> Spells and Area, cant figure this out
Solstice
post Nov 28 2004, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,960

What is the area of spells?

SR3 says all valid targets within the area of the spell are effected but it says nothing about what the area of spells are?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 28 2004, 03:36 AM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253

For combat spells, the area of effect is a shpere with diameter = magic rating (6 meters for most people) this are can be expanded by one meter by withholding one die from the spellcasting test, or shrunk one meter by withholding two dice. (you can do more that one grow/shrink).

IIRC power foci up your area of effect as well (since they increase your effective magic rating).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 28 2004, 03:42 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

For Detection Spells, it's normally Force x Magic in meters. This can be increased by a factor of 10 if the extended option is included when learning the spell.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 28 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
IIRC power foci up your area of effect as well (since they increase your effective magic rating).

Only for the purpose of determining if a spell does Physical or Stun Drain, and the maximum Force of a spirit you can summon.

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Nov 28 2004, 05:29 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
For combat spells, the area of effect is a shpere with diameter = magic rating (6 meters for most people) this are can be expanded by one meter by withholding one die from the spellcasting test, or shrunk one meter by withholding two dice. (you can do more that one grow/shrink).

Radius, not diameter.

The rules are in the BBB, page 181, 2nd and 3rd complete paragraphs on the right.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 28 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

what the BBB again? SR3?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 28 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Yes.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 29 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

ok, now the mage in our group has been manipulating spell area any which way he likes so I'll put a stop to that now.

Another question: he says he bought "expendible" foci and he was using them for any spell he happened to need. However, I thought that foci had to be bought for the specific school like combat or whatever and had to be used for only that school of spell. Am I right?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 29 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

You are correct. Expendable Spell Foci are traditionally purchased based upon the spell category, but you can use it for any spell within that category. Honestly though, most people I've gamed with don't bother with all that bookkeeping and allow them to be used with any spell. Note that Expendable Foci can be used to alter the dimensions of a spell, too, by using the extra dice to pay for the change.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 29 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
You are correct. Expendable Spell Foci are traditionally purchased based upon the spell category, but you can use it for any spell within that category. Honestly though, most people I've gamed with don't bother with all that bookkeeping and allow them to be used with any spell. Note that Expendable Foci can be used to alter the dimensions of a spell, too, by using the extra dice to pay for the change.

Thats probably why he felt he could do that...the group he gamed with before was notoriously lax. I don't consider it "book keeping" unless by that you mean playing by the rules.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 29 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

No, by "bookkeeping" I mean it's not worth the effort when it's only 0 Karma and 1,000¥/Force and is a one-shot deal no matter what.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 29 2004, 01:38 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

No, by "bookkeeping" I mean it's not worth the effort when it's only 0 Karma and 1,000¥/Force and is a one-shot deal no matter what.

Do you have an entirely different set of books? I thought is was 9,000 for a force 6 expendable foci?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 29 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Oops, it is 1,500¥/Force. My mistake. The point still stands.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 29 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

well the situation was such that his life effectively hinged on those 2 expendable foci which he used twice to heal himself. So had he declared which type they were when he bought them it could have drastically altered the outcome of the run. Now I'm not into characters dying but the GM specifically asked me about it and I told him the rules said. He was none to happy about the liberties taken both with the foci, the area manipulation and some other problems with the players spell pool. But if he's willing to not worry about foci then I am too.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 29 2004, 02:07 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Unless the run paid off more cash than the cost of those two foci (18,000¥ if they were Force 6)I don't get the problem, and even if it did it's still 18,000¥ flushed down the toliet. The outcome would have likely been similar if he had used them to supercharge another spell to save his hide (Control Thoughts to stop the attack, Stunbolt to take down the attacker, Trid Phantasm to craft a clever illusion, etc.).

But, obviously, that's just me. I wouldn't get upset with the player, though, as it's very likely he didn't realize they were category dependant any more than the GM in question did.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Nov 29 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Hey, I didn't realize it either, but it hasn't come up in my game. (I think the mages in my group feel that the whole expendable thing isn't worth it in the first place...they're going the whole creating their own foci route...enchanting, making oriachlum, etc.)

Of course, if they ever do...now I know. :vegm:

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 29 2004, 02:47 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

I wouldn't get upset with the player, though, as it's very likely he didn't realize they were category dependant any more than the GM in question did.

Agreed. The only reason the GM was asking about it because he and I do not know the rules all that well and this player has a history of fudging things when he is fairly certain we won't know better in the heat of battle. It's not that big of deal I just wanted to verify my understanding.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 29 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Unless the run paid off more cash than the cost of those two foci (18,000¥ if they were Force 6)I don't get the problem, and even if it did it's still 18,000¥ flushed down the toliet.

GReat point here about the cost of magic. My group's mage ran into this reality check in a hurry once he bought the materials for 4 force 5 Elementals (20k) and was only getting paid 25k for the run. The group agreed the chip in for the materials, but it really drove home the point that sort of magical advantage comes at a steep price.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.