Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1001 Ideas, Craziness and more of it.
Toptomcat
post Nov 21 2004, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,112

I made some notes while perusing Cannon Companion and SOTA 2063, mainly about handy things a character could do, munchkinnny things a character could do, an idea or two about character concepts and new items. Take a look, and comment on any one of these.

Could the various arrow types be stacked, within reasonable limits? Nothing indicates that they can't...it's already the one place in the game where EXEX and Dikote can feasably interact. EXEX+Dikote+Barbed+Incindiary? Sounds like a Cow From Space invitation with the wrong GM, though.

Troll+Telescoping cyberlimb + Monowhip or Kusurigama = Reach 4 monster

Dikoted, poisoned caltrops: better than land mines?

Air-timed grenades with Smartlink-2, grenade link, and grenade launcher: happy area suppression? Better than standard weapons?

Capsule rounds + crazy compounds = cool, effective weapon. Burst Fire or Full-Auto with mixed clips will do some really crazy things.

Incindiary rounds + spirits or elementals = good

Tracker rounds = missile lock?

Could the shotgun round options be used in an Assault Cannon? Why or why not?

Dual-charge IPE Concussion/Superflash= good nonlethal

Mines are light, have Avail as grenades, and have all kinds of happy options. Cool slowdown tactic?
Taken to extreme: IPE Offensive Mine, HE, Bouncing, Directional, super-Disguised, Sensor rating = 18S damage craziness

Stacking armor: how much can you stack before Combat Pool simply becomes irrelevant?

A milgrade helmet is a light, concealable and considerable agumentation to armor, its vision enhancements can substitute for cybereyes, and it can be used as a gas mask... Have contacts find one early in the game.

Mounting a Ballista missile launcher in a vehicle a la Rigger 3, if I remember the mechanic properly, allows for a vastly superior ammo capacity- 4:1 better.

Gyrojet rockets w/seekers are extremely light, cheap homing missiles. 10 of them weigh 2 lb with the seeker heads: so if an array of 40-50 were set up in a hemispherical array or a vehicle mount...With gyrojet-plus rockets, this becomes genuinely evil. Pity they're so hard to get.

Could a mortar be fired by a troll without setting up, just like other heavy weapons? The ammo would be a problem, at a universal Avail 18, but it would be cool.

Stacking armor stacks armor-mod special properties, even if the stacked armor doesn't add much to the actual B/I value.

Modelling some power armor off of the JIM diving exoskeleton would be cool.

A PAB unit could be an interesting PC tool.

Could investing ludicrous amounts of Karma into martial-arts maneuvers combined with the Ambi 8 Edge among others make for a viable mundane, non-ware character? Kung Fu + Full Offense + Multi-Strike + Whirling...use the addl. maneuvers to buy it with Edged Weapons or Pole Arm.

Aptitude(athletics) + Athletics and Dodging rule + 6 Athletics dice = 3 extra Dodge dice. Again with the mundane non-cyber non-bio?

Burning melee weapons get +1 Power. Heating coils in a sword? Coating w/White Phosphorous? Come to think of it, elemental effects in melee weapons might be interesting to expiriment with. Possibilities: taser-charged sword, heating-coil sword, vibration-cell sword, laser sword a la Crescent Axe...or ALL OF THEM AT ONCE!

Super-high Body, Strength troll + Max-Gyro = vehicle weapons on a character scale?

Uberstrength troll can propel a bowshot to a range longer than a sniper rifle.

Phenotypic alteration + calcitonin + bioware = VERY low-profile, high-lethality sammy

Idea: polearm with a slot for a tiny, contact-fused C12 charge on the end. Or just a pressure-fuzed shotgun shell. Maybe use it with the Super-Reach troll.

LOS means anything you can see, with a magician, using optics and not electronic mag. Mage + telescope = sniper.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 21 2004, 05:49 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Double spacing is your friend.

I tried to read through your post, I really did, but all that text jumbled up together like that caused me to keep losing track half-way through... and half of what I read made little sense whatosever beyond being simple rhetoric. What are you looking for?

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Nov 21 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Modelling some power armor off of the JIM diving exoskeleton would be cool.

This has come up before. It's a, uh, controversial topic. The main objection is that there's no evidence that the JIM is designed to operate on land.

You can do some fun stuff with Rigger 3, anthroform drone frames, and a little creativity, however. (I should probably add that those are a controversial topic, too, though I was careful to stay within the bounds of what's reasonably justifiable by canon when I built them.)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 21 2004, 06:00 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Double spacing is your friend.

I tried to read through your post, I really did, but all that text jumbled up together like that caused me to keep losing track half-way through... and half of what I read made little sense whatosever beyond being simple rhetoric. What are you looking for?

Seconded.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 21 2004, 08:05 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I'll reply to a few of them:

>On the troll with telescoping cyberarms and a Reach: 2 weapon - yeah, very advantageous in melee combat, but who will want to close in with someone who's so obviously dangerous in melee? Plus, the Close Combat maneuver can completely negate reach. Plus, you would be in trouble in close quarters (try extending a massive troll's cyberarms out and swinging a monowhip when you are in a 5-foot wide corridor). Don't get me wrong, though. For all of the potential disadvantages, it's still a potent combo. But there are plenty of ways for a GM to counter it.

>On how much armor you can stack until Combat Pool becomes irrelevant: according to the prevailing interpretation of the rules, only the highest two ratings stack. Even if you are like me, and say that you add the first, then half the value of the second and each additional piece of armor... you still reach a point of diminishing returns very quickly.

Combat Pool is vitally important, because you compare all of your successes with the attacker's, then stage the damage. In other words, the enemy's skill and Combat Pool are pitted against your Body and Combat Pool. Not using (or having) any Combat Pool dice means you can't dodge (which gives you a chance to avoid damage altogether) and you have less dice to reduce your opponent's net successes with.

Keep in mind that unless you are wearing mil-grade armor, it is not hardened. So if you somehow get 15 points of ballistic armor, you'll still only reduce that holdout pistol shot from 4L to 2L for purposes of soaking damage. Your best bet if you don't have hardened armor is a composite approach of layering armor to keep your TN's down against attacks, while having a decent Body and Combat Pool to counter your opponent's successes.

>On using ambidexterity and/or athletics(dodging) to create super-mundane characters: You can create mundane characters who are not pushovers. However, keep in mind that you can also create an adept or sammie with those same exact abilities in addition to their own. Generally, mundanes do better when they are subtler, and avoid direct confrontations.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Nov 21 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

Spacing AWAAAAAY!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2004, 01:22 AM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Mounting a Ballista missile launcher in a vehicle a la Rigger 3, if I remember the mechanic properly, allows for a vastly superior ammo capacity- 4:1 better.

2:1 better. Vehicle mounting doubles base ammo capacity before additional ammunition storage.

~J

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Nov 22 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

QUOTE (Glyph)

Plus, the Close Combat maneuver can completely negate reach.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Close Combat manoeuver only negates 1 pt of Reach, doesn't it?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 22 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Ombre)
Unless I'm mistaken, the Close Combat manoeuver only negates 1 pt of Reach, doesn't it?

You are mistaken. Close Combat negates Reach bonuses of both Attacker and Defender and gives the user -1 Power.

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Nov 22 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

How come I'm always mistaken? :D
So if you have Close Combat, you can take on that nasty troll with his no-dachi?
My girlfriend, who plays an adept specializing in hand-to-hand combat, is going to be happy

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 22 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Ombre)
So if you have Close Combat, you can take on that nasty troll with his no-dachi?

You always could. Close Combat just levels the playing field and let's skill have a more important bearing on the consequences.

+Quote Post
Blaze
post Nov 22 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 1,321

On the Trolls-with-bows idea, I remember one of my friends playing a Troll shaman with a Ranger-X bow. He could put an arrow out to near-sniper-rifle ranges, and had the Enhance Aim spell and Focussed Concentration edges. That and it's surprising how little Impact armour most goons wear as standard...

Gyrojet Pistols- put one on a DNI Tracking mount, load it with Seeker-Plus ammo and fit a laser designator into one of your eyes. You may also want a Dermal Sheath with Ruthenium coating and a Forearm Snap Blade to complete the ensemble.

Melee Weapon Customisation: One of my players once wrote up a set of rules for building custom melee weapons based on the firearm system in CC, including Dikoting, ceramic or glass blades, vibration modules, biometric locks and mono-edges. Dikoted Vibro-Nodachis are sicksicksick.

Nasty Troll #629: Take one large ambidextrous Troll. Give him maxed-out Muscle Toners and Muscle Augmentation, Enhanced Articulation and Boosted Reflexes/Synaptic Accelerators, plus a pair of dikoted claymores or similar zweihanders (assuming you allow trolls to use two-handed weapons in a single hand). Stand well back (say, at least four metres).

Combining R2 Synthacardium with Erythropoietin and Glucagon Synthesis, as well as Digestive Expansion, Suprathyroid Gland and Sleep Regulator = The Man Who Never Stops (except to eat).

Heavy Machine Gun with Smartlink-II, Rangefinder, Max-Gyro and Gas Vent 4- for all your suppressive fire needs.

-JH.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Blaze: your suppressive fire needs are not adequately met by your recipe. Drop all the recoil comp and the smartlink, make the gun HV.

~J

+Quote Post
Blaze
post Nov 22 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 1,321

HV is good, but lacks stopping power and, when in FA, accuracy. I'll take a 20D strike at extreme range for TN5 (with the option to call a shot at +2) over more low-calibre ammo in the air any day. :D

-JH.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

But that isn't suppressive fire. SF has no recoil mods.

~J

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 22 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Technically, it doesn't even have defaulting penalties. Anyone can pick up a high-velocity HMG and go to town mowing down the competition. The only thing that applies is cover, wounds, and the +2 for suppressive fire -- all other penalties are ignored.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 22 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

You're one printing behind, Doctor Funkenstein. :)
QUOTE (Errata: Cannon Companion @ http://srrpg.com/resources/errata_cc.shtml)
Page 107: Suppressive Fire [3]
In the third paragraph, in the second sentence add "defaulting," between "attacker's wounds," and "the target's cover"

I remembered mfb saying something about sending mail in the SRRPG.Com FAQ and them Errata'ing it.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 22 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Oh, that's right... I remember that now. There's just too many changes and rules to keep track of... but God help me, I still love it all. <cries>

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 22 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 6,670

QUOTE (Toptomcat)

Man do I hate dikote. Its liquid munch. Its benifits far outweigh its book givin price. Thank goodness for its high availability

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Nov 22 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #20

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

I'm pretty sure most modern combat boots would defeat these easily. Not to mention the stuff they have in 2060.

besides, you said yourself that:
Mines are light, have Avail as grenades, and have all kinds of happy options. Cool slowdown tactic?
Taken to extreme: IPE Offensive Mine, HE, Bouncing, Directional, super-Disguised, Sensor rating = 18S damage craziness

so why bother?

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 22 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Only against targets with truly insane body stats (since they use body for the power code of the attack), and even then only if the GM chooses to not use much common sense.

But a rules monger would say that they were more effective than mines vs Juggernauts.

[edit]I do like caltrops, though. They're so cheap that my gangers can use them all the time for ambushes.

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Nov 23 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

QUOTE (Cable)
QUOTE (Toptomcat @ Nov 21 2004, 12:29 AM)

Man do I hate dikote. Its liquid munch. Its benifits far outweigh its book givin price. Thank goodness for its high availability

Please, also bear in mind that Dikote is an industrial process. It is made to be applied to such things as girders, I beams, building exterior panels, etc. While there are appropriate blast furnaces for small items such as bearings and electronics, I would think those would be a bit harder to find, and definatly harder to convince them to let you modify them enough to change the mounts on them.

man & machine p111, shadowtech p 91

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 23 2004, 02:32 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Thistledown)
QUOTE (Cable @ Nov 22 2004, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (Toptomcat @ Nov 21 2004, 12:29 AM)

Please, also bear in mind that Dikote is an industrial process. It is made to be applied to such things as girders, I beams, building exterior panels, etc. While there are appropriate blast furnaces for small items such as bearings and electronics, I would think those would be a bit harder to find, and definatly harder to convince them to let you modify them enough to change the mounts on them.

man & machine p111, shadowtech p 91

Facinating. Especially considering the number of shadowrunners that manage to "convince them" to Dikote the runners' spurs, hand razors, hand blades, katanas, knives, other assorted swords, staves, clubs, and of course the occasional AVS Ally Spirit whom said runner sleeps with (the spirit, not the others). :D

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 23 2004, 03:04 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Well, it's hard to put your cyber-blades on the nightstand when you go to bed, and some paranoid types can only sleep with their security sword in hand (others prefer a security uzi).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.