> [SoA2064] infusion foci and improved attribute, the official werd
mfb
post Nov 18 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (mfb)
how do Infusion Foci work with Improved Physical Attribute, and other adept powers whose price may vary from adept to adept (i can't think of any others off the top of my head, but they might be out there)? for instance, a human adept with Str 6 would have to pay 2 power points to get 2 points Improved Physical Attribute (Strength), whereas an adept with Str 4 or lower would only have to pay 1 point for the same power. would an Infusion Focus for Improved Physical Attribute simply represent a power point investment in a specific power? so, that, say an Infusion Focus with 1 power point's worth of Improved Physical Attribute (Str) would provide 2 points of extra Str to an adept with Str 4 or lower, and 1 point of extra Str to an adept with Str 6+? in this scenario, i suppose an adept with Str 5 would get slightly shafted; he'd be able to get 1 point of extra Str at 0.5pp, but the other 0.5pp invested in the power would basically go to waste. the advantage i see to this method is that it keeps the advantage of an Infusion Focus in line with the base power; adepts can't get around the increased cost just by buying an Infusion Focus. also, it seems to match the way Infusion Foci work, since Infusion Foci have a force based on the number of power points invested in them. the disadvantage is that different adepts get different utility of out the statistically identical foci, which seems a bit off.

the other possibility i see is that the power point cost of the power invested in the Infusion Focus is based on the attribute of the adept who created the focus. an Infusion Focus created by an adept with Str 6, which provides 2 points of Improved Physical Attribute (Str), would be a force 4 focus (since the power point cost for the adept would have been 2), while the same focus created by an adept with Str 4 would be force 2 (since the power point cost for that adept would be 1). regardless, any adept who picked up either focus would gain 2 points of extra Str, no matter what his base Str is. the advantage i see to this method lies in the the ease of use and the utility of Infusion Foci; the same force focus provides the same advantage to any adept who picks it up. this disadvantage is that, depending on the creator, you might have two foci with identical powers, but differing forces (and therefore price and bonding cost).

those are the two possible ways to handle it that i can think of. any feedback or advice you can offer would be appreciated.

and the reply:
QUOTE (ShadowFAQ)
Hi mfb,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You raise some very good questions. I like your first solution a lot. The second one seems like it would be abused by the players.

I'll also suggest a third option. You can have two levels of foci available for Improved Strength (for example). The cheaper ones only help in raising your attribute only up to the normal racial limit, and use the lower point cost. The more expensive ones can raise it beyond the normal maximum.

Of these three alternatives, I like your first solution the best. Final choice, of course, goes with your GM.

Good luck,
--ShadowFaq
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.