Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Orichalcum Key, What is it worth?
Dave
post Nov 22 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,507

Using Ancient History’s cracking artefact index I decided to introduce my players to unique artefacts, so I hid the ‘Orichalcum Key’ in the Arcology. During last session my players actually managed to find it.

On escaping the Arcology (and spending some months healing/hiding) they approached the Draco Foundation and arranged a meeting to hand over some documented blood rituals and spell formulae. At the end of the meeting one of my players produced the key and asked if they would be interested in it, the attending Foundation mage immediately saw it was an item of great power and rushed them to a more secure location and a meeting with Aina Dupree, who just happened to be in town on business.

Dupree recognised the key but “for the safety of those involved” did not reveal its unique abilities. The players want the Foundation to make an offer but at the time I couldn’t think of anything appropriate.

I didn’t want to just dump a stack of nuyen on them and would much prefer something a little different. A couple of OOC suggestions they were discussing included tattoo magic or personalised spell foci but I think the Foundation would be reluctant to provide either of these. I do realise Aina can just *ask* for it but they have already tasted the bittersweet 'victory' of Brainscan so I figure this could be their small reward.

Can any of you think of a suitable Foundation offer?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 22 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Whatever they give would probably be inconsequential peanuts compared to the true value of the artefact, so the Foundation would not mind giving out Foci, tatoos, deltaware MBW 3, whatever. They'll give out whatever makes the runners give them the key and go away happy, never to ask questions again.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 22 2004, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Offer 'em new identities(including cosmetic surgery and new SINs, if they want), a modest bank account, a paid-for vacation to somewhere expensive and exotic (like Tir na nOg or the Kingdom of Hawai'i), further work with the DF if and when they want it, plus limited access to DF magical research libraries, enchanting labs, and shadow clinics. Off the magicians training and a small-to-moderate focus (Charms work nicely), offer cybertechs a free implant or round of gene therapy, maybe even a nanite hive.

Hell, the thing is worth over a million nuyen just in raw materials (if anyone could figure out how to melt it down).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I'd offer them more or less the raw material value, as AH said, cut by 50% to keep the going price decently above what they could get on the street.

~J

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 22 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Whats it worth?

Your life, since anyone knowing that you have it, will quite happily kill you for it. More so if they are from Tir Tairngire.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 22 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

2 ways of thinking

they offer as little as they can for it while getting the runners to sell it, probably nuyen. This would be reasonable in the world but a bit of an anticlimax for the game.

What I would do is tell the characters what it is in broad terms (uber powerful magic item not exact powers) and apologise that the dunkulzan institute can not give its true value but can provide a significant sum of cash and access to our facilities and traders in certain items

Other wise known as a few contacts that ignore street index in arias the dunkulzan institute has influence. This may include traders in the items they requested OC

Edward

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Edward)
What I would do is tell the characters what it is

I don't care how broad or narrow the terms are, this is the absolute last thing that I or anyone capable of running a large organization in Shadowrun would do.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 22 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

A class B corp....

Seriously, an Artifact, any Artifact, with a capital A, meets the definition of priceless.

That being said, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It would be wise for Aina to ask them to make the first offer and then negotiate from there. If she makes the first offer they will become suspicious. If it is too high, they'll wonder why she's so eager to get it. If it is too low they'll thinkk she trying to screw them out of some easy nuyen.
If she asks them to name a price, then they'll be happy if what they get is close to it.

Of course, if they insist on something absurd like a seat on the Corporate Court, Sexually explicit photos of your favorite dragon, or One Billion Nuyen,it is just as likely that she'll have them killed and take the key. So they shouldn't go overboard/

+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 22 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 2,507

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It would be wise for Aina to ask them to make the first offer and then negotiate from there.

I did try that first but they played it well, played it professionally (I was almost shocked) so I decided to make them the first offer.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I don't care how broad or narrow the terms are, this is the absolute last thing that I or anyone capable of running a large organization in Shadowrun would do.

Agreed, I was intentionally vague with the description but hinted that there are several creatures (not people) who would interested in obtaining the artefact.

Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to start with AH's suggestion regarding the small-to-moderate focus, throw that at them and see if they can come back with a counter-offer.

+Quote Post
Spook
post Nov 22 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,667

Is that the same key that a team of runners found themselves outside the Tir border with during the '57 campaign?

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Nov 22 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #11

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Sexually explicit photos of your favorite dragon

I actually had a player ask for explicit photos of Lofwyr and Jenna Ni'Fiarra as 'payment' for a run, once. No joke. As such a thing doesn't exist to my understanding, the Johnson smiled, nodded, and got a graphics expert to fake some up. The runner was happy as a clam, just because he could say, "Yeah, I may not be rich, but do YOU have compromising photos of two members of the Tir Council of Princes?"

Moreover, on the key - is this the key that breaks all ritual links, unlocks anything, etc?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 22 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Adarael)
Sexually explicit photos of your favorite dragon

I actually had a player ask for explicit photos of Lofwyr and Jenna Ni'Fiarra as 'payment' for a run, once. No joke. As such a thing doesn't exist to my understanding, the Johnson smiled, nodded, and got a graphics expert to fake some up. The runner was happy as a clam, just because he could say, "Yeah, I may not be rich, but do YOU have compromising photos of two members of the Tir Council of Princes?"

He should have asked for the issue of Playspirit with Big D's Ghost on the cover. :D

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Nov 22 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Me personally I would have Aina act with some interest, offering twice the normal (non street) rate of a force 12 power foci, explaining that it is unique enchantment that had been stolen from her. She is willing to give them this money and the names and contact numbers of several 'friendly' fixers, talismongers, and arms dealers, as reward for their kindness.

Watch the PC's drool as she mentions the amount and the high level contacts thus insuring thet they can continue to run the shadows profitably.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Again I ask why on earth she would let the PCs know that she's more interested in it than the worth of a lump of Orichalcum of the same size would indicate?

~J

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Nov 22 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Becuase with a proper explanation the PC's aren't as suspicious. Especially if they think they know the big 'secret'. Of course I am infamous for playing my mind games with PC's. As it was the hand was already tipped by the mage who whisked them away to a safer location

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 22 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #16

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Seriously, Negociation 101, never show interest. Always act like you'll be doing the other guy a favour by taking it off their hands.

Becuase with a proper explanation the PC's aren't as suspicious

"Nice piece of orichalchum... We could use it for enchanting purposes, we'll pay you street price for it... Ok, ok, street price +10%. You guys drive a hard bargain"

VS

"OH MY GOD! DO YOU KNOW THE OWER YOU HOLD??!!? GIVE IT TO ME MORTAL! No? Ok, ok, I'll give you 10 deltaware cyber implants? What do you mean you want to see what other people will bid for it? Come back!"

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Nov 22 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

No more like.

"I thought that was missing. It was kind of you to retrieve that for me. Oh, you didn't know it was mine? You found it where? Really? I guess my secuirity has been a bit lax. Well it's not really that useful except on the full moon during solstice, but it is mine and there is the principle. How about (X amount of money)? Oh you are too kind. I'll make sure others hear of you kindness."

Middle road is always safest becuase it's knee jerk reaction of most people to believe that someone that powerful would just kill them if it was important. If it's moderately important and the person is question is rich money really has no meaning. And like I said the characters think they know the secret. Also as I noted the hand was already tipped a factsome of you missed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.