Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DeQuickening, Quickening to Dispell Quickened Spells
Kanada Ten
post Nov 30 2004, 04:30 AM
Post #1

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

What do you think about allowing magicians with the Quickening Metamagic to reduce the effective Force of Quickened Spells by spending Karma for the purpose of Dispelling such spells?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 30 2004, 04:33 AM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Maybe. There should definitely be a limit for the how far it can go.

Perhaps "Effective Force may only be lowered to real Force." Something like that so somebody with far too much karma can't just nuke a Quickened spell without any effort.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 30 2004, 04:33 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

If they're blowing karma on it, I really wouldn't mind. I'd question the sanity in such a fruitless act consider the myriad other things they could blow the Karma on (a magician never has enough), afterall.

I would, however, require them to learn a variation of the metamagic technique. If I were really retarded, I'd even propose calling it Slowening.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 30 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
If they're blowing karma on it, I really wouldn't mind. I'd question the sanity in such a fruitless act consider the myriad other things they could blow the Karma on (a magician never has enough), afterall.

I was thinking as for clean-up crews and magical reversal squads as part of some corporation.

I would, however, require them to learn a variation of the metamagic technique. If I were really retarded, I'd even propose calling it Slowening.

Odd, I was thinking that the idea matched how Masking was handled. If I were to purpose it as a new Metamagic, I would apply it to all Dispelling, not just Quickened Spells.

Maybe. There should definitely be a limit for the how far it can go.

Well, IIRC, Quickening is limited to double the Force... so perhaps allowing them to halve the effective Force then?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 30 2004, 04:59 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

That's the thing, Dispelling is a non-initiated ability any magician capable of using Sorcery has. You're essentially looking for a way to burn Karma so as to improve the Dispelling process which, while related to Sorcery, is wholly different from Quickening and Spellcasting.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 30 2004, 05:03 AM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

But it would only work to reduce the effective Force (in terms of Dispelling) of Quickened Spells in the same manner than one can burn Karma to increase the effective Force (in terms of Dispelling) of Quickened Spells.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 30 2004, 05:27 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

It's still contrary to the nature of Quickening. I mean, Tattoo Quickening is in the same league and even it requires its own variant metamagic technique. Might as well go the full route with it and allow the technique to be used with any dispelling technique, not just against Quickenings.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 30 2004, 05:58 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

So what would such a Dispelling Metamagic look like then, and what shall we call it...

Dithering
When dispelling, a magician can spend a free action to use the Dithering metamagic, which reduces the effective force of a targeted spell by one for each karma he or she burns. The spell's force can be reduced to half the original in this manner.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 30 2004, 06:14 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Actually, if turning it into a metamagic, I'd probably start off with something along these lines. My ability to be graceful with my words have left me tonight, so please excuse my wording here...

Unweaving
Your ability to destroy enchantments has grown by leaps and bounds. When using the dispelling or banishing specializations of Sorcery or Conjuring, lower the effective Force of the target by one-half your Grade. You can further lower the Force by expending one point of Good Karma (or, more likely, by burning Karma Pool) per point of Force. The standard rules for minimum TNs are still in effect, so lowering the effective Force below 2 is generally a waste.

I'd test that out a bit and see how it worked, then adjust accordingly if needbe.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.