IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wow, I just realized that you can't make an M15, using firearm customization from CC
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 21 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

I was sitting down this evening and decided it would be fun to make a M15 rifle using the firearms customization rules in Cannon Companion.

However, I found out that it's actually impossible to do this for two reasons:
1.) It seems impossible to remove BF mode from any given firearm frame. Although the Full Auto customization on page 82 removes Burst Fire, it only affects pistols or SMGs, apparently.
2.) Getting 20 ammo capacity just from the frame seems to be impossible for the frames that would be appropriate for an M15. But I guess that could probably be remedied by the Extended Clip mod on pg. 81. However, it seems like you'd have to carefully select a base ammo capacity less than 20 rounds for that to work.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get around problem number 1, which seems like the biggest obstacle? Or is it...impossible! (doomed, doomed, dooooomed!)

(It seems like you could achieve 20 round magazine and SA/FA fire modes using the submachinegun frame, but that would be really really inappropriate for a M15.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 21 2004, 05:46 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

1) Use the DP cost but reverse all the other characteristics for adding BF to your frame via the Firing Mode design option.

2) The Improved Ammo Capacity design option is only used with internal magazines (like what many shotguns use) or cylinder-fed weapons. Weapons with the Ammo Type of Clip use the Extended Clip customization option. If you're concerned by the lack of a change in the Concealability the latter option lacks, just follow the same Concealability rules as the Improved Ammo Capacity option. If you're worried because the base Ammo count is higher than what you're looking for, either follow the advice in #1 and apply it to the Extended Clips option, or just lower it to your preference.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 21 2004, 05:58 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Out of curiosity, why an M15?

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Nov 21 2004, 07:21 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

What is an M15?

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 21 2004, 07:30 AM
Post #5

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Perhaps he means AR15?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 21 2004, 07:35 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no, he meant M15. or, well, he could have. the M15 looks like an M16, but it's chambered in 7.62mm. it has single-shot and full-auto. honestly, with the 7.62mm round, i'd be inclined to classify an M15 as an LMG, not an AR. the M15 was intended for use as a SAW, after all.

info. make sure your pop-up blockers are on.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 21 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Arethusa @ Nov 21 2004, 12:58 AM)
Out of curiosity, why an M15?

Because I enjoy throwing in classic guns sometimes to my shadowrun games.

In the past, I would simply arbitrarily write up a set of stats to represent, say, a Grease Gun or something and give it to an NPC.

But I figured it would be cool to design an M15 that theoretically PCs could legally buy/start with.

And yes, I meant M15, not AR15. It wouldn't be hard to make an AR15 with the customization rules, since the AR15 would just have some minor variations on the Assault Rifle frame, probably. Besides, M15s are much cooler. It seems like whenever you talk to a Vietnam Vet who used both the M15 and the old M16A1, they seem to universally think the M15 is a better rifle.

I was rather grappling with the issue on how to port the power and feel of a classic battle rifle to SR.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 21 2004, 08:31 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

i never make battle rifles with the AR frame. i always go with either a sport rifle frame, or an LMG frame.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 21 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Daniel E. Watters @ http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw-1.html)
The T44E4 and T44E5 rifles are adopted as "US Rifles, 7.62mm M14 and M15." (None of the heavy barrel M15 will ever be produced for issue prior to the M15 being declared obsolete in December 1959.)

Similar notes are included in the World.Guns.Ru page for the M14 ("The M15, a heavy barreled weapon, however, was never brought into production.") and elsewhere. This causes me to wonder how there can possibly be a number of Vietnam veterans who have fired one.

It also seems pretty weird that anyone can simply say the M15 is "better" than the M16A1, since they are so obviously different -- the M15 is basically a SAW, the modernized version of the BAR, while the M16A1 is just an assault rifle. The M15 is definitely not a "classic battle rifle", the M14 is.

Since the M15 was a SAW version with a heavy, quick-change barrel, an integral bipod and other modifications on the M14 to allow for more sustained fire, using the LMG frame might work better in this case. Sport Rifle doesn't work too well, because it only allows SA/BF and not SA/FA -- although the LMG doesn't actually allow SA/FA either.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 21 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

You are looking for something that gives SA/BF/FA. Remember BF in SR is not always a fire setting.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 21 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (toturi)
Remember BF in SR is not always a fire setting.

Sorry? BF is definitely always a separate mode of fire that the weapon either is or is not capable of. In SR, that is.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Nov 21 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the argument is that one can fire short bursts (with brief trigger pulls) with an M-15 IRL. (Making its IRL modes (SA/?)BF/FA) Forgive my unfamiliarity with the weapon.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 21 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Well, yeah, you could say that about every and each weapon capable of fully automatic fire -- apart perhaps from miniguns.

...And looking at the canon weapon lists it hits me that there is not a single SA/FA only small arm. Which makes sense. So, OK, these weapons certainly can and maybe should have SA/BF/FA in SR.

I'm pretty sure by now that Wounded Ronin actually meant an M14, though.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 21 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #14

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, i theory you can pull of a BF useing FA in sr to. i think the lowest number of rounds that can be fired in FA is 3 (excluding stuff like running out of ammo). your wasteing a good action tho...

+Quote Post
lodestar
post Nov 21 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

This looks like an "Ask Raygun" thread. ;)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 21 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

there are two significant differences between firing three rounds in BF and three rounds in FA. one, you can't aim and shoot three rounds using FA during a single initiative pass; firing any number of rounds in FA is a complex action. two, you can't call your shot with FA fire.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 21 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

And the fact it's a 5 round minium

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 21 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

If you use the logic that any FA-capable weapon can be fired just 3 rounds at a time and thus all FA-capable weapons should automatically have a BF-mode available as well, then it should not require a Switch Mode action to change between firing BF and FA. This is why it's a bit weird that all FA-capable weapons in SR are in fact BF-capable as well.

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
And the fact it's a 5 round minium

No such restriction exists, at least in the parts dealing with Fully Automatic fire in the Combat section of SR3. It does say "Each burst must be at least 3 rounds" or something to that effect, with the exception of mags/belts running short.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 21 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Eh, just rationalize it out a bit. Say that action is you setting yourself up so that you can time it just right or something. I dunno. It's too minor of a detail to sweat over, and in this case in particularly it results in little more than complaining about the system just for the sake of complaining about the system. If your logic can't handle it, just assume it takes no action to switch modes.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 21 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

eh, it should require some skill to be able to fire a three-round burst on FA. not a lot of skill, sure, but some. if you're looking for a houserule, i'd say the minimum number of rounds you should be able to fire in one burst should be 6-skill, to a minimum of 3. if you wanna roll way, way too many dice, you could even do something like making each FA burst 3 +(1d6/2 -skill), minimum 3.

edited for war story: heh, reminds me of a guy named hicks, back in the army. we were doing a live-fire exercise, defending our position against a field full of pop-up targets at night. hicks was on the SAW, where he was supposed to be firing 3-5 rnd bursts at the bad guys, focusing on the ones at the outer limits of the engagement--around 400 yards. but his firing safety/instructor can hear that he's only firing 2 rounds every time--pop-pop, pop-pop, pop-pop.

"hicks, what the hell! 3-5 round bursts, man, that's what that weapon's for!"

"but sarge," hicks says, "i only need two rounds to hit them!"

"...carry on!"

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 21 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Firing exactly 3 rounds every time, that takes skill. Firing about 3, give or take 1, every time takes fuck-all, until you get into 1200+rpm cyclic RoFs. You can certainly do it without putting any effort into "timing it just right".

And no, Doctor Funkenstein, this particular issue will not completely crash my suspension disbelief or anything. It's not as if it works like that in my game anyway. However, it is illogical, and I felt like pointing that out (I originally said it's "a bit weird", which shows about how strongly I feel about it...). Because, well, I like pointing out illogical things, especially when they could be fixed very easily -- in this case either by allowing both BF and FA while in the FA-mode, or by simply removing BF from weapons which in fact do not have a BF-mode (while the latter isn't realistic, it would at least make more sense than the current system).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 21 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

yeah, austere, but if you fire 4 rounds, you're not using a simple action anymore. that's an important difference.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 21 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

So let it be a simple action. Is that seriously a problem?

2-4 rounds at GM discretion for sone firing bursts while in full auto sounds fine to me. You can add in some absurdly time consuming mechanic for determining just how many rounds are fired, but that's obviously a stupid waste of time.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 21 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

to me, yeah, it's a problem. SR's crazy-ass initiative system already allows way too much to happen in 3 seconds, as it is. something that allows characters to do even more, in that 3 seconds, is not something i'm probably ever going to subscribe to.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 21 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (mfb)
to me, yeah, it's a problem.

Then you would probably be better off removing the BF mode from weapons which don't, in fact, have a BF mode, but are given it only because of the assumption that a FA-capable weapon can be fired in short bursts.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.