> Batter Up!, Time for a little rant...
Cable
post Nov 25 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,670

A senerio:

Imagine you're the GM, and I want to play a phyad baseball star. He'd have, like, 12 or so dice in Mele Weapons: Baseball bat (probbly giving him a 5/13 skill) Maybe a martial art or two in swingin things hard. But wait, it gets better. I want to hollow out all my bats and fill them to the brim with C12 and such... Why did my GM say no?

Anyone else notice the wackiest questions come out in this forum? Makes you wonder what some games are like.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 25 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Because if you concentrated and made your base skill 5 you'd be screwed with Improved Ability and could only take Clubs up to 10?

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 25 2004, 02:32 AM
Post #3

Target

congradulations, you just took this post seriously.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 25 2004, 02:47 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Cable)
congradulations, you just took this post seriously.

:please:

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 25 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Why does this thread exist?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 25 2004, 05:01 AM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

This thread exists for the same reason Dumpshock exists, to take an idea and expound on it in a larger arena. Admittedly this topic carries an extremist bent but is no less relevant for that in my opinion.

As for the initial post, why c12? In my mind this is really just leading to a lot of destroyed bats. Basically you would take the amount of demolitions material, subtract out the barrier rating of the bat and be left with a largely awkward grenade with radio detonator.

Base skill of 6, specialized up to 12 and then if you choose one bat to be your favorite and never get broken (I'd recommend Dikoting it, but that of course removes the possibility of an old fashioned Louisville slugger) you can take the signature weapon route up to 18 IIRC. That would give you 24 dice with Improved Combat Ability, get some off hand clubs and a hand full of combat pool and go to town.

Though, on a secondary Roleplaying note...what league is the character in? You could examine the controversy about awakened athletes and why the "Better" players aren't allowed to play for the love of the game.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 25 2004, 05:05 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (McQuillan)
This thread exists for the same reason Dumpshock exists, to take an idea and expound on it in a larger arena.

Not according to the thread's creator.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 25 2004, 05:09 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

I think Cable was attempting to make a complaint about some of the bizarre to do right stupid ideas that sometime float across the forum.

"Time for a little rant..." and "Anyone else notice the wackiest questions come out in this forum? Makes you wonder what some games are like." seem to imply this.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 25 2004, 05:29 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Well, for the C12 Bat-o-Doom, I'd have to ask the player if the dedicated hitter rule was in effect, and if his lawyer could convince his latest medical provider contract that using said bat was a training accident.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 25 2004, 05:36 AM
Post #10

The back-up plan

Kanada--You could quite possibly be correct, however I don't think the manner he rose his complaint should keep both subjects from being examined.

Fortune--I'm going to bring you in at this point....

Yes, Dumpshock plays host to some of the most extreme translations of rules and fields some downright bizarre ideas. But I would challenge anyone who says these subjects are completely without merit. With the situation presented as it was, it opens a line of thought that I had never followed. Examination of the various rules and quandaries built around stuffing a block of C12 inside a baseball bat took my mind to other tracks.

The new SOTA:64 book offers rules on camouflaging gear based on Concealability. Taking the idea of the bat another step, who would think twice about seeing an old Fat Cat with his stylized cane walking into a gala for Seattle's best and brightest. Now, imagine the run where a team has to replace that cane with one stocked with C12 to create an international incident. Or take the reverse angle, get the cane away from the Fat Cat without him or anyone else taking notice.

A plausible case was built from something meant to be completely inplausible...

This isn't meant to ignite a flame war but rather explain my POV.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 25 2004, 05:43 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

I have no problem with the exploration of new, old, or even down-right weird ideas. That's what we're here for, after all.

My problem was with Cable's reply to Wounded Ronin. If he wants to discuss either the merits of the baseball bat, or the plethora of strange ideas on Dumpshock, then he should use a valid example in his post. When his example was corrected, he responde by implying that his entire post should not be taken seriously.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 25 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #12

The back-up plan

Fortune--I read his reply-post with the initial reading that you took from it, but then stopped and asked if it could be read another way since emotion doesn't carry well on the Forums. The post could also be read as him showing shock and surprise that is was dealt with seriously rather than immediately scoffing the idea. If it was Cable's intention to simply bring sarcasm into the discussion and try to create a concept completely devoid of possibility, I'd say he failed but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This choice was because I've watched a gaming group implode due to a perceived flame war within e-mails. Said group then had to take time away from each other and rebuild from the ground up some of the trust they had for each other all because someone misread the intent behind a statement and then everyone blew it out of proportion, building off of flames from the previous volley.

Thoughts?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 25 2004, 06:14 AM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

I have nothing against Cable personally ... and rarely judge someone on the basis of one post (Polaris may be the exception! :D). In my opinion though, his response could have been more tactful, or at least less snide.

Be that as it may ... why the hell would someone want to hit someone in melee combat with any object filled with any sort of explosive?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 25 2004, 06:16 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Seems to me that his post was really about some of the really stupid questions that crop up. His example of the baseball bat full of C-12 was meant to be an example of what he was talking about.

The problem is, sure, stupid questions get asked. Constantly. Enough to make the anal retentive vein on my forehead throb nearly 24/7. But that comes with the territory. What Cable was basically doing was bitching about Dumpshock and, while I don't get along with a large number of people here, that's just not cool.

In essence, he basically just said, "Man, some of the people here are dumbasses." That shouldn't be encouraged.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 25 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Fortune)
Be that as it may ... why the hell would someone want to hit someone in melee combat with any object filled with any sort of explosive?

Hardened armor.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 25 2004, 07:17 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Man, some of the people here are dumbasses.

:D

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 25 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #17

The back-up plan

**Steps away from the runner who just fragged off an IE and a Dragon**

The whole melee combat thing I didn't get either. Filling the bats with C12 would be fine if you set it up for a radio detonator and just used the bats to smuggle the explosives in with...I don't recall any rules about accidental ignition of explosive material except through secondary effects of elemental attacks.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Nov 25 2004, 10:54 AM
Post #18

MechRigger Delux

Member No.: 1,657

man I didn't see bulldrek return here...I though we had a seperate place for all the sarcastic @$$monkeys..... j/k I still love you all, cause I'm a sarcastic @$$monkey too

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 25 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Somehow I just have this image of a the baseball bat assassination tool... how to cripple your closest competitor in the World Series or whatever it's called...

"Batter up!"
bleeep
BOOM
"Batter up, up and away!"

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 27 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (Ancient History)
C12 Bat-o-Doom

:D

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 27 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (Fortune)

Bingo!

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 27 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #22

Target

Sorry I havent posted or defended myself, I was away on a holiday vacation. The point of this post is about the stupid ideas that come up. So what? Thats what happens in a forum like this. I love it! I just wanted eveyone to imagine a game with these stupid ideas implimented...

And hey, anyone see my stupid post on "Who knows the rules"? Its pointless. I'm no better.

And to answer a lot of questions..
He is an adept...
Its all about the armor power...
It would work...
In theory...

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Nov 27 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

If scent traveled over the internet, I think that this:

http://www.wonderquest.com/pheromone.htm

might explain threads such as this one. :rollin: There's way too damn many of them.

Everybody quit being offended by everyone else. Grow the hell up. :please:

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 27 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #24

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I think Cable was attempting to make a complaint about some of the bizarre to do right stupid ideas that sometime float across the forum.

"Time for a little rant..." and "Anyone else notice the wackiest questions come out in this forum? Makes you wonder what some games are like." seem to imply this.

The scariest part is, a number of these bizarre and stupid ideas make a lot of folks stop and consider, "Hmm..."

:)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.