IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christian Totems, Could angels be used as such?
Thistledown
post Nov 24 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #26

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,155

I've seen some web pages that dealt with Christian totems before, but I'm away from the computer that their marked on until sunday. If this thread is still going then, I'll put them up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 24 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #27

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

A psycho Souther preacher might be a shaman. Because they scream.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 24 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #28

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Note that I never said that Christian Shamanism wasn't possible, it's just that for the concept Dr. Jest put up, it wasn't appropriate. He was taken in and schooled in magic by the Church. The only thing remotely shamanistic is that he had an "invisible friend" which he manifested as the archangel Michael; but that's pretty common for all types of magicians when they first start to manifest their abilities.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Nov 24 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #29

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

@ Dr. Funk

My apologies for putting words in your mouth. You point things out so forcefully that in this case I felt I had to make a counterpoint.

@ audun

We're all adults here, no prob. The thing about saints was kind of what I was trying to say; it's a polytheistic trait in a monotheistic religion, something that Roman and Greek or whatever converts could identify with. So yeah, a lot of the idols can be worked in with no prob.

@WR

Agreed! The stereotypical snake-handling, ranting preacher is going to have a "personal relationship with his God", above and beyond that of the Good Book. Probably a nice fire-and-brimstone totem like Sky Father or something.

On the other hand, you can have a ranting preacher who feels the Good Book is the final Word, and the mystic secrets it imparts to him (through endless study) would seem to imply a more hermetic-style magic.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 24 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #30

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Wow, I step out to kung fu for a couple of hours and the thread goes to two pages...

Doc, fair play in respect of the concept. Hermeticism seems to be the order of the day for the organised religions anyway.

Various others: I was thinking more in terms of angels than saints personally, since in the qabbalistic tradition the angels - and particularly the archangels - are all associated with specific concepts. To go off on a small tangent, an idea I thrashed out with a bunch of friends with variously differing belief systems is that all the gods, archangels, elementals etc are just different aspects of the same entities; so that what I call the archangel Michael, a follower of the Greek pantheon would call Athena, a Celtic Druid would call... probably Lugh (Celtic mythos isn't my strong point), an Egyptian pantheon might call Horus, etc.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Nov 24 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #31

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

I think SOTA 2064 spelled out Celtic totems (the idols they correspond to). I think Lugh was the Wild Huntsman. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I only read that part once.

+Quote Post
Joe Outside
post Nov 24 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #32

Target

Member No.: 6,512

QUOTE (littlesean)
(On an aside, if you are familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Mormons, how do you think they would express?)

The closest in-game equivalent to what we mormons refer to as the priesthood would be psionics or hermeticism, largely sorcery aspected. We may believe in spirits, we don't really deal with them. :)

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 24 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #33

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

I'm in the process of creating a Catholic physad whose patron saint is St. Michael. I'm just going with the Dragonslayer idol bonuses, since it seems appropriate to me.

IIRC (I don't have a MitS handy), the description of some of the idols includes a mention that some of them are followed by Christians. I think a lot of the idols and some of the totems (Dove for example) can fit in for the awakened Christian who feels a strong bond for a particular saint, angel, or aspect of God. You should just do what the Church did to convert pagans; choose an idol that resembles the saint and run with it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 24 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #34

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Garland)
Mexican Catholics often accord special emphasis on the Virgin Mary, so one might become a Dove shaman, or Great Mother shaman or something.

Eesh. Much as strict Catholicism tries to make Mary both Maiden and Mother (with a distinct absence of Crone, IIRC), any sort of fertility symbol is at least partially heretical.

~J

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 24 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #35

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I like the idea - it follows the symbolism nicely and for all practical purposes, Saints tend to fulfill the same role.

Of course, Devil Worshippers take on a whole new level of creepy...

-Siege

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Nov 24 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #36

Guests

QUOTE (ES_Riddle @ Nov 24 2004, 05:05 PM)
I'm in the process of creating a Catholic physad whose patron saint is St. Michael. I'm just going with the Dragonslayer idol bonuses, since it seems appropriate to me.

Wouldn't St. George, the dragonslayer, be a more analogous saint to attribute the Dragonslayer Idol's attributes to?

Just asking.

QUOTE (Siege)
Of course, Devil Worshippers take on a whole new level of creepy...

Uh... Why?

I'm all for badmouthing any religion put in front of me, but why them in particular?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 24 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #37

Dragon

Care to take a stab at their Shamanic masks?

-Siege

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 24 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #38

Moving Target

I think that St. Michael, who defeats THE Dragon and casts him from heaven is a fine fit. St. George could work also. The beauty of it is that you can have a dozen different saints that are all slightly different takes on the same idol.

QUOTE (Siege)
Devil Worshippers take on a whole new level of creepy

The Adversary is pretty much designed to represent modern Satanism, IMO.

+Quote Post
Johnny Reb
post Nov 24 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #39

Target

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (Siege)

-Siege

Well, for shamantic masks on a Christian Shaman sort, I'd imagine wreathes of glame, halo formation, stigmata, wings of fire, etc. All the basic Hollywoodisms cranked up a bit.

Like all magics, I'd imagine there to be the Hermetic-Shaman divide as well. Marking the Catholic-style as mroe Hermetic while the Southern style was more Shamanatic would make sense.

-- Johnny Reb

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 24 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #40

Dragon

QUOTE (Johnny Reb)
QUOTE (Siege @ Nov 24 2004, 11:30 PM)

-Siege

Well, for shamantic masks on a Christian Shaman sort, I'd imagine wreathes of glame, halo formation, stigmata, wings of fire, etc. All the basic Hollywoodisms cranked up a bit.

Like all magics, I'd imagine there to be the Hermetic-Shaman divide as well. Marking the Catholic-style as mroe Hermetic while the Southern style was more Shamanatic would make sense.

-- Johnny Reb

Yes, but as to why I thought applying shaman rules to Devil Worshippers would make them an extra notch of creepy -> care to guess what their Shamanic masks will look like?

-Siege

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 24 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #41

Runner

Member No.: 185

Since I'm way too busy to go over a lot the same ground again, anyone really interested can find some relevant comments on this issue here (the last time this discussion came up).

One important point several people have already made, and I'd like to underline, is there is an immense difference between the way Catholic, Orthodox, Reformist Protestant and Evangelical Protestant Christians all see magic and more importantly how they believe it could possibly work within their distinct cosmologies.

SOTA64 has some ideas but there's a lot more to it than would ever fit there. If you have the Grimoires, Awakenings and Threats 2 on hand to cross-reference things will begin to add up.

SR Canon assumes the Catholic Church (and many Reformist Protestant denominations') doctrine allows for a form of "sanitized" Hermetic magic called Theurgy (based on RL precedents btw). Catholic Theurgy undoubtedly allows for the "Cult of the Saints and Archangels" (an aspect of the Catholic religious practice) although it is suggested this be addressed as per the Archangelic patrons in the Templars chapter of Threats 2 rather than as idols (just the choice of word is bound to cause problems). However, in the other thread (above) I've tried to explain some of the inherent difficulties of being a Catholic shaman, especially one in the Church (mostly to do with mindset, doctrinal complications and the catch 22 regarding the nature of one's gift). Also, as I mention therein, this doesn't rule out the possibility and I for one think there'll be a few shamans in the ranks of the Sylvestrines and Vigilia Evangelica (though not in the far stricter and fanatical New Templars).

Note however that other Christian denominations allow for a much more ecstatic and personal relation with God than the Catholic faith and would obvious allow much more freedom to integrate Christian shamans.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 24 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #42

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Voodoo is essentially the result of Christian Shamanism. I'd look to it and Santeria as the basis of such devotion.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 25 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #43

Moving Target

QUOTE (Siege)
Yes, but as to why I thought applying shaman rules to Devil Worshippers would make them an extra notch of creepy -> care to guess what their Shamanic masks will look like?

-Siege

A beautiful smiling face with a sinister gleam in its eye? An aura of promising power with a whisper of dark prices? I don't think you'd get much into the sinister demonic look thing unless the shaman is unleashing some horrific combat spell or elemental manipulation. I think it is even creepier that way.

+Quote Post
Johnny Reb
post Nov 25 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #44

Target

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (Siege)

-Siege

Ah! Well, that wasn't my point, but, it'd be easy to glom onto.

Basicly, teh inherent view of Satanism, regardless of that truth in a mundane world, would come to teh for in a magical world where perception often equals truth.

In short, they'd be the baby-sacrificing parodies that 99% of the population worries about, due to how mana flows actualize. A handful of 'True Satanists' would assuredly exist, but they'd have to be closeted. If teh CAS put a bounty on Voodoo, Satanists wouldn't stand a chance. :)

Their masks would project traditional devil iconography ... horns, tail, black flames, sinister pointy teeth, wings, and so on.

They'd probably be listed as Toxic Shamans, really. Devout Christian Shamans who went mad and Fell into the embrace of teh Devil.

Again, that'd be the majority, while those who followed a 'Traditional Satanist' view would be rather horked at being lumped in with the bastards.

-- Johnny Reb

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 25 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #45

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

The CAS put a bounty on magicians that raise the dead, not anything else. The Adversary is the idol for a Satanist Shaman.

[edit] And a Toxic Christian Shaman is not a Satanist: they are Jesus as the avenger; the lion come to destroy the sinners without mercy, and make the world pure again.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Nov 25 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #46

Guests

So, basically, the bastard Jesus in the last Left Behind novel...

As for the Satanists... Wow, John.... Wow.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 25 2004, 06:35 AM
Post #47

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The interesting thing about Christian magicians is that you can have friction between the hermetic and shamanic approaches. The big difference isn't style - it's that hermetic Christians see magic and their religion as two separate things. They might consider their magical ability a gift from God, just like having superior athletic ability or an aptitude for math would be. But they don't think their magic comes from praying.

They might even be a bit appalled at shamanic Christians, watching someone summon spirits of man and calling them "angels", waving crosses around, etc. It would seem deluded at best, maybe even blasphemous. Shamanic Christians, on the other hand, would see hermetic Christians as either denying the true source of their powers, or, even worse, rejecting it to use "diabolical" powers instead. Lots of roleplaying opportunities...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 25 2004, 07:15 AM
Post #48

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Glyph)
The interesting thing about Christian magicians is that you can have friction between the hermetic and shamanic approaches. The big difference isn't style - it's that hermetic Christians see magic and their religion as two separate things. They might consider their magical ability a gift from God, just like having superior athletic ability or an aptitude for math would be. But they don't think their magic comes from praying.

They might even be a bit appalled at shamanic Christians, watching someone summon spirits of man and calling them "angels", waving crosses around, etc. It would seem deluded at best, maybe even blasphemous. Shamanic Christians, on the other hand, would see hermetic Christians as either denying the true source of their powers, or, even worse, rejecting it to use "diabolical" powers instead. Lots of roleplaying opportunities...

Actually, they do think that magic comes from praying. Check out the link, Synner provided. I had put the apporpriate quotes there.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 25 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #49

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Okay, reading the link, where Synner talks about Theurgy, and it sounds like what I was saying... that "the Gift is a God-given talent like any other and that magic is a neutral force to be manipulated for good or for evil depending on intent." And he goes on to demonstrate how the Templars know that what they are using is hermetic magic. Yes, they say an invocation before using magic, but that's piety, not their view of how magic works.

Also, I was taking in more general terms, about a hermetic magician who happens to be a Christian versus someone who thinks that he is performing miracles and summoning angels.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 25 2004, 09:02 AM
Post #50

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

The following quotes are taken from Threats 2 p108.

The conjuration of angels are much more involved.

These angels are believed to be sent by the patron Archangel to aid his servents,..

Those few Templars skilled and pious enough to invoke a Great Form angel are blessed with the appearance of what is believed to be one of the personal servitors of the patron Archangel.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.