Rules that make no sense from a "normal" perspective.

QUOTE (Fortune)
I do like the 'meep meep' Geas though.  :D

Thanks, heh. I applied it to my own speed freak Adept. Could also steal from Speedy Gonzalez if the character is from Aztlan. :P

QUOTE (toturi)
No? Then perhaps you'd care to explain why by Canon you may have an Adept Ghouled Night Ones with Satyr Legs of the Magician's Path with the Movement Metamagic?

By Canon, I meant specifically the rules for PC movement and how the Speed Freak is beyond the intended scope of those rules, and not whether or not the Speed Freak is a valid character. I apologize for the confusion, and hope that it is a bit clearer.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Nov 17 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Kyuhan)
does pounding his feet into the pavement at the speed of sound tear it up and leave smoldering trenches behind him?

You'd only need a few hundred or few thousand pounds of thrust to get something as unaerodynamic as a human to 1000kph (less than mach 1) at sea level (assuming no drag reduction thanks to magic).

The force exerted on concrete or pavement would not be damaging. A few hundred horsepower going through the wheels of a sportscar or semi pulling away from a stoplight would exert more stress on the ground.

However, that much shearing force on sod, sand, or other non-paved surfaces might generate quite a rooster tail of dust. Meep, meep indeed.

On second thought, the magic that accelerates the person from 30kph to 1000kph might be supplying the drag-fighting force, and thus all the thrust will NOT be transmitted through the shoes of the speedster, and thus any ground would be safe. Instead of traceless walk, perhaps you should consider some water walking spell and review "Dash's" performance in the Incredibles.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 17 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (tjn)
It's never just magic. It just follows it's own rules. Rules that make no sense from a "normal" perspective.

Which, even by that definition, makes it just magic. Like you said, it follows its own rules. Physics have next to nothing to do with it.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Nov 17 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

I know I was part of that speed freak discussion or one of them. Or I had one during a table game one day.... BUT!

I have a question.

What kind of fragging shoes would you need to wear to avoid wearing them out, and having enough traction and grip to not slam into a wall while trying to stop.

Also would there be any bonus to your unarmed attack Power for a flying tackle at 600kph?

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Nov 17 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #13

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

I might fudge the rules and just used the veich. collision rules. but at 600kph, its pretty much "Ok, you run into a troll, you resist 25+his body D, he resists 25+your body D. You both splat."

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Nov 17 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

You know, I never thought of the movement power as actually making you run like the flash. I thought of it more as "hey, how did I just cover that mile in three minutes? I was jogging!" Go go magic.

JaronK

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 17 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (CoalHeart)
Also would there be any bonus to your unarmed attack Power for a flying tackle at 600kph?

You get +2 to the power for a charging attack.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Nov 17 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (CoalHeart)
What kind of fragging shoes would you need to wear to avoid wearing them out, and having enough traction and grip to not slam into a wall while trying to stop.

After thinking about this question, I'm going with my earlier second thought:

"On second thought, the magic that accelerates the person from 30kph to 1000kph might be supplying the drag-fighting force, and thus all the thrust will NOT be transmitted through the shoes of the speedster, and thus any ground would be safe.

This would prevent the shoes from being shredded. After all, it's the magic moving the person, not 300-horsepower legs and feet.

+Quote Post
tjn
post Nov 17 2004, 04:05 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (JaronK)
You know, I never thought of the movement power as actually making you run like the flash. I thought of it more as "hey, how did I just cover that mile in three minutes? I was jogging!" Go go magic.

JaronK

I think it would be a matter of perception and interpretation.

One person might view it as the Flash, another like the jogging with the distance just melting away, a third might view it as a single step between two places, and a fourth might invision it a la the full body astral teleport.

The capabilities would be the same, the effect is the same, and it follows the same exact rules gamewise for each interpretation. It's just the "fluff" is different.

Then again, I'm a proponent of the UMT.

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Nov 18 2004, 02:51 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

UMT?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 18 2004, 02:51 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Unified Magical Theory. See SOTA:2064 for more information.

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Nov 18 2004, 06:43 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

No SOTA'64 here yet, not in my cracker ass little hamlet where the mail never comes, thanks tho. :spin:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.