Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boosted Reflexes: A Quick Question
Johnny Reb
post Nov 27 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 850

Unlike other cyberware, Boosted Reflexes is mentioned as a chemical treatment and, basicly, a bit of fiddlin' with your genetics. Like bioware, before there was bioware.

So, does it show up on cyberware scanners? All the other cyberware has mechanical parts (Wires, processors, whatever) but Boosted seems to not.

Anybody?

-- Johnny Reb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 27 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Yes. By the rules, Cyberware Detectors detect cyberware, not just "mechanical parts." Boosted Reflexes have a Concealability of 3 just like any other implant, or 6 if it's alphagrade. Higher grades have higher Conceals, just like other implants.

If you have a problem with it, change it to Genetech or Bioware in your game. Those require detailed medical exams to detect in most cases.

One could argue that Boosted Reflexes is listed as cyberware because they are easily detected (for whatever reason), thus explaining why they show up so easily on Cyberware Detectors, and that they are so brutal on the system that they actually eat up Essence instead of Bio Index. At least that'd be one way to retcon their continued classification in that group...

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Nov 27 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Johnny Reb)
So, does it show up on cyberware scanners? All the other cyberware has mechanical parts (Wires, processors, whatever) but Boosted seems to not.

Without addressing your question, a comment: muscle replacement was original portrayed as very bioware-ish. Indeed, IMO, the descriptions of muscle augmentation (teflon woven into muscles) sounds more cybertech-y than muscle replacement.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Nov 27 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,780

true, but the muscle enhancer is grown to fit into you, being they don't make it match your natural body, and it weakens your essence, it's not exactly bioware.

If you can remove it and re use it (which, after a very messy surgery, you can with muscle enhancements), then I would call it proper cyberware.

If removing it and giving it to someone else has hte potential of making you choke yourself, I would say it's either a malfunctioning bit of cyber, or maybe bioware (I don't have a bioware book, so I'm working on limited knowledge here).

boosted reflexes is a chemical enhancement, technically it's cyber because 'burns' yoru body with new abilities, and it's stuck there forever. Essentially it's neither bio or cyber ware.

However, in the fair game of detection, the twitchy effect is still present, and you can't turn it off (so you have that trigger issue without a solution) and a cyberware scanner can probably detect the alterations from the chemicals used. There's probably a few signatures in your blood and body now that represent the procedure, hence being able to detect it.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Nov 27 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

Bu there can be an advantage to the "can't turn it off" issue, as our team found out when sent to prison in Amazonia, the poor street sam with wired 3 got his surgically turned off, while the rest of the team with boosted had our full reflex/initiative bonuses.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 27 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #6

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
[...]However, in the fair game of detection, the twitchy effect is still present, and you can't turn it off (so you have that trigger issue without a solution) and a cyberware scanner can probably detect the alterations from the chemicals used. There's probably a few signatures in your blood and body now that represent the procedure, hence being able to detect it.

Nowhere does it say you retain the twitchy-ness of WR or the smooth-movement of MBW. Boosted is a thing all its own. It is more "natural" than both WR and MBW, but cannot be reversed. It has drawbacks just as the other two do.

+Quote Post
Johnny Reb
post Nov 27 2004, 09:01 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 850

Well, I was always reading Cyberware Scanners as more efficient metal detectors, really. It just seemed that Boosted wouldn't "Ping" them.

Sounds odd, I know, but, that was just how I'd always read it.

I don't think that they moved it to bioware out of a sense of tradition. Boosted have been around for a while, after all. Changing them would make a few polayers grumble.

Then again, I still miss the one cybertech item that got removed after 1st edition. (Points to anyone who knows without looking!)

+Quote Post
lodestar
post Nov 27 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

While wired reflexes seems to work by giving the body a pre-programmed set of instructions which would set of muscular reactions through electronic signals - hence the twitchiness - Boosted reflexes simply makes the original nervous system more efficient by changing the chemicals which the neurons transmit signals to a synthetic almost superconducting one - a chemical which would probably be detectable possibly due to various substances within. Something within the body also has to be altered to make sure it retains that balance of chemicals - maybe a device similar to an auto injector or nanite hive in principal - which when connected to the nervous system regulates the body's ability to sustain the new chemical balance. A device of course which due to its nervous connections accounts for essence loss and is, of course, detectable.

+Quote Post
Moonwolf
post Nov 27 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,011

Johnny: Program injectors? Or am I barking up the wrong tree there?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 27 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon @ Nov 27 2004, 02:19 PM)
[...]However, in the fair game of detection, the twitchy effect is still present, and you can't turn it off (so you have that trigger issue without a solution) and a cyberware scanner can probably detect the alterations from the chemicals used. There's probably a few signatures in your blood and body now that represent the procedure, hence being able to detect it.

Nowhere does it say you retain the twitchy-ness of WR or the smooth-movement of MBW. Boosted is a thing all its own. It is more "natural" than both WR and MBW, but cannot be reversed. It has drawbacks just as the other two do.

? All cybernetic (as opposed to bionetic) implants with an Initiative boost have the "twitchiness" problem. It's detailed in M&M. Of the three cybernetic Initiative boosters, Wired Reflexes is the only one with a trigger that can counter that effect. Boosted Reflexes and Move-By-Wire don't have that luxury.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 27 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #11

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 27 2004, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon @ Nov 27 2004, 02:19 PM)

? All cybernetic (as opposed to bionetic) implants with an Initiative boost have the "twitchiness" problem. It's detailed in M&M. Of the three cybernetic Initiative boosters, Wired Reflexes is the only one with a trigger that can counter that effect. Boosted Reflexes and Move-By-Wire don't have that luxury.

It only says you tend to jump into things without thinking.

At the moment I don't remember if this is 3rd Ed. or not, but WR describes cases where a user develops a "twitch" somewhere in their body after prolonged use and stress. Nowhere does it say that for Boosted, and MBW is just obscenely smooth.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 27 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

...because they are constantly on edge and are hyperactive nervous wrecks. That's what people usually mean when they say "twitchiness," I believe.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Nov 27 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

How much does it realy cost to put into people on a macro scale? I am sure it is rather cheap. I mean the most costly thing on the macro level of soda,is the water. Okay, the container you want your soda in.

+Quote Post
lodestar
post Nov 27 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

The twitchiness in wired reflexes comes from the fact that the reactions are pre programmed ones which are set responses to certain stimuli - generally ones that are useful in an athletic or combat situation, but not necessarily useful outside of that. For example while in combat your wired reflexes will be geared into moving and avoiding all potential threats that might be within your personal space - useful in say a bar brawl - not as useful in say a mall where such "twitchiness" results from having to consiously override the pre-programmed "wired" reaction. An old lady comes too close to you with her shopping cart and your wired reaction might be to do a combat roll out of the way, when all you have to do is step to the side.

Personally I like the three different reaction enhancing cyber techs, they each seem to have certain trades which give them each pros and cons of their use.

Boosted would be the far most common, especially for those who might never be able to afford to upgrade or might never want to - it is also the most friendly essence wise of the bunch being the least invasive being a simple upgrade of one's nervous system.

Wired can give more performance boost than Boosted but at a price essence wise and in terms of its least "socially acceptable" use for everyday life - fortunately it can be turned off - but it also has the advantage of being upgadable.

MBW while having the best performance, also has the greatest cost essence wise and possibly mentally for the recipient. While a MBW user might not be twitchy, they might move unnaturally - too smooth to be metahuman, almost like a computer icon. The thing I always think about is how the major moves sometimes in GITS - almost like a doll rather than human. To watch one's own body behave so is where the real trouble comes from.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 27 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

The other advantage to boosted reflexes is that they are compatible with a synaptic accelerator. For :nuyen: 290000, 2.8 essence and 1 Body Index, you wind up with +2 reaction and +4d6 initiative. Wired Reflexes 3 costs :nuyen: 500000 and eats up 5 essence, giving you +6 reaction and +3d6 initiative - slightly higher performance on the average, but far more expensive and invasive. The trade-off is pretty good.

BTW, quick question on the subject - is the State of the Art edge still in the SR3 SRComp? It's the only way a starting character could get that combo, assuming the GM is sticking to the Availability 8/no cultured rules (I have mixed feelings about that, myself).

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 28 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

No, SOTA edge is no longer in SRComp anymore.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 28 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #17

Chrome to the Core

...because they are constantly on edge and are hyperactive nervous wrecks. That's what people usually mean when they say "twitchiness," I believe.

Well, they're weird. When I say "twitchy," I mean twitchy. Has a nervous tic or something.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 28 2004, 04:26 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

That tends to be a minor (ie, no game mechanic necessary or further extrapolation needed) side-effect of being constantly on edge and a hyperactive nervous wreck.

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Nov 28 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

I thought the description of boosted indicated some twitchiness, I may be wrong though. Never the less, is boosted really such a good deal?

Boosted 1 = +1D6 / E .5
Boosted 2 = +1 R , +1D6 / E 1.25
Boosted 3 = +2 R , +2D6 / E 2.8

but a Reaction Enhancer would add +1 R for .3 E apiece.

Surely boosted 1 and reaction 1 is a better deal, for .8 Essence gives you the same effect of Boosted 2 for 1.25 Essence. And for 2.3 Essence you get 6 Reaction Enhancers and 1 Boosted = +6 R /+1D6, pretty close to the statistical results of Boosted 3, for .6 Essence more you get better than Boosted 3.

The :nuyen: Costs really begin to go up when you try to match boosted 3, but Boosted 2 doesn't seem like it can match boosted 1 with +1 Reaction, or am i way off?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 28 2004, 04:55 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Boosted Reflexes 1 is the only level I'd ever consider taking and is more than enough for any non-combat oriented character. Even for "street-level" combat types, BR 1 and a Synaptic Accelerator 1 is enough to keep up with the competition until the real money starts rolling in.

As you pointed out, Boosted 2 is outperformed by Boosted 1 and a Reaction Enhancer, and if you have the Essence and cash to waste on Boosted 3, you might as well just get Wired Reflexes 2; it's significantly better and only takes up 0.2 Essence more.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 28 2004, 05:01 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I had always assumed that the higher levels of boosted reflexes were for guys who started out on the street with boosted -1 they could upgrade to boosted 3 (boosted 2 is not worth the effort) and have a speed boost comparable to wired 2.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Nov 28 2004, 05:04 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

Boosted is good because its low-cost. Wired is expensive. boosted 3 also is less essence for the same +2d6 (just 2 lower on reflax, and reaction enhancers and bioware can increase that).

wired 2 is 165k for 3 essence.
Alpha boosted 3 is 180k for 2.24 essence.

both give +2d6, which is the important part.

there is a picture of boosted reflexes in the street samuri catalog.
its along both arms and legs, through the torso, and in the head. it looks like wires with a couple extra bits here and there.

from the rules, i would say that boosted does get that twitch , but its probably a different kind than wired.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 28 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #23

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
I had always assumed that the higher levels of boosted reflexes were for guys who started out on the street with boosted -1 they could upgrade to boosted 3 (boosted 2 is not worth the effort) and have a speed boost comparable to wired 2.

IIRC, you can't upgrade Boosted. Once there, it's there.

Boosted Reflexes 1 is the only level I'd ever consider taking and is more than enough for any non-combat oriented character.  Even for "street-level" combat types, BR 1 and a Synaptic Accelerator 1 is enough to keep up with the competition until the real money starts rolling in.[...]

If, of course, the PC has access to a Beta-level facility capable of installing Cultured Bioware.

One reason to spend that extra .2 Essence and some-odd nuyen? Two extra dice for surprise tests.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Nov 28 2004, 05:22 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,676

QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)

boosted reflexes is a chemical enhancement, technically it's cyber because 'burns' yoru body with new abilities, and it's stuck there forever. Essentially it's neither bio or cyber ware.

Sorry Cold, but you need to pick up SOTA63 and read up on gene technology. They now have some gene-tech that can remove even boosted reflexes if you really want to.

Also, everyone discussing the trade offs comparing boosted and wires.... If you combine boosted rating 3 with the synaptic accelerator giving you the +4D6, Don't forget you can also get the Reaction Enhancers to offstet the benefits of the wired reflexes comparison. So, going the boosted route can actually be much better. Not to mention cheaper and lower availability target numbers. Also keep in mind that with more pieces of ware, if one piece breaks you are only slightly hendered compared to damage to the wires....think about the cost to fix wired reflexes. The ONLY major benefit worth considering is that you can get a reflex trigger installed for wires but you are ALWAYS on with the syn. and boosted ref.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 28 2004, 05:23 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (tanka)
IIRC, you can't upgrade Boosted. Once there, it's there.

You recall incorrectly. You can't remove Boosted Reflexes (unless you gain access to genetech). Nothing [edit]in the rules[/edit] stops you from upgrading it.

If, of course, the PC has access to a Beta-level facility capable of installing Cultured Bioware.

If, of course, your GM decides to follow the FAQs/errata as opposed to the more sensible thing of just following the Availability ratings.

On an unrelated note, I've always been baffled by why physical Bioware costs *so* much more than more complicated cerebral Bioware of the same grade. A cultured Mnemonic Enhancer 3 costs only 45,000-nuyen, yet something as relatively simple as cultured Enhanced Articulation costs 240,000-nuyen and has a sky-rocketing Availability rating. It's insane.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.