IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intiate Grades ... who's the big gun?, Oddball, but.
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 7 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #201

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I personally prefer all the atrocities and wonders of history to have been the accomplishments of Humans alone. Color me silly that way.

As far as I'm concerned that's why Dunkelzahn was so interested in guiding us into the future and towards the coming of the Horrors. He realized the potential we had because of all those things we accomplished without magic and without the bastard brats of the Highlander fad.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #202

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Silly :P

I like a mix weighted towards humans, myself. Arthur as Harlequin? I'm down with that. Leonardo da Vinci as Leonardo? Not sure I like that one, but I can fit it in. However, once we get into them having been behind everything from the Battle of Hastings to the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, then I just get annoyed.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 7 2004, 01:19 AM
Post #203

Canon Companion

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,187

Actually I was thinking of them behind everything from the fall of the Qin Empire to the Manhattan Project. :D

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Dec 7 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #204

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

I wasn't advocating IE's being behind practically everything, and perhaps not even the most major things. Rather than influencing Hitler to attack Russia or Japan to bomb Pearl Harbour, perhaps an IE helped run the so-called Secret Railway that smuggled allies out of occupied France.

I do like the idea of Hitler and Himmler's obssession with the occult being the result of some kind of encounter with an IE or GD. It's historically such a... what's the word I'm looking for? Something that doesn't fit well into the overall scheme of things. You take my point? Now that would be good IE-fodder. Not starting, or even continuing, the war, but being (deliberately or perhaps accidentally) responsible for the obssession with magic. Then you get the best of both worlds - humanity is still responsible for the war, nobody's sacrifice is diminished, but you work in IE involvement.

By the same token, I can live with Leonardo the elf having been or having influenced Leonardo da Vinci. Da Vinci was such a spike in the smooth graph of humanity's progression that, from a writer's point of view, he's a natural for picking out to ascribe some alternative influence to.

I think the one thing we need to bear in mind when looking at history from an SR perspective is that, in a world where there are IE's and GD's (and especially egotisitcal bastards like Ehran and Alachia), we practically have to assume they've had some influence on events. Our goal as writers, then, is to decide how much influence and to locate suitable events to use as examples.

+Quote Post
Johnny Reb
post Dec 7 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #205

Target

Member No.: 850

Gah. They Godwinned my thread.

To steer things back (Or, well, to attempt to do so hopelessly), the Dragons are rated at 10 for Great Status but none top Initiate 20 (And, in truth, probably all but Dunk and Lung are under 15) ... If the IEs come in at 90 or whatnot (Thus conflicting with published stuff), they'd have a wee bit of an edge, i'd think, instead of being under the GD power level, which they are.

Then again, I also wonder that, if a simple Magic Fingers 1 spell was nigh-impossible to cast during the downcycle, how hard would it have been to pick up, say, Initiate Grade 5 through a magical ritual? Could it be that magic worked, but at a cost? Say 100 Karma per Force of a spell to cast, 10,000 Karma per initiate grade earned? That'd bleed off that extra pretty fast, I'd think. :)

-- Johnny Reb, unboxed.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #206

Manus Celer Dei

We have a canon statement of how high Harlequin’s initiate grade is, or at least a range. If we accept your rationalization, then that just means he earned that much more karma.

~J

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 7 2004, 04:18 PM
Post #207

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

Actually, considering that according to canon, Harlequin's stats are a series of asterisks, I'm going to guess his karma total is "*".

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #208

Manus Celer Dei

I always did hate rolling * dice.

Just don't tell your computer to roll them.

~J

+Quote Post
Johnny Reb
post Dec 7 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #209

Target

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
We have a canon statement of how high Harlequin’s initiate grade is, or at least a range. If we accept your rationalization, then that just means he earned that much more karma.

~J

Well, we have 'Double-digit grade' or even 'High Double-digit grade', but, we also have level 30 listed as 'Vastly more powerful than any living thing', so, I tend to think of 'High double-digit' as 15-20. He's not on par with Dunk, nor as powerful as the master of the Black Lodge (The strongest single magician in the 6th world), so, 15 sounds about right.

-- Johnny Reb

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #210

Manus Celer Dei

That's what I used to think, too. But I really don't think you can make a case for "high double-digit" until you've got at the very least more digits below you than above, and certainly not when you're at most a measly 20% on the scale of double-digits or lower.

~J

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 7 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #211

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

I can see Reb's point that "high double digit" might be interpreted to mean, "high, double digit". In SR terms, Grade 20 is both high, and double digit. Largely a moot point since they don't have number values attached anyway. Harlequin, the plot device, will be as powerful as the plot requires. In a high powered game, he might have to be on the yon side of Grade 50. In a lower powered game, 20 might be all you need. He's going to come out different in every game he shows up in.

It really comes down to how many IE's can dance on the head of a pin, when you start talking about definable numbers.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #212

Manus Celer Dei

I don't think that's a reasonably defensible reinterpretation of the text, but the rest of your point stands.

~J

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Dec 7 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #213

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

It also depends completelely on your style. We had a DM who statted out Harlequin and Ehran for the Harlequin campaign. Why? Becuase he knew how the players would react and short of Flash or Superman, nobody dodges that many rounds. Sad to say in that campaign both died horrible deaths.

Why? Becuase we were playing the type of people who kill people who use us that way.
Did the GM even blink? No.

Did we blink when they miraculously returned from the dead? No.

Did they retaliate? They tried. two years of game play revolved around the games of tag untill finally we had enough and offered peace which they accepted.

Was it Canon? Who cares it was too much fun. Especially the three way fight between the Ex-Bodyguard, Harlequin, and Ehran. So many dice :eek:

+Quote Post
akarenti
post Dec 7 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #214

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,785

A Grade 10 initiate with liberal use of Anchoring and Quickening can take quite a few hits. Force 10 armor, plus Force 10 Limited Armor (Bullets), plus Improved Reactions +3 and a few Improved Attributes spells. Not un-killable, but could probably survive long enough to escape, at least.

Add in Superhuman mental stats and Elven quickness for Combat Pool, and Karma Pools between 30 and 50 (equivilent to GD as per DotSW), and a few high force Great Form Elementals on call.

On a somewhat realted note, I would kind of like to see stats for Leonardo. Asside from Harleqin, he's really the only other IE who doesn't fit with steriotypical IE mindset. How exactly does he access the Matrix?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #215

Manus Celer Dei

Trodes or a datajack, I'd guess.

~J

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Dec 7 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #216

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

I thought he uised an optical cyberdeclk to read light beams. I figured he used magic to make lasers that sent the light to the deck.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #217

Manus Celer Dei

All cyberdecks are optical :P

~J

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Dec 7 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #218

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

QUOTE (lorthazar)
Becuase he knew how the players would react and short of Flash or Superman, nobody dodges that many rounds.

The point of immortal elves and great dragons, using your bullet-dodging example and a bit of quote mutilation from The Matrix, is that they don't have to. I'll even use an example of one of my characters, rather than an immortal elf... though people who know of the character in question probably will roll their eyes at the "rather than an immortal elf" comment. Still, it's easily doable.

We take the spell "Personal Physical Barrier", which is Physical Barrier with the Personal spell modifier. He casts it into a Sustaining Focus(Force 6), and pours enough karma pool and spell pool into the casting to get the maximum of 12 successes(i.e. +Force to the Barrier Rating, which is initially rated at the spell's Force). All of a sudden, this character has a Barrier Rating of 12.

He then got into a bit of a skirmish with some shedim in a third-world nation, that included a number of formerly alive police forces with kalishnikovs. During the course of a running battle through a jungle, he took a half-dozen rounds from these weapons. At 8M, they didn't even penetrate his barrier. Even if they'd been using heavy machine guns or shotguns, at 10S, they wouldn't have penetrated his armor. Only sniper rifles would come close, and it'd be trivial to soak the final damage dealt by them. Bear in mind that these guys weren't special forces in life, so they weren't packing APDS.

The GM only mentioned that the rounds hit. There was no diceroll, because there was no need for a diceroll. With that kind of magical barrier, it's very difficult to harm a target with small-arms fire. The barrier ultimately ended up succumbing to the melee attack of a shedim that, through virtue of the feast available to one of its kind in the genocide campaign that had been going on, had managed to crank itself up to Force 12 with Spirit Energy of 7. He still survived the attack, and was able to destroy the shedim, but his barrier paid the price. Up and until that point, he was virtually untouchable with respect to physical attacks. When the shedim was toast, he re-cast the armor spell and was once more no longer terribly worried about a stray 7.62mm round or three.

Now, he's a powerful magician, but this isn't exactly a godlike spell. An Immortal Elf could likely(and would likely) have something like this at a much higher Force, and equally greater degree of success in the casting. We're talking Barrier Rating in the 20-range. They could take a hail of .50 rounds like a summer shower, probably even withstand a direct strike from a rocket or mortar. Why bother dodging, when (if you're smart, and they are) you have that kind of defense? Dodging just takes time away from retaliation.

Oh, and now, replace "Immortal Elf" with "Great Dragon", and think that they start off with at least 12 points of Hardened Armor. Suddenly, "nuke it from orbit" becomes more than just a salute to Aliens.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 8 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #219

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Like everything in SR, canon or not, YMMV.

The cybertechnology book was one of the silliest source books released, in my opinion.

I also know gamers who live and die by the book.

If you like IEs controlling and influencing history, go for it. If you don't, easily snipped from any game.

Personally, I enjoyed the clues and threads running through the source books and the shadowy ties to EarthDawn, but trying to interact with plot devices in any sort of meaningful fashion in-game would just be annoying. Being on a first-name basis with King Arthur just diminishes the overall fun of reading the books.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 8 2004, 01:46 AM
Post #220

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'm going to have Harley bring back the Round Table. Who should he choose for his new 'Merlin'?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 8 2004, 01:47 AM
Post #221

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Ehran ;)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 8 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #222

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I actually gave that some serious thought, but figured that Ehran'd refuse, so it'd be moot. :P

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 8 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #223

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Aina. Hey, it's the 2060s, chummer! Nobody said Merlin HAD to be a male. And the Lady of the Lake needn't be female.

Merlin = Aina
Lady of the lake = Ehran

:D

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 8 2004, 02:11 AM
Post #224

Manus Celer Dei

I always did think Ehran'd look good in a dress…

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 8 2004, 04:47 AM
Post #225

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

seriously. even if an IE is only grade 20, like Mercer's, why in the world would they not have a force 10+ personal barrier spell in place at all times? i know i sure as hell would.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.